18 replies to this topic

#1 AJJ

AJJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:20 PM

If anyone out there is aware of or has a recording of the above - I would be very glad to know.

Thanks
AJJ
"…We can’t criticize the organ for being boring. In such cases it is the organist that is boring. There is no such thing as a boring organ."

#2 Brian Childs

Brian Childs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:45 PM

If anyone out there is aware of or has a recording of the above - I would be very glad to know.

Thanks
AJJ

Yes VPS 1030 The Organ in Ely Cathedral (recorded by Michael Smythe in January 1976). The other pieces are Bach BWV 532, Marchand Basse de trompette , Liszt BACH, Louis Couperin Chacone in C, Franck B minor Choral.

Brian Childs

#3 Jonathan Lane

Jonathan Lane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:08 AM

Thanks
AJJ

It was the voluntary on a Priory recording from Hereford Cathedral, played by David Briggs. There was also a great selection of other music sung superbly.

PRCD 247

Jonathan

#4 AJJ

AJJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 06:46 AM

Thanks all.

A
"…We can’t criticize the organ for being boring. In such cases it is the organist that is boring. There is no such thing as a boring organ."

#5 Paul Walton

Paul Walton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:05 AM

Thanks
AJJ

Played by Jeremy Filsell on 'Wondrous Machine' (organ music of Arthur Wills) - Guild.

Paul Walton

#6 AJJ

AJJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:00 PM

Played by Jeremy Filsell on 'Wondrous Machine' (organ music of Arthur Wills) - Guild.

Paul Walton

Thanks Paul

A

#7 Peter Clark

Peter Clark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:21 AM

Does anyone know if his "Millenium Rag" has been recorded?

Peter

#8 Paul Walton

Paul Walton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:43 AM

Does anyone know if his "Millenium Rag" has been recorded?

Peter

The Jeremy Filsell disc.
Incidentally, the sleeve notes mention that the first recording of the Carillon was Wills himself at Ely in 1976, but give no further details.

Paul

#9 handsoff

handsoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:27 AM

To drift slightly downwind of the topic, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the march "City of Ely" by Arthur Wills played after last week's Choral Evensong from Ely Cathedral. I've just got around to listening to my tape of it and had to play the closing voluntary twice! What a belter - and beautifully played on that fantastic H & H. It showed off the Solo reeds very nicely...Worth using the BBC R3 playback thingy.

P
Wanted Quantum Physicist, Dead and Alive

#10 AJJ

AJJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:07 PM

The Jeremy Filsell disc.
Incidentally, the sleeve notes mention that the first recording of the Carillon was Wills himself at Ely in 1976, but give no further details.

Paul

I heard him play it once there following a service - the final hymn was sung to 'Orientis Partibus' complete with vaguely atonal playover.

A

#11 Andy

Andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:17 PM

I have been asked to play the Carillon. How hard is it? I don't want to commit to playing something that is beyond me. It might be rather embarassing.

#12 wolsey

wolsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:10 AM

I have been asked to play the Carillon. How hard is it?

It's not for the faint-hearted, and one or two systems will require patient practice...

#13 Andy

Andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:52 PM

It's not for the faint-hearted, and one or two systems will require patient practice...

Thanks. I've just got it and had a first bash through and a little practice before and after services this morning. I think it's 'do-able'. It's a good piece though, well worth persevering with.

#14 edbowie

edbowie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

Paul Walton

Also the concluding voluntary, played by David Briggs, on PRCD 5022 'Choral Evensong from Hereford Cathedral'. Only £4.99 direct from Priory.

#15 Andy

Andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:24 PM

Also the concluding voluntary, played by David Briggs, on PRCD 5022 'Choral Evensong from Hereford Cathedral'. Only £4.99 direct from Priory.

Thanks. Sounds like a sound investment.

#16 Martin Cooke

Martin Cooke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:16 AM

Thanks
AJJ

I've been reading Arthur Wills' autobiography Full with Wills which is most interesting an enjoyable. Is this piece in a Novello album or published separately? I am sure I have it but can't find it!

#17 AJJ

AJJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:36 AM

I've been reading Arthur Wills' autobiography Full with Wills which is most interesting an enjoyable. Is this piece in a Novello album or published separately? I am sure I have it but can't find it!

Here it is....

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=njbjXhs5ofI

Published possibly as you say by Novello (according to Dr Wills' website) though not sure if still available. Dr Wills once helped me with some music so maybe would do so again. Incidentally, he is 90 on 19th September.

A

#18 DKP

DKP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:58 PM

This piece is in Volume 3 of "The Bristol Collection" edited by Lee Hastings Bristol Jr. and published in the USA by Harold Flammer.  It is a fine piece and most enjoyable to play.

DKP

#19 Martin Cooke

Martin Cooke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:30 PM

This piece is in Volume 3 of "The Bristol Collection" edited by Lee Hastings Bristol Jr. and published in the USA by Harold Flammer.  It is a fine piece and most enjoyable to play.

DKP

Thank you so much DKP - I knew I had it, but to be honest, I had forgotten all about those Bristol Collection volumes, not finding other items all that valuable. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users