Mander Organ Builders Forum

Norwich Cathedral

Martin Cooke

And it had occurred to me that maybe it was all a 'set-up' of some sort and the side of the organ case was fully-protected etc. All done for dramatic effect and I/we have fallen for it. In the spirit of 'handsoff's' afterthought, above, I think enough's been said. If nothing else, it makes for a bit of a yarn.

11 hours ago, Martin Cooke said:

And it had occurred to me that maybe it was all a 'set-up' of some sort and the side of the organ case was fully-protected etc. All done for dramatic effect and I/we have fallen for it. In the spirit of 'handsoff's' afterthought, above, I think enough's been said. If nothing else, it makes for a bit of a yarn.

If that had been the case, I should thank him for his foresight and good idea.

10 hours ago, Martin Cooke said:

Canterbury's morning Eucharist last Sunday had to be cut short because of a security alert, and then, as many will know, there was Chichester! 

At Canterbury the Mass was coming to a close and they were singing the final hymn when the Celebrant, the Canon Missioner, asked people to, quietly, leave the building because of a security alert.

At Chichester, during Evensong, which was being broadcast, activists, from Christian Climate Action, stood up holding placards which read 'Chichester Diocese Funds Climate Chaos'.

I don't know the extent of the security alert at Canterbury but I am absolutely certain that, whilst we should be aware of the damage we are doing to our planet, and do our best to 'do our bit' to counteract that damage,  Interrupting Divine Worship is not the way to go about things!!! I noticed, amongst the protesters, a number of 'dog collars'!!! Shameful!!

I can confirm that the 'security alert' was a practice at Canterbury.  My twins sons are in the choir and were highly amused.  I was waiting outside in the car, drinking my coffee and was bemused by the fact that the congregation and cathedral ushers were all outside. The Remembrance Day outburst was unfortunate, and as someone said - who would be foolish enough to stage a protest when surrounded by large numbers of our armed services!!