Mander Organ Builders Forum

Worcester Cathedral

Lucasorg

Ooooo, I like that idea. Does anyone know if it exists anywhere else, or is it a new idea. I've not come across it before. :unsure:

Finally, no need to search for the + button! :)

The whole piston set up there sounds very flexible - giving each organist a choice for his/her preference, rather than arguing the pros and cons of sequencers, steppers, generals, divisionals, etc...

(Ah, but can you turn them all off so that you can pretend there aren't any there at all for playing early music? :lol: )

This is a fine example of innovation, that I have been bleating on about in another thread. A simple idea that you can choose to use or ignore if you wish. May I add my thanks to Adrian for giving us this fascinating and exciting insight into the installation of the new organ.

JC

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"This is a fine example of innovation, that I have been bleating on about in another thread."

I hardly dare engage John Carter on this issue after his apparent disgust at my contributions during the week, but to suggest that such a device is indicative of the innovation that will save the organ culture reminded me of a spoof article by Stephen Bicknell mocking the writing of the former editor of 'The Organ' and the (perceived) inadequacy thereof. He writes a wonderful assessment of a (fictitious) organ by the (equally fictitious) Agnus Smethwick and comments that:

"There are several facilities offered to the organist not normally found

on even the most complete schemes, including......Smethwick's marvellous patent

'Piston Quiz' device, which, at only one touch, immediately returns all

the combinations across the organ back to those left by the previous

player. The addition of a reverser to this device would of course be a

further advantage."

I offer it here with tongue strictly in cheek (as did Stephen Bicknell) and imply no judgement whatever of the usefulness or otherwise of Worcester's new console furniture.

Speaking of innovation, I know of an excellent organ builder (who shall remain nameless) who is developing a device which makes bellows behave as if they are being manually operated, while connected to an electric blower. I've actually seen the prototype! Now, that's my kind of innovation, although I suspect John Carter might not agree :lol:

Greetings from the tropical Netherlands

Bazuin

"Speaking of innovation, I know of an excellent organ builder (who shall remain nameless) who is developing a device which makes bellows behave as if they are being manually operated, while connected to an electric blower."

(Quote)

This exists since some years. And it works.....But maybe the reason lies elsewhere than believed.

Nearly all the electric blowers placed between say 1920-1950 are 1)- too weak (one sees the

main reservoir dropping while the tutti is played...) 2)- Very badly placed (in the tower, etc, several

metres away from the organ in order to avoid the noise...). So we should compare with a sufficient

electric blower, and sensibly situated (within the organ, or just by, then with the air intake inside

the organ, and in a sound-deadening box).

As for innovation , I do not think we shall be able to innovate again without having recovered

all the historical chapters, that is, having understand them, rehabilitate them, and listened to

a sufficient number of credible examples of them -post-romantic things included-. From the Renaissance

to nowadays.

Pierre

This is done by Barthelemy Formentelli of Verona, and his pupil

Rudy Jacques, organ-builder in Hastière (10 Miles from here).

Here is a partial view of the system in the Jacques organ of Gerpinnes (BE):

http://www.orguesjacques.org/ge17.jpg

There is a kind of crankshaft above,driven by the electric motor, which

moves the bellows trough the shafts we see on the picture.

Pierre

Speaking of innovation, I know of an excellent organ builder (who shall remain nameless) who is developing a device which makes bellows behave as if they are being manually operated, while connected to an electric blower. I've actually seen the prototype! Now, that's my kind of innovation, although I suspect John Carter might not agree :lol:

But why an electric blower when there is so much expertise in windmill power in the Netherlands? Water could be pumped into a huge tank in the church tower to drive a hydraulic turbine on the blower. :lol:

JC

More photos with some details of carved pipe shades and decoration for the top of the cases, as well as upper boards and solenoids now in place.

My camera is giving up the ghost - through overuse, I expect, so watch out for a change in quality when the new toy arrives any time now....!!

A

Re planned wind pressures - John Norman says 5'' for Gt & Pd reeds, 7'' for Sw reeds and 13-3/4'' for the Tuba - p. 33 of the May 08 Organists' Review.

AJJ

...I don't get the Organist's Review!!!...

:angry:

A

No local Organists' Association huh? Perhaps with the new organ going in, now would be the time to get one going and then you could get the OR at a discount!

:angry:

Latest photos are available here. The console should soon be functioning and we are looking forward to hearing sounds for the first time sometime next week (all being well!).

A

Thank you for those Adrian, I am so glad you don't suffer from vertigo!!! Have you managed to find the spec of the Transept yet, but I imagine you are too busy with 3 Choirs at the moment. Is there a timescale on the big case taking a little walk to the other side, it looks an esay operation.. ahem!!!!

Barrie

Thank you for those Adrian, I am so glad you don't suffer from vertigo!!! Have you managed to find the spec of the Transept yet, but I imagine you are too busy with 3 Choirs at the moment. Is there a timescale on the big case taking a little walk to the other side, it looks an esay operation.. ahem!!!

The Transept spec went up on this thread some time back.....see here

Hope that helps!

A

Today all the facade flats have been populated and the gilded angels have been temporarily placed atop the case - there are small adjustments still to be made. Photos here.

A

It certainly looks very beautiful.

Thank you for these new photographs, Adrian.