Mander Organ Builders Forum

If There Was An Organist's Big Brother....

Guest Lee Blick

Guest Lee Blick

A nice small two manual tracker organ would be provided in the main living area. In the garden area, a large three manual Phoenix digital organ. Which organists of note would you put into the house? Would you go in yourself? Musical clergy and famous people who have church music links can be included.

Housemates would be required to partake in short daily worship. House tasks might include voicing organ pipes, composing liturgical music for the services, guessing recordings of organs and getting dunked if failing the task. All the organists to play a piece and be voted on by the public to decide the eviction every Friday. Which pieces would you include in the competition?

Hmmm...

Dame Gillian, Jennifer Bate, our friend Nigel (because improvisation would be one of the tasks), the late JSB, the late OM (we are, after all, talking a fantasy situation here!), Simon Preston, Jo Brand and TT would guarantee an interesting mix. Oh, and we might invite Nigel Ogden for a sing-song or dance in the evenings (accompanied by or with Pimms, of course), along with John Giacci to give his tremendous arrangement of Slaughter on 10th Avenue!

Music:

JSB: Fantasia and Fugue g minor

Messiaen: Messe de la Pentecote

Wammes: Miroir (this could be the sight-reading task)

Alain: Litanies

well, the list could go on.....

Peter

Guest Cynic
Hmmm...

Dame Gillian, Jennifer Bate, our friend Nigel (because improvisation would be one of the tasks), the late JSB, the late OM (we are, after all, talking a fantasy situation here!), Simon Preston, Jo Brand and TT would guarantee an interesting mix. Oh, and we might invite Nigel Ogden for a sing-song or dance in the evenings (accompanied by or with Pimms, of course), along with John Giacci to give his tremendous arrangement of Slaughter on 10th Avenue!

Music:

JSB: Fantasia and Fugue g minor

Messiaen: Messe de la Pentecote

Wammes: Miroir (this could be the sight-reading task)

Alain: Litanies

well, the list could go on.....

Peter

No names no pack drill, but some of your list would put me off entirely.

Actually the whole thought hovers perilously near my idea of Hell.

You only have to add all-electronic organs, plastic keys, high temperatures and no running water.....

Guest Patrick Coleman
More like a lack of an evening mass/evensong to play for and, turning to the television what did we find? -- Ahhhhhhh, Big Brother! :lol::D:)

I knew there was another reason for re-introducing evening services! :D

Guest Lee Blick

FEMALES:

Jo Brand, Gillian Weir, beautiful Jennifer Bate, Miss Denise Hewitt

MALES:

Carlo Curley, Howard Goodall, Arty Nobile, John Scott, Andrew Davies, the 'Naked Organist'

Task One:

To guess the CCCC note of the Pedal Bombarde 32ft of various British Cathedral organs. Failure to guess at least 75% correctly requires the housemates to sit in a padded room listening to a four hour repeat loop of 'Processional by William Mathias' (has got to the most banal work ever written)

Task Two:

To guess a number of pieces on which Arty Nobile has 'interpreted'. Failure to guess 50% correctly requires the housemates to wear eye pieces similar to the ones worn by Malcolm McDowell on A Clockwork Orange to watch Mr Nobile's video on a permanant loop of a graceful imitation of a swan playing the organ.

Task Three:

To learn to play Widor's Toccata backwards naked. Failure to complete this task will require all housemates to be tied to a 16ft Double Open Diapason pipe in the garden and to listen to Miss Denise Hewitt's rendition of Toccata and Fugue in D minor on a Yamaha Clavinova.

Task Four:

To write a liturgical chorus song based on the words: "Jesus loves you, yeh, Jesus wants you, yeh, Jesus needs you, yeh, Jesus is Love, yeh." Failure to complete this task will mean housemates will have to form a 'worship band' and spend the whole day playing songs from 'Sounds of Living Waters' and 'Songs of Fellowship' wearing 70's tie-dye sarongs and flip flops.

The Housemates will be woken up to strains of: 'God is Got Up' by Finzi, 'Fart is the Heaven' by Willliam H Harris, and "Here is the Little Door" by Howells. Failure of housemates to wake up will result in recordings of atonal 'fanfares' played on the West Door Chamades of St. Paul's Cathedral.

Now need to go and take my medication....

Guest Cynic
FEMALES:

Jo Brand, Gillian Weir, beautiful Jennifer Bate, Miss Denise Hewitt

MALES:

Carlo Curley, Howard Goodall, Arty Nobile, John Scott, Andrew Davies, the 'Naked Organist'

Task One:

To guess the CCCC note of the Pedal Bombarde 32ft of various British Cathedral organs. Failure to guess at least 75% correctly requires the housemates to sit in a padded room listening to a four hour repeat loop of 'Processional by William Mathias' (has got to the most banal work ever written)

Task Two:

To guess a number of pieces on which Arty Nobile has 'interpreted'. Failure to guess 50% correctly requires the housemates to wear eye pieces similar to the ones worn by Malcolm McDowell on A Clockwork Orange to watch Mr Nobile's video on a permanant loop of a graceful imitation of a swan playing the organ.

Task Three:

To learn to play Widor's Toccata backwards naked. Failure to complete this task will require all housemates to be tied to a 16ft Double Open Diapason pipe in the garden and to listen to Miss Denise Hewitt's rendition of Toccata and Fugue in D minor on a Yamaha Clavinova.

Task Four:

To write a liturgical chorus song based on the words: "Jesus loves you, yeh, Jesus wants you, yeh, Jesus needs you, yeh, Jesus is Love, yeh." Failure to complete this task will mean housemates will have to form a 'worship band' and spend the whole day playing songs from 'Sounds of Living Waters' and 'Songs of Fellowship' wearing 70's tie-dye sarongs and flip flops.

The Housemates will be woken up to strains of: 'God is Got Up' by Finzi, 'Fart is the Heaven' by Willliam H Harris, and "Here is the Little Door" by Howells. Failure of housemates to wake up will result in recordings of atonal 'fanfares' played on the West Door Chamades of St. Paul's Cathedral.

Now need to go and take my medication....

I stand by my earlier opinion. This is pretty close to my vision of Hell.

Anything reminiscent of Big Brother has to be pretty close to hell. I really cannot understand why anyone would be the slightest bit interested in the programme. <_<

I'll second that.

Yeah, I'm a grumpy old git.

You and me both!

Guest Lee Blick

Oh dear. Boring old organist farts syndrome again. And we wonder why our organist breed are dying out.... <_<

Let's talk about Willis Swell Boxes and 1/4 inch Larigots then....

Oh dear. Boring old organist farts syndrome again. And we wonder why our organist breed are dying out.... <_<

Let's talk about Willis Swell Boxes and 1/4 inch Larigots then....

........I learnt on a Willis infinte speed and gradation Swell and Choir equipped organ. I have to say that like driving a car with the indicators on the 'wrong' side, it was the bane of my examinations. You just never knew exactly how much sound would come out!

.......I thought that a Larigot was usually found at 1-1/3' pitch.......... :P

I think that one of the BB tasks should be play the Willian Passacaglia, note perfect and a fail in the task would result in Jo Brand having to sit on Nigel Ogden's head. THAT should do the organ world a favour!

An amusing idea Lee, especially if some of the fiestier charachters from the organ world were put in there (SP/JPS etc) possibly with former dean and chapters of westminster? Put martin neary in as well and could be riotous!

An amusing idea Lee, especially if some of the fiestier charachters from the organ world were put in there (SP/JPS etc) possibly with former dean and chapters of westminster? Put martin neary in as well and could be riotous!

Add to this Henry Willis IV, Peter Collins, Bruce Buchanan, and perhaps Kenneth Jones. Then some regular contributors to this forum: MM, Cynic, FF from darkest North Hampshire, and, of course, Mr. Blick himself. A practice organ would be needed (perhaps a Lammermuir) but some of the "tasks" would involve revoicing of certain ranks (eg. in the style of Cooper, Gill & Tomkins). I'm certain I would watch.

Add to this Henry Willis IV, Peter Collins, Bruce Buchanan, and perhaps Kenneth Jones. Then some regular contributors to this forum: MM, Cynic, FF from darkest North Hampshire, and, of course, Mr. Blick himself. A practice organ would be needed (perhaps a Lammermuir) but some of the "tasks" would involve revoicing of certain ranks (eg. in the style of Cooper, Gill & Tomkins). I'm certain I would watch.

Thank you for your kind(?) thoughts.

FF from darkest North Hampshire

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the suggestion of playing Widor's toccata, one idea for Big Brova would be playing WT as fast as humanly possible after consuming apprpriate quantities of alcohol. I assume you it can be done, note perfectly, though the cameras on Big Brova might be a hindrance.

Tip: when everyone else is getting merry and you are being offered a double whisky beforehand, surrepticiously swap it for something teetotal that looks similar, apple juice will do. Then stun your friends by playing perfectly when you should be far too drunk to even get onto the bench. I've done it, and sure is an impressive stunt.

Regarding the suggestion of playing Widor's toccata, one idea for Big Brova would be playing WT as fast as humanly possible after consuming apprpriate quantities of alcohol. I assume you it can be done, note perfectly, though the cameras on Big Brova might be a hindrance.

Tip: when everyone else is getting merry and you are being offered a double whisky beforehand, surrepticiously swap it for something teetotal that looks similar, apple juice will do. Then stun your friends by playing perfectly when you should be far too drunk to even get onto the bench. I've done it, and sure is an impressive stunt.

Or a game similar to this? :blink:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ7qK-L4Fx0

Charles

Charles

Streuth! That Widor Youtube just totally cracked me up. I think I just fractured a rib laughing.

I once gave a recital in which the final piece was a duet (William Tell) played with my pageturner to great amusement. I'm planning on a recital in a few week's time - will someone dare me to play the Widor duet with them as an encore???

To hell with the Widor; I'd much rather have the whisky!

Guest Lee Blick

Charles

...meanwhile downstairs in the church porch, Father O'Brien is welcoming his Eminence.

"You really must come inside to hear our new organist. He is such a catch! He is an FRCO, I have you you know...."

________________________________________________________________________________

...or you can imagine the next scene: in halls after drinking too much, the two organist lads fall into each other arms.....

=========================

My first reaction to this was, "No way Jose!"

Then I thought about it a little more, and realised that good reality television is all about conflict, so certain characters spring to mind. Forget Carlo Curley.....he's far too diplomatic and personable. It's people like Jane Goody you need, or people with strong personalities and extreme views.

My list WOULD include Jo Brand, because we would have a riot telling each other jokes.

Then I would have to throw in Robert Hope-Jones, for the extreme views, the scientific bias and the bi-sexual interest.

Henry Willis IV would be invaluable for his show-stopping stories and anecdotes.

We would have to troll the hallowed halls and ecclestistical establishments for an absurdly good-looking organ-scholar, and then let hiom share a room with Mr Jope-Jones, just to see what happens, if anything.

Then there's that very pretty Latvian lady organist.

Someone larger than life would have to be included, and I can think of none better than Virgil Fox.

Istvan Ruppert from Hungary, because he is not only a superb organist, he was also once a professional footballer and a real "lad's lad."

A complete unknown, but a past organist of Cottingham PC in East Yorkshire, who suffered from the organist's equivalent of "Turret's Syndrome," and around whom generations of Hull Uni organ-scholars gathered, just to hear his outbursts of vitriol and four-letter words.

My new ktten "Lewis," who is young, black and cannot be caught.....what a little mega-star he is.

John Snetzler would be useful, if only to comment on the virtuosity of Virgil Fox, "Te tevil, te tevil, he doth run around my keys like one cat."

Enid, a friend of the Halifax crowd, who is funnier than Hylda Baker. "If you want me to pull anything out, I'm very good at it!"

Finally, someone really seriously neurotic, who could probably be almost any other organist I can think of!

MM

Guest Lee Blick
Wouldn't 'Carillon de Westminster' also be a very good piece to play "together" :blink:

I think the late Ted Heath would be a contender ;)