Mander Organ Builders Forum

Worcester Cathedral

Lucasorg

Tom and Simon are doing the voicing, supported by most of the team in various ways, not least Ken himself.

A

Presumably this thread has gone all quiet because the voicers and fine tuners are at work... :rolleyes:

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SHHHH!!!!...

*whispers* Oops....Sorry!

Seriously....here are a few more photos of more pipework going in on both sides. Voicing is now well under way and we are to take the scaffolding down during the week beginning 30th June. Pay a visit if you're in the area to get a first glimpse!

How exciting! Lucky you! B)

Our latest batch of photos is here - watch out for next week when the scaffolding comes down and we all get a clear, unobstructed view for the first time.

The Great is now sounding splendid with all stops tuned and generally voiced, at least for those pipes on the facade. There is always a little fine adjustment to be made in other areas. The pedal still lacks its upperwork, but those will go in once the bigger ranks are all stable and balanced. The Swell has a few teething problems as yet, but the reeds sound magnificent. Strings on Choir and Swell are gloriously rich and complement eachother, growing still further when added to the Great Gamba and Violone along with the Solo Hope-Jones Viole d'Orchestre. Then you can add the Sub and Super couplers.....UMMMM

You all need to come and hear it!

Best wishes,

A

Our latest batch of photos is here - watch out for next week when the scaffolding comes down and we all get a clear, unobstructed view for the first time.

The Great is now sounding splendid with all stops tuned and generally voiced, at least for those pipes on the facade. There is always a little fine adjustment to be made in other areas. The pedal still lacks its upperwork, but those will go in once the bigger ranks are all stable and balanced. The Swell has a few teething problems as yet, but the reeds sound magnificent. Strings on Choir and Swell are gloriously rich and complement eachother, growing still further when added to the Great Gamba and Violone along with the Solo Hope-Jones Viole d'Orchestre. Then you can add the Sub and Super couplers.....UMMMM

You all need to come and hear it!

Best wishes,

A

Adrian, I have to say thank you for these wonderful photos of the new organ going in over the last few months. I have really enjoyed coming on here every day while at work to see how things were going. I am really pleased the Cathedral took the bold decision to do this - your photographic record shows the artistic integrity that has gone into the new instrument and helps to prove that it was the right thing to do.

With that said, how does the sound compare to the old organ in terms or projection into the building, balancing etc. as far as you can tell at this stage? Also, is the organ voiced with a modern tone or is it designed to sound similar to the old instrument?

Adrian, I have to say thank you for these wonderful photos of the new organ going in over the last few months. I have really enjoyed coming on here every day while at work to see how things were going. I am really pleased the Cathedral took the bold decision to do this - your photographic record shows the artistic integrity that has gone into the new instrument and helps to prove that it was the right thing to do.

With that said, how does the sound compare to the old organ in terms or projection into the building, balancing etc. as far as you can tell at this stage? Also, is the organ voiced with a modern tone or is it designed to sound similar to the old instrument?

That's a tough one to answer in words. As the scaffolding is still currently in position, the organ sounds very muffled from the console, but from the crossing and the high altar, it projects with consummate clarity. Playing the organ from the mini voicing console up on the scaffolding is hair-raising - literally! The response of the building from there is also immense and very colourful - resonating much more than it used to do with the old organ.

Now, how do you explain voicing in words????.....

There is a huge range of colour in the new instrument. The Great chorus has a certain warmth whilst sparkling with great clarity. The Open is rich and fills the building on its own, while the Gamba adds a keen edge when required. The reeds cap the chorus and complement it, whilst being well able to stand on their own two feet as solo stops - Chris (my no.2) thought I was playing on the Tuba yesterday, though I was actually on the Great Trumpet. The Tuba knocked him sideways! Meanwhile the Great flute chorus is based on a truly huge and romantic metal open flute which also has great clarity and personality. The mutations all balance to perfection but can also add richness to the principals. The violone is cleverly judged to support the whole division, whilst working beautifully on its own and, separately, as a member of the pedal division.

The Swell is still in need of quite a bit of work at the moment, but the reeds are fiery whilst still able to blend; the strings are keen and warm, while the principal chorus is solid with a lovely mixture on top. The Vox and Oboe are yet to be put in place (tomorrow possibly).

The Choir has a lightness of touch at present, though the Trumpet is colourful as a chorus reed and the mixture crowns the tutti gently, but with a firm hand. The strings are also keen (keener!) and warm and complement those on the Swell.

The Solo has a terrific range of colour, more so than a typical Willis Solo as the Cor Anglais and Hautbois are much more individual than normal. The Solo flute is liquid and works well with both the reeds and the H-J String. The flutes here are perky and the Sesquialtera is bright and adds another dimension.

The Pedal is incomplete as yet, but it already has strength and warmth whilst retaining colour and variety.

Is it new or old in sound.....??? Well yes to both. I would say it has the clarity of a modern instrument on each and every stop, though it also has all the warmth and depth of tone you would expect in a typical cathedral organ (and more in places). It won't have its 32' flues and Open Wood etc until we have the cash to do phase 2 (Transept) but in the meantime, I wonder how much we will really miss them - it is already so full of colour.

Hope that's useful!

A

And here are a few more photos to whet your whistles.

Once the scaffolding is down, I shall have to start taking sonic photographs instead...that could be a challenge!

A

A bit 'anorack' perhaps (who cares - on here at any rate!) but a couple of my favourite CDs include Thomas Murray doing a 'tonal tour' of various instruments - all in the best possible taste I hasten to add. One is of the big Yale machine and the other of various large and small Hook instruments - all in the US. Some will find the thought of this horrendous but I am sure many here might be interested....! I once sat amazed as a teenager while the late Christopher Dearnley did something similar at St Paul's before the Mander rebuild.

Continuing thanks and amazement at all this however!

AJJ

Guest Roffensis
It won't have its 32' flues and Open Wood etc until we have the cash to do phase 2 (Transept) but in the meantime, I wonder how much we will really miss them - it is already so full of colour.

Hope that's useful!

A

Would the old 32s etc even be required now? One imagines that the new organ will naturally have sufficient weight of tone, without the addition of the pedal stops in the transept?

R

Would the old 32s etc even be required now? One imagines that the new organ will naturally have sufficient weight of tone, without the addition of the pedal stops in the transept?

Ken always conceived the new organ with the 2 32' ranks as part of it, but the pedal stops within the choir have been voiced to give as rich a sound as is possible in such a small area. I think it will work very well, though we shall miss the profundity of these grand old ranks until they become available. All donations towards future work gratefully received!

A

Guest Roffensis
Ken always conceived the new organ with the 2 32' ranks as part of it, but the pedal stops within the choir have been voiced to give as rich a sound as is possible in such a small area. I think it will work very well, though we shall miss the profundity of these grand old ranks until they become available. All donations towards future work gratefully received!

A

Hi Andrew, that's interesting. So which old ranks are being kept for the pedal?

Many thanks,

R

Hi Andrew, that's interesting. So which old ranks are being kept for the pedal?

err...it's Adrian...but never mind!

The old rank on the pedal is the former Choir Open Diapason, now reincarnated as the Choral Bass. I heard it for the first time this morning and it has huge presence and clarity.

A

Guest Roffensis
err...it's Adrian...but never mind!

The old rank on the pedal is the former Choir Open Diapason, now reincarnated as the Choral Bass. I heard it for the first time this morning and it has huge presence and clarity.

A

Sorry, Adrain yes....I have 'flu. Apologies :)

I meant what old pedal ranks are being reused in the transept?

Thanks again,

R

I meant what old pedal ranks are being reused in the transept?

The Hill Double Open Wood 32 and Double Open Diapason 32 (as it was originally called by Hill and later renamed Contra Violone) as well as the Open Wood 16 and Violone 16.

A

R

And leave a Cathedral organ without a 32' flue - this isn't Gloucester :lol:

And leave a Cathedral organ without a 32' flue - this isn't Gloucester :lol:

Im pleased to say its not Gloucester, although people do seem to like the organ there, I think a 32 Flue sound can be achieved by using the mutations in the Pedal division.

I hope the transpet section at Worcester will be added fairly quickly but as Adrian has stated many times its down to funding, Father Rogers can always supply the 32 flues as a temporary measure via the midi link.

Im pleased to say its not Gloucester, although people do seem to like the organ there, I think a 32 Flue sound can be achieved by using the mutations in the Pedal division.

Not necessarily. They did not work convincingly in the quiet parts of Franck's Deuxième Choral, during DJB's opening recital. In fact, the higher up the pedal board one plays, the less effective the result - particularly when playing quietly, which is one of the most useful effects of a real 32ft. wood (or metal) flue. The ability to rumble in an etherial manner, underneath a gently shimmering Vox Angelica appears to the the sole province of the genuine article.

However, they are certainly worth having - and they do improve the effect of the 32ft. reed in the tutti.

Looks brilliant! Hoping to make it for Thomas Trotter's recital. Is it in full working order now?

Just one or two things to sort out with the Swell engines, but otherwise, it's sounding amazing!

A