136 replies to this topic

#41 Phoneuma

Phoneuma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:52 AM

One of the losses here is yet another of Walker’s  larger ‘elephant tusk’ consoles, they are getting fewer and fewer and that is a shame. Apart from their individual design I’ve  always found them really comfortable and easy to use, an ergonomic triumph. Doncaster was a very fine example, built low-profile and with few pistons compared to modern consoles. That wasn’t a problem as it was so easy to flick registers on and off, almost faster than a piston, once one had worked out the double-touch function. Like the Compton ‘lighthouses’ they represented some real innovation and they looked rather impressive too. 

#42 Contrabombarde

Contrabombarde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:13 PM

If you look at some of Ruffatti’s other instruments ‘of size’ (http://www.ruffatti....stallations.htm), they should give you an idea.

Thanks for the link. They have certainly had their fair share of monsters, several five manuals and a six manual. Though I noticed that in each of their five manual builds, some or indeed many of the stops were still "prepared for" making me wonder what chance these organs ever have of being completely finished? 100 stops in Buckfast sounds a lot, but how long for them all to be installed and working?

As an aside, can anyone tell me if their five manual in San Francisco's Davies Symphony Hall is breaking any records by having TWO 64 foot stops?

#43 Philip J Wells

Philip J Wells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:06 PM

BUCKFAST: Ruffatti; 100 Speaking Stops; Two consoles; Two-year project; Cost: £2.5 million; Non English voicing. 

Oh, will it speak to me in Latin!!!

#44 innate

innate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:13 PM

Neither of the 64' stops at Davies appear to have any pipes so can’t be true stops.

#45 Contrabombarde

Contrabombarde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:20 PM

Neither of the 64' stops at Davies appear to have any pipes so can’t be true stops.

Indeed, though almost no organs with 64 foot stops don't have compound 64s ie harmonic bass, 32 and 21/1/3 quinted. Is Sydney's trombone 64 foot long or half (or less) length? Is the Atlantic City diaphone is 64 foot long?

#46 Colin Pykett

Colin Pykett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:29 AM

Is Sydney's trombone 64 foot long or half (or less) length? Is the Atlantic City diaphone is 64 foot long?

Affirmative to both questions I think, even though the following evidence doesn't quite confirm in so many words whether the resonators themselves are full length, but it implies they are. There's a not-terribly-good picture of a youngish-looking George Thalben-Ball pointing to the tongue of the Sydney reed pipe in Jonathan Rennert's biography of him.  The caption says that the pipe was said to be the largest in the southern hemisphere.  This would not have been so if the stop used half length resonators.  The pneumatic starter motor which gives the tongue an initial shove is clearly visible.

The organ builder Patrick Burns confirmed that the Atlantic City Diaphonic Dulzian is a true 64 foot stop (the resonator at the base is 10 inches square, becoming over 2 feet square at the top.  The vibrating tongue is 31 inches long, 3 inches wide, 7/16th inches thick and weighs 14 pounds.  The pipe is made from 3 inches thick timber).  See his article in The IAO Millennium Book.

(Incidentally, can I ask a question that I've posed for years to lots of people without ever getting an answer - where the heck do you put your music at Atlantic City?  There's some sort of hinged music desk which I've seen let down to a reasonable viewing level, but then it obscures some of the top keyboards).

CEP

"You can never know everything about something. But you can always know something about everything" - Amit Kumar

www.pykett.org.uk

#47 Contrabombarde

Contrabombarde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:52 AM

(Incidentally, can I ask a question that I've posed for years to lots of people without ever getting an answer - where the heck do you put your music at Atlantic City?  There's some sort of hinged music desk which I've seen let down to a reasonable viewing level, but then it obscures some of the top keyboards).

That implies you need music when playing that thing. Generally music is for musical instruments.

(Dives for cover....)

#48 David Drinkell

David Drinkell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:23 PM

The Sydney 64' is certainly full-length, although when Sam Clutton visited it he said that the reed was only vibrating at half-speed (one could see it clearly through the window in the boot) so it was in fact operating as a half-length 128' stop.

I believe the music desk at Atlantic City can be pulled down over the top few manuals if desired.  One can do the same thing on many large instruments (e.g. St. Paul's), but the pictures of both Salzburg and Passau cathedral organs in Sumner show no desk at all.

Opinions on the musicality of the Atlantic City organ have generally been high, at least among those who actually played or heard the beast.  I'm inclined to expect that the result of the ongoing restoration, which should bring the entire instrument into full working-order, will be both musical and impressive.

Another thing for the bucket list  (along with driving a steam locomotive on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway :)).

#49 Barry Oakley

Barry Oakley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:16 PM

Should not the last few posts be under a new topic?

#50 innate

innate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:29 PM

But which, Barry? 64' stops, music desks on 5+manual instruments, the Atlantic City organ, Ruffatti?

#51 sprondel

sprondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:12 AM

ACCH, 64', 5-manuals?
I'd suggest Three organ geeks meet at the watering hole.

:rolleyes:

Best,
Friedrich

#52 innate

innate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:49 AM

:P

#53 Barry Oakley

Barry Oakley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

But which, Barry? 64' stops, music desks on 5+manual instruments, the Atlantic City organ, Ruffatti?

I thought the topic was Buckfast Abbey and not five-manual instruments or Atlantic City organ or 64ft stops.

#54 innate

innate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:47 PM

<bangs head against wall>

#55 Phoneuma

Phoneuma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:55 PM

Now then(!) - in an attempt to steer it back on track here, rather obtusely but at least with the words 'Buckfast' and 'Abbey' in mind, I will now own up to having tried a few sips of the Coatbridge Table Wine (aka' commotion lotion') this very day, nay morning , I stumbled over a half-bottle in my daughter's room (stumbled before I found it since you ask). Amidst the plaintive pleas of 'oh, it's a birthday present' I did manage a crafty swig and I have to say it was quite nice stuff. I kind of felt as though it was pasting me with one hand and then waking me up with the other due to its enormous caffeine content. I would imagine that it is a very lucrative earner - she's gone and hidden it since then. Grrr

#56 Contrabombarde

Contrabombarde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:26 PM

Given Ruffati's track record I wouldn't be surprised if when the specification comes out there will be a 64 foot stop.

At least one.

Come to think of it, provided there's an open 32 flue they could have a resultant 64 foot for the cost of an extra drawstop.

Now, how many manuals did the OP say it was gonig to have? Any more than four and we need to discuss music desks.

Don't you just love the way we meander in and out of topic?

#57 innate

innate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:04 PM

Absolutely, Contrabombarde, and there a distinct possibility that the new Ruffatti console at Buckfast Abbey will be built with a “prepared-for” ethernet connection to Atlantic City.

#58 Paul Morley

Paul Morley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:52 AM

Presumably there are ranks on the latter that can be played in New Jersey and heard in Devon.

#59 David Drinkell

David Drinkell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:10 PM

The resultant 64' at Liverpool is effective, as one might expect in a building of that size.  If memory serves me, I don't think Ruffatti's 6m at Monreale in Sicily has a proper 32' flue, which is surprising although it isn't actually a really huge instrument, the six manuals being more to do with various bits to control rather than a whole lot of registers to share out.

'Tis said that the big Tuba at York can be heard a mile down the street if the west doors are open.  One of my lay-clerks - a Texan and thus enthusiastic about big noises ("I love it when you put the pedal to the metal!") - reported hearing our organ from the harbour, several hundred yards down the hill, one night.  Hope-Jones would have been proud.  He didn't include a diaphone in this instrument but the Canadian government used them for fog-horns, as I am reminded when the one at Fort Amherst goes off during Divine Service.

Pre-Ethernet, but there's a recording of RVW's "Job, a masque for dancing" where the organ was relayed in by Post Office telephone line.

I have no experience of the Buckfast instrument, but by repute it had (like all Downes's designs) a great deal of character that was unique to it.  Maybe it will be a shame that it is replaced by a big American-style job.  There are enough of them around already, fine as some of them may be.

Can one get a doctorate in going off at tangents?  I might put in for one.... 

#60 AJJ

AJJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:21 PM

Has anyone heard or played the new Ruffatti near Dublin yet?

A
"…We can’t criticize the organ for being boring. In such cases it is the organist that is boring. There is no such thing as a boring organ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users