Mander Organ Builders Forum

Proms Organ Music

Choir Man

For those that missed it last week, Jonathan Scott's recital from the Royal Albert Hall is available on iPlayer. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p08n8ns0/bbc-proms-2020-the-symphonic-organ

A fantastic instrument (thanks partly to our hosts) played in the way it was intended to be. (Dare I also say that the acoustic in the RAH is enhanced for the lack of a live audience)

2 hours ago, Choir Man said:

For those that missed it last week, Jonathan Scott's recital from the Royal Albert Hall is available on iPlayer. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p08n8ns0/bbc-proms-2020-the-symphonic-organ

A fantastic instrument (thanks partly to our hosts) played in the way it was intended to be. (Dare I also say that the acoustic in the RAH is enhanced for the lack of a live audience)

Certainly enhanced by no audience, no coughing and hacking and no bodies to absorb the sound.

In the good old days they used to raise the orchestral canopy for organ recitals and to good effect, especially for those listening in the arena.  The, one day, during the lifting, a light fitting (or part of one) fell on the percussion section of the orchestra below.  Fortunately, the stage was empty.  As a result he canopy has not been moved since, but it does mean some of the sound goes over the top of it.  The best place to listen these days is from the balcony or even the gallery, in direct line of fire from the heavy reeds!

20 hours ago, East Kent Trombone said:

I wonder who is taking over the tuning since Manders went bust.

I believe (although I may well be wrong) that the contract for this was lost some time ago.

From this youtube video it may be assumed the current Custodian of the organ tunes the instrument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4iUnBnNJxs

What alarms me is the significant amounts of dirt and dust on the pipework. What on earth are they thinking?

It was good to hear the Albert Hall organ leading the singing of 'Jerusalem' last night rather than the Elgar orchestration usually used.

And, what seems to have become the norm, to hear the hauntingly beautiful rendition of the National Anthem by Benjamin Britten.

1 hour ago, S_L said:

It was good to hear the Albert Hall organ leading the singing of 'Jerusalem' last night rather than the Elgar orchestration usually used.

And, what seems to have become the norm, to hear the hauntingly beautiful rendition of the National Anthem by Benjamin Britten.

Yes!  Who needs an orchestra when you have an organ of that size?

AND, you'd save a lot of money, paying for only one musician rather than 80+ !

2 hours ago, S_L said:

I'm not so sure about this. The organ version was nicely played (was it GTB's arrangement we used to have in AMR?) but it was all very one dimensional compared to the colour and verve of the Elgar.

The Wallen 'realisation' only sprang to life for me in verse 2 when the Elgar elements were clearly evident in the overall texture.

Perhaps my TV's sound system is better than others - or was it the generous volume I always require for the last night of the proms - but I felt that the organ was sounding as good as ever. This year I made a special effort to sing along with all the old favourites, particularly given the last minute U-turn of the BBC. Weirdly the main thing I missed was the raucous cacophony of car horns and klaxons during the horn pipe.

7 hours ago, mrbouffant said:

I'm not so sure about this. The organ version was nicely played (was it GTB's arrangement we used to have in AMR?) but it was all very one dimensional compared to the colour and verve of the Elgar.

The Wallen 'realisation' only sprang to life for me in verse 2 when the Elgar elements were clearly evident in the overall texture.

Very apposite that Joseph Wicks' organ arrangement of the Elgar orchestration has just been published - see here