Mander Organ Builders Forum

Dr Stanley Monkhouse, FRCO, FRCSI - RIP

I have just heard the sad news of the death of William Stanley Monkhouse, universally known as Stanley, and a member and regular contributor here.

Stanley was a man of many gifts. As a boy he was a chorister of Carlisle Cathedral. I believe Carlisle was his home city. He later graduated as a Fellow of the Royal College of Organists, benefiting he told me from lessons with Noel Rawsthorne.  Stanley held church appointments at Nottingham among other places. He was also distinguished in the medical and surgical worlds, again in Nottingham, and in Dublin where he was the Professor of Anatomy at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. Relatively late in life he had a call to the Christian ministry, serving incumbencies both in the Church of Ireland and the Church of England, latterly as Vicar of Burton upon Trent where he had responsibility for three churches, two of them large, and one particularly magnificent of almost cathedral proportions, including work by G F Bodley.

He is survived by family in this country, Ireland and USA.

He will be particularly remembered for his sense of fun and enjoying pricking pomposity, which some people were unable to comprehend, while being a deeply spiritual person who baulked at some of what he saw as modern superficiality.

May he rest in peace.

https://www.achurchnearyou.com/church/4195/news/109630/former-vicar-dies/

Dr W. S. Monkhouse, F.R.C.O (Chm), M.A., M.B., B. Chir., Ph.D., M.A.

Very few distinguish themselves in more than one field. Some occasionally in two but rarely in three or four! Stanley was one such man. F.R.C.O., he was a fine organist. M.A., M.B., a Cambridge qualified Doctor, B.Chir., F.R.C.S.I. and Surgeon. Ph.D., one who undertook Doctoral studies on an original subject M.A., and Priest. He also had spent a year studying the History of Art.  Rowland is completely right, he enjoyed pricking pomposity. Some, I suspect his Bishop, found him difficult. I found him a warm and generous man, an authority in all kinds of areas. We corresponded regularly via this website and others, and by email, and I was sad to read the news of his death.

There was a fascinating interview with him in the Church Times.

Interview: Stanley Monkhouse, anatomist, vicar, and musician (churchtimes.co.uk)

May he rest in peace.

Thank you to S_L for filling out further details of Stanley’s remarkable life.  Interesting to learn that three of us (and doubtless many others) regularly corresponded with Stanley by email without having met him.  In my case the introduction began when I wrote something on the ‘Thinking Anglicans’ website to which Stanley responded by referring to my contributions on the Mander board.  That led, unexpectedly, to an exchange of literally hundreds of emails; Stanley did not always agree with my public - or private - pronouncements and was always direct, but invariably kind, in saying so!  I happen to know that he had an enormous circle of correspondents and they included the Bishop of Lichfield.  My impression is that this was one bishop who understood Stanley and ‘went along’ with his sometimes unorthodox procedures: notably by baptising infants from a neighbouring parish ‘the other side of the river’ in Burton, and hence in a different diocese, where the incumbents denied baptism to some children whose parents did not fulfil their necessary criteria.  Stanley regularly made good this unchristian behaviour with his own special enhanced baptism liturgy, and said that his bishop both knew this and was not stopping him!

He was one of those of whom countless anecdotes could be related, many of them hilarious and enhanced with his own brand of wit, though I can imagine that not everybody would 'get' some of it and others might even be offended.  I first came across him many years ago when he contacted me out of the blue about the large 4 manual Hope-Jones organ that had been installed in St Paul's, Burton upon Trent - one of his three churches there.  He had come across an article on my website which discussed it in detail, and I recollect that he was intending to print it off and leave copies at the back of the church.  (He might have thought better of it though when he discovered it ran to 100 pages!).  He was also delighted to learn that the console of this instrument had been preserved by the Lancastrian Theatre Organ Trust and placed in their Hope-Jones museum in Manchester, where I believe it still resides (along with another H-J/Norman & Beard console of similar size from St Modwen's, Burton - another of his churches).

Rowland mentioned that Stanley had lived in Nottingham when his career took him to the medical faculty of the university, and as part of exercising his musical talents there I know that he also became President of the Organists' Association for a spell.

As well as the interview in the Church Times which Rowland linked to above, together with his contributions to 'Thinking Anglicans' ("yes, yes, I know"  quoth he on one occasion), he also maintained a blog where he posted many essays as the muse moved him.  As I write, the last one can be found at:

https://ramblingrector.me/2023/06/28/why-do-i-bother/

By clicking the 'previous' button at top right you can move back through as many of the others as you wish.

Many will miss him, and will also want to wish his family well at this sad and difficult time.

In the interests of accuracy, the Church Times article was linked by S_L.

Yes, his ‘Rambling Rector’ website was full of interest (but will it be preserved?).  As well as his final offering which you mention, I think his homily which immediately precedes it “Self and Social”, beginning with his response to horrendous murders, coincidentally in Nottingham, of people known to him is worth reading for a picture of his compassion and anger over injustice.

I write a week on from hearing this tragic news.  I first met Stanley in the organ loft of St Mary’s Nottingham in 1975.  He immediately struck me as one of life’s ‘characters’.  He was a gifted polymath in so many ways – musical, medical and spiritual.  We shared our musical interests and also trained together for a half-marathon when our paths crossed at the University of Nottingham in the early 80’s.  He was President of the local Organists’ Society in ’84-’85 and I had the privilege to be his successor.  Not surprisingly he had little time for some of the older members of the Society Committee.  When the 1876 Bishop organ in High Pavement Unitarian Chapel (Nottingham) was about to be removed, Stanley was quick to accept my invitation to make a private professional recording.  His long list of qualifications has already been noted, but I should add he also attained LRAM and ARCM.  The list of post-nominals became too long to fit on the Society membership card.  He was very proud of his Nigel Church house organ (from his mother’s bequest) which he subsequently moved to Ireland when he took up the Chair in Anatomy at the RCSI.  We kept in touch over the years – even more so when electronic messaging became popular.  It was a terrible shock to hear of his passing, and so unexpected.  If I could recount one anecdote to sum up Stanley it would be this.  When Vicars retire, they are ‘expected’ to leave the Parish to enable the new incumbent to settle in without their predecessor looking over their shoulders.  Stanley and Susan had plans to retire back to their roots near Penrith, and a cottage had been purchased, but then these plans were reversed.  When Stanley retired he simply purchased his own house almost opposite the Vicarage on Rangemore Street.  That was so typical of Stanley.  He continued to be Licensed in the Diocese of Lichfield.  His last service was at St John the Divine Horninglow on the Sixth Sunday after Trinity.  Fortunately it was live-streamed on YouTube and I have a downloaded copy to forever remember this remarkable man and a trusted friend for so many years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M45fVKCh4z0&t=2238s

7 hours ago, Dr Nigel H Day said:

His long list of qualifications has already been noted, but I should add he also attained LRAM and ARCM.  

If I could recount one anecdote to sum up Stanley it would be this.  When Vicars retire, they are ‘expected’ to leave the Parish to enable the new incumbent to settle in without their predecessor looking over their shoulders.  Stanley and Susan had plans to retire back to their roots near Penrith, and a cottage had been purchased, but then these plans were reversed.  

I knew an organist, deceased but still shall be nameless, an FRCO who maintained that he had played the same three pieces for LRAM, ARCM, FLCM & FTCL and two of them for the FRCO!!! I played the same two pieces for ARCM (Teachers) & FTCL. 

And I always thought that Stanley had retired to the Lake District. Somehow I had that impression from his writings - it shows you how wrong you can be!!

Recently I met a consultant surgeon (FRCSI), now practising in England but who had qualified at Dublin.  I asked him if he knew Stanley and it turned out that he was his Professor of Anatomy at the time.  He said that Stanley "had a fine mind", although he did not know of his musical activities and professional qualifications, saying that "he must have kept that well hidden from us".  He was saddened to hear that Stanley had passed away.

The conversation reminded me not only of how well known Stanley was within so many different circles, but of the large number of people he helped to qualify and, in so doing, to have assisted them to go on to help so many others in their turn.

Just announced in the Irish Times:

MONKHOUSE - Reverend Dr Stanley, passed away suddenly on August 11, 2023, aged 73. He is survived by his wife Susan, daughter Victoria, son Edward and granddaughter Abigail, predeceased by his eldest son Hugh. A funeral service will be held at St Paul's Church, St Paul's Square, Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire, DE14 2FZ on Thursday, September 7 at 2.15pm.

A memorial service in Ireland will follow with a date to be confirmed. Family flowers only please. All further enquiries to Wellings Funeral Service. Tel: 0044 1283 563555.

Seeing Nigel Day's reference to High Pavement Unitarian Church,Nottingham, reminds me of a Facebook conversation I had with Stanley a couple of years ago.  I mentioned as an aside, that, having myself been brought up as a Unitarian, some theological point he had made in a blog post was "very Unitarian"  He replied "Oh, splendid!!"

• 2 weeks later...

I hope my first post here meets expectations of more established members. I first touched base with Dr Monkhouse a few years ago discussing an array of topics related to the organ. It was more than a pleasure to invite him to Whitehaven to give a recital on the 1906 Harrison and arrange for him to visit St Bees. He wrote the most informative of papers on a number of local instruments. A true inspiration to myself, we spoke and exchanged ideas to underpin a potential PhD on numerous occasions. I will always be grateful to him for his generosity, infinite patience, sharing his knowledge, wisdom, and experience. Shorty after I heard the sad news, I  discovered the complete digital video recording of his wonderful Whitehaven recital. A wonderful memory of a truly brilliant man.

Although I did not personally meet him, I had the pleasure to admire his Nigel Church organ when I called in at his homeI to collect copies of The Organ he was selling together with other rare books on organ.
In light of forumites’ contributions, I certainly missed meeting someone very special..I value the privilege of seeing his residence Church organ even more so.

I was not able to attend Stanley’s funeral at Burton upon Trent yesterday.  It was a Requiem Mass, and the only report of it I have is from a non-musician.  The final hymn was “Guide me, O Thou Great Redeemer” and, unfortunately, no details of other music, such as the Mass setting.  There was an impressive attendance by clergy and laity alike.  The Bishop of Lichfield was represented by the Bishop of Stafford who spoke at the end of the service.  A lengthy eulogy was given by a priest and former colleague of Stanley’s in the neighbouring diocese of Derby, literally the other side of the river from Stanley’s last parish.  It says much about Stanley that his former diocesan bishop in Ireland travelled all the way to Burton to be present yesterday.  Another indicator: this thread has already received 1,500 ‘views’.   

There is to be a further commemoration, a memorial service in Ireland.

I did attend the Requiem Mass on Thursday.  St Paul's Church - a very short walk from the Vicarage and Stanley's 'retirement' home - was very full with a wide spectrum of friends from his various 'careers'.  There was no Mass setting as such - simply a spoken service.  It was a very moving service and the eulogy was both thoughtful and - at times - humorous, as it recounted so many of Stanley's behaviours and beliefs.  The Monkhouse family have committed to maintaining Stanley's 'Rambling Rector Retired' blog, so we will have this to reminisce upon for many years to come.

Would it be possible to have a brief summary of the order of service: other hymns and voluntaries?  I assume “Guide me, O Thou Great Redeemer” was sung to ‘Cwm Rhondda’.

Stanley was passionate about the hymns of Charles Wesley.  I recall his saying that one of the finest catholic Marian hymns was written by Wesley.  

I am flattered to have been quoted in the eulogy! "Very few distinguish themselves ........................."

Stanley and I communicated a number of times. I shall miss him!

May he rest in peace.

Hello all - Stanley's son here.

Lovely to read such nice comments about Dad - thank you. 

FYI Facebook have deleted dad's page, if any of you were friends of his. We asked them to memorialize it, but it seems they had other ideas. 

How do we get a copy of that Whitehaven recording that Micheal Farrar has? Mum would like a copy. Please and thanks. 

Regarding Dad's funeral, here is what was played:

This was before the service, but as I was outside waiting for the hearse to arrive, I missed it. Very unfortunate indeed.

Prelude and Fugue in E Minor (‘The Wedge’) S. 548         Johann Sebastian Bach

Choral Prelude: ‘Op, alle, som på Jorden bor’                      Jesper Madsen

“Rise up, all ye that live upon the earth”

Choral Prelude:  St Cross                                                               C. Hubert H. Parry

Voluntary                                                                                            Thomas Tomkins

and here is the breakdown from the service itself: 

"As the Cortege (can't manage the accents with this program) entered I played an arrangement of the Siciliano from Bach's 2nd Sonata for Flute and Piano.

He who would valiant be (Monk's Gate)
Teach me my God and King (Sandys)
O Thou who camest from above (Hereford)
Guide me O thou great Redeemer (Cwm Rhondda)
Improvisation on Veni Creator during the communion
At the end: Bach 'St Anne' Fugue in Eb major BWV 552"

We did mean to include "Glorious things of thee are spoken" (which we were going to have to "Austrian Hymn" by Franz Josef Haydn), but we cocked it up and got confused in all the madness. 

Sorry for all the fonts - I don't know where all the relevant commands are on this forum.

Best wishes, 
Ed M