Mander Organ Builders Forum

Worcester Cathedral

Lucasorg

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning all!

I'm just picking up on the suggestion that we plan a Board day-out here at Worcester sometime after Christmas. Looking in the Cathedral Diary, I am going to suggest Saturday 31st January 2009 (......)

Adrian,

Great suggestion: count me in! Would be great to get a closer look at the organ and also to meet some other members of this board.

If anyone from the Bristol / Bath axis would be interested in coming I will probably end up hiring a car for the trip so may consider taking anyone from the Bristol / Bath axis if we can arange a meeting point within Central Bristol as I live in Bristol. I will confirm this idea later once we know definately wether the day is going ahead or not.

Dave

Adrian,

Great suggestion: count me in! Would be great to get a closer look at the organ and also to meet some other members of this board.

If anyone from the Bristol / Bath axis would be interested in coming I will probably end up hiring a car for the trip so may consider taking anyone from the Bristol / Bath axis if we can arange a meeting point within Central Bristol as I live in Bristol. I will confirm this idea later once we know definately wether the day is going ahead or not.

Dave

Not many main line trains stop between Cheltenham and Birmingham New Street. Anyone wishing to travel up by train from Bristol or further south is welcome to PM me if a lift from Cheltenham station to Worcester would be helpful.

Neil

• 4 weeks later...
Good morning all!

I'm just picking up on the suggestion that we plan a Board day-out here at Worcester sometime after Christmas. Looking in the Cathedral Diary, I am going to suggest Saturday 31st January 2009, though if this date causes problems, we may be able to look again.

My initial plan would be as follows:

10.30 am - Coffee

11.00 am - Introduction and Demonstration

12.15 pm - Tours inside the cases

1.15 pm - Lunch break

2.15 pm - Opportunities to play the organ and visit organ/music artefacts in the Cathedral Library

4.30 pm - Possible open choir rehearsal and tea

5.30 pm - Choral Evensong

To facilitate all this, we would charge a nominal fee of £10 which would include coffee and tea (but not lunch) which would be put towards the Music Appeal.

I you are interested, please let me know by replying to this message and we can then see whether the day is a viable proposition.

Many thanks,

Adrian

Grateful if you would add my name to those wishing to attend.

PJW

• 3 weeks later...
Is the day on 31st January definately going ahead? Will need to know ASAP as I will have to book a hire car for the trip up to Worcester so please advise.

Dave

Yes indeed - I make it we may have around 25 juding by the expressions of interest so far. Sadly, we may not be able to do the tour up inside the instrument as the Cathedral has just invested in a whole new scheme of harnesses for work up aloft and noone is allowed up there without the full day's training. However, there will be plenty to see (and hear!) nonetheless.

A

Yes indeed - I make it we may have around 25 juding by the expressions of interest so far. Sadly, we may not be able to do the tour up inside the instrument as the Cathedral has just invested in a whole new scheme of harnesses for work up aloft and noone is allowed up there without the full day's training. However, there will be plenty to see (and hear!) nonetheless.

A

Great. Looking forward to it. A pity about the possible loss of the tour inside the cases but I am quite certain it will be a good day nonetheless. See you there!

Dave

Sadly, we may not be able to do the tour up inside the instrument as the Cathedral has just invested in a whole new scheme of harnesses for work up aloft and noone is allowed up there without the full day's training.

Back in the '80s, Organists' Association visits to Liverpool Cathedral used to include descending to the blowing chamber and ascending into the 2 pipe chambers. I particularly remember that from the area behind the choir console (which used to be filled with pneumatic relays but now is a sort of office) you had to climb a long, quite steep staircase to enter the north pipechamber which contains the swell, choir, positive and a few pedal ranks. Ian Tracey warned us that it was quite 'hairy' coming back down - it was!

I don't suppose Health and Safety would permit such things these days.

Ian was always very generous with his time, and all visitors who wanted to play were allowed to.

Looking forward to meeting people at Worcester in January.

DT

I hope to be there too Adrian - is it pay on the day and is there a decent pub for lunchtime nosh? Seriously thpough, even the chance to have a few minutes at the console will be worth the visit - and I am looking forward to meeting board members and putting faces to names!

Peter

Worcester car parking :angry:

We drove down to the dedication and TT's opening recital.

It took 2 hours from the Northwest, exactly as expected, then nearly another hour stuck in traffic to get into Worcester centre, negotiating the oneway system (which seems to lack any form of helpful signing) and finding a long stay car park (the air inside our car was blue). In otherwords, an absolute nightmare.

There are a number of short stay car parks within the centre which will charge you about £1.00 per hour, we eventually found a long stay car park across the river from the Cathedral at the Cricket Ground, it cost £3.00 all day and was fine. It was only 5 or 6 minutes walk away.

So if you are driving and unfamilar with Worcester, be warned and allow sufficient time!

Christmas greetings and best wishes to all,

David

:)

If travelling to Worcester, I normally drive to Droitwich Spa railway station where there is a large car park costing about £3.00 per day. Trains to Worcester Foregate Street are frequent and cheap (it's only about a 10 minute journey). It is then a walk of about another 10 minutes to the Cathedral.

That's what I shall do next month...

HTH somebody.

P