Mander Organ Builders Forum

Fete, By Jean Langlais

Justadad

Thanks, Graham

I'm sure both links will prove very useful.

Best wishes

J

I found this while trawling the web http://music.netstoreusa.com/gst/WBgstc00884.shtml - you might give it a try.

You could also try this service http://www.organmusic.org.uk/Cat1006.pdf. although you'd need to know which volume it appeared in before ordering.

G

Hi

Does anyone know how or where I might acquire, legitimately, a copy?

Thanks

J

If it is out of print can one therefore have photocopies done? If so there are a number of organists who play the piece who could be approached.

AJJ

If it is out of print can one therefore have photocopies done? If so there are a number of organists who play the piece who could be approached.

AJJ

To answer Alastair's question, as far as I am aware the fact that a piece of music is out of print does not mean that one may legally photocopy it.

The best approach would be to approach the publishers and enquire whether they can supply a copy, or on what terms they will give consent for you to make a copy yourself. Be prepared to make a payment to the publisher for this.

I was in the same position as Justadad's son twenty years ago, and my father approached Novello and Stainer & Bell to obtain two pieces that I wished to obtain but were out of print at the time. These were supplied on payment of a fee and the copies bear labels stating that they were made with the authorisation of the publisher.

The Music Publishers Association (www.mpaonline.org.uk) publish some guidelines in their 'Code of Fair Practice' that may help here. Have a look at page 6 of the Code (www.mpaonline.org.uk/files/pdf/Code_of_Fair_Practice.pdf) which sets out some other instances in which it would be acceptable to make photocopies as well (eg to eliminate awkward page-turns).

Hope this helps,

Nick

To answer Alastair's question, as far as I am aware the fact that a piece of music is out of print does not mean that one may legally photocopy it.

The best approach would be to approach the publishers and enquire whether they can supply a copy, or on what terms they will give consent for you to make a copy yourself. Be prepared to make a payment to the publisher for this.

I was in the same position as Justadad's son twenty years ago, and my father approached Novello and Stainer & Bell to obtain two pieces that I wished to obtain but were out of print at the time. These were supplied on payment of a fee and the copies bear labels stating that they were made with the authorisation of the publisher.

The Music Publishers Association (www.mpaonline.org.uk) publish some guidelines in their 'Code of Fair Practice' that may help here. Have a look at page 6 of the Code (www.mpaonline.org.uk/files/pdf/Code_of_Fair_Practice.pdf) which sets out some other instances in which it would be acceptable to make photocopies as well (eg to eliminate awkward page-turns).

Hope this helps,

Nick

Good idea - thanks for this clarification!!

AJJ

I found this while trawling the web http://music.netstoreusa.com/gst/WBgstc00884.shtml - you might give it a try.

You could also try this service http://www.organmusic.org.uk/Cat1006.pdf. although you'd need to know which volume it appeared in before ordering.

G

The latter is particularly useful, especially buying Alain or Messiaen scores which would otherwise cost the earth

The piece was also recorded many years ago by Graham Barber on his debut recording from Norwich Cathedral.

I know the piece was out of print for a long time although a few years ago I did see it reissued under an American banner (the same publishers who publish Garth Edmundson's Vom himmel Hoch - I cannot recall their name without checking my score at home).

Many years ago when I was young and innocent I obtained a copy from another cathedral organist who simply sent me a copy of his score when I made a polite enquiry. Whilst I would like to acknowledge his generosity, perhaps it is best not to name him in view of the very correct observations that have been made in this thread about the lawfulness or otherwise of photocopying.

I think that the best approach must be to write to the publishsers for an authorised copy, alternatively, directions on what would be acceptable in these circumstances. I have done this on a number of occasions in the past and have usually been met with a helpful response.

M

Both Sarah Baldock (Winchester) and Matthew Martin (Westminster Cathedral) have recorded Fete so it might be worth contacting them to find out how they secured a copy.

Ed

And so has Colin Walsh (Lincoln Cathedral), however he may well have got his score from Jean Langlais himself

I know the piece was out of print for a long time although a few years ago I did see it reissued under an American banner (the same publishers who publish Garth Edmundson's Vom himmel Hoch - I cannot recall their name without checking my score at home).

My copy was published by H.W.Gray (now an imprint of Warner) in their Saint Cecilia Series copyright 1949 (renewed 1977). I bought it about 18 months ago for £3.99 (US price $4.95) from Boosey & Hawkes.

If it is out of print and Roger Molyneaux (www.organmusic.co.uk) doesn't have it, try e-bay; there are two or three sellers who regularly list French music at sensible prices.

Thanks for everyone's advice and suggestions.

I tried to find Warners so I could write to them as suggested, but it seems that they were acquired by Alfred Publishing in 2005. Alfred, helpfully, provides a facility to search their catalogue, but the term "Langlais" produces no results.

I've sent a 'permissions' request to Alfred.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

End of thread ...

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice (and copies).

I was sent a photocopy by Prof Marie-Louise Langlais which she kindly signed for Lawrence. Alfred Publishing gave permission to make a copy free of charge (which I received today). And Martin Cooke, of this parish, most graciously donated his original, bought some 30 years ago.

Roger Molyneux didn't have a copy, but L has bought several of the Faber Early Organ Music volumes from him, together with some Messiaen (so far - he has a wish list to work through). I forwarded that link to three other dads of four other young organists, and they say they will all be placing orders too.

Please may I record how enormously generous and supportive I have found this board and its members to be.

Best wishes

barry/Justadad

End of thread ...

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice (and copies).

I was sent a photocopy by Prof Marie-Louise Langlais which she kindly signed for Lawrence. Alfred Publishing gave permission to make a copy free of charge (which I received today). And Martin Cooke, of this parish, most graciously donated his original, bought some 30 years ago.

Roger Molyneux didn't have a copy, but L has bought several of the Faber Early Organ Music volumes from him, together with some Messiaen (so far - he has a wish list to work through). I forwarded that link to three other dads of four other young organists, and they say they will all be placing orders too.

Please may I record how enormously generous and supportive I have found this board and its members to be.

Best wishes

barry/Justadad

Excellent news! I am glad that your request has been successful. What a thoughtful gesture of Mme Langlais.

• 8 months later...

And a wonderful piece it is too ! I have heard it twice recently; once as a Evensong voluntary played by Sarah Baldock at Winchester and in recital, at the Temple Church, by Colin Walsh.

In the Labousky biography-has anyone read this?- she explains that JL composed Fete to celebrate both the Liberation of Paris in 1945 and hiis own appointment to St Clothide

And a wonderful piece it is too ! I have heard it twice recently; once as a Evensong voluntary played by Sarah Baldock at Winchester and in recital, at the Temple Church, by Colin Walsh.

In the Labousky biography-has anyone read this?- she explains that JL composed Fete to celebrate both the Liberation of Paris in 1945 and hiis own appointment to St Clothide

I have the Labounsky book - it is a good read (and chock-full of information!). I've also had the pleasure to meet Dr. Labounsky and take part in an improvisation class she taught... she's a delightful woman and a fine organist.

Best,

- G