Mander Organ Builders Forum

James Bond Theme Music By Monty Norman

Peter Clark

I hope the forum members don't object to this quirky request but does anybody have a copy of the James Bond theme tune I could borrow? The reason is that (a) my mother in law is a huge Bond fan, she goes to the church where I am organist and thius year her birthday falls on a Sunday.... you can guess the rest.

Also I'm doing a fun evening at the organ with the Brownies (when they will get their music badges) and this is a familiar theme I could play them along with Raider of the Lost Ark, Thunderbirds and the Pink Panther.

Yes, I know.....

Peter

Guest Patrick Coleman
this is a familiar theme I could play them along with Raider of the Lost Ark, Thunderbirds and the Pink Panther.

Peter

Can I come?

I hope the forum members don't object to this quirky request but does anybody have a copy of the James Bond theme tune I could borrow? The reason is that (a) my mother in law is a huge Bond fan, she goes to the church where I am organist and thius year her birthday falls on a Sunday.... you can guess the rest.

Also I'm doing a fun evening at the organ with the Brownies (when they will get their music badges) and this is a familiar theme I could play them along with Raider of the Lost Ark, Thunderbirds and the Pink Panther.

Yes, I know.....

Peter

Peter, Suggest you try contacting Roger Sayer at Rochester Cathedral.

He and his former Organ Scholar have commissioned arrangements - for organ duet! - of several James Bond themes, with which they are now touring the world.

Hope this helps.

Douglas.

Peter, Suggest you try contacting Roger Sayer at Rochester Cathedral.

He and his former Organ Scholar have commissioned arrangements - for organ duet! - of several James Bond themes, with which they are now touring the world.

Hope this helps.

Douglas.

What fun! But do you think your mother-in-law will ever want to speak to you again? Or is that why you're doing this?

When I was a schoolboy, it was the custom to play the school organ whilst the headmaster and other dignitaries paraded into the hall. Once, as a charity prank I persuaded nearly the entire teaching staff to sponsor me to play the Bond theme as he, blissfully unaware of what was about to happen, waltzed into the hall. I made rather a lot of money that day for a good cause :P

Yes, I know.....

Peter

=============================

I may have this. I'll have to check.

I bet Francis Jackson has a copy. After all, he taught the composer, John Barrie, for a while!

You see.....nothing's ever off topic on this board!

:P

MM

I may have this. I'll have to check.

I bet Francis Jackson has a copy. After all, he taught the composer, John Barrie, for a while!

You see.....nothing's ever off topic on this board!

MM

Thanks MM but it was Monty Norman who wrote the tune, John Barry wrote much of the incidental music and songs. Thanks for the other suggestions too. I've found it in a book called The James Bond 007 Collection. By ther way, does anyone remember the John Barry orchestral suite called something like Beyond these Things? I think it had a movement for harmonica!

Peter

I have to confess I've always thought that Francis Jackson would make a good 'Q' in a Bond film.

Imagine the scene in York this September, "Now pay attention, Sharpe! This is no ordinary Tuba Mirabilis. Turn the stop knob like so, and ...:)"

Guest Cynic
I have to confess I've always thought that Francis Jackson would make a good 'Q' in a Bond film.

Imagine the scene in York this September, "Now pay attention, Sharpe! This is no ordinary Tuba Mirabilis. Turn the stop knob like so, and ......."

:)

"....and don't forget, 007, if you leave the swell box closed when you finish playing the entire organ will self-destruct within fifteen seconds, taking you and eveything within a radius of two miles with it."

Peter

===============================

"....and whatever you do 007, don't press the sequencer."

"Why?"

"Do I have to explain everything? The reason is simple. If you press it the wrong order, you get an Octopoddy, followed by the cackling laughter of Dr.Maasai. Before you know it, you'll be knee-deep in African drums and surrounded by half-naked men carrying spears."

:)

MM

I think this kind of thing can be taken further. Star Trek fans only need read this.

Scotty: Captain, the Swell mixtures are overloading!

Captain Kirk: How are the Great diapasons?

Scotty: Stable at the moment, Captain, but they’re looking fragile.

Kirk: Can you re-route the mixtures through the coupler?

Scotty: Aye sir, but we’ll loose the reeds if we do.

Kirk: How long to repair the mixtures?

Scotty: Three hours normally Captain but I think I can do it in two.

Kirk: Get on it Scotty. And give me full power to the Choir Scharf III.

Scotty: It canna be done Captain. The shutters are not holding!

Kirk: Divert all power to the reeds – and Uhura, get me the Incumbent on screen.

Uhura: Opening hailing frequencies, Captain……. On screen

Kirk: Father, we may have to cancel Evensong. We seem to be in shutdown.

Incumbent: Can you marshal the guitars in time?

Kirk: Sorry sir, you’re breaking up. And Scotty, get me those mixtures!

................All together now: "There's Bombardes on the starboard bow, starboard bow, starboard bow; There's Bombardes on the starboard bow, starboard bow, push 'em in, Captain!"

............back to my bunker, sorry! :)

I think this kind of thing can be taken further. Star Trek fans only need read this.

Kirk: Divert all power to the reeds – and Uhura, get me the Incumbent on screen.

Excellent! <_<

===============================

"....and whatever you do 007, don't press the sequencer."

"Why?"

"Do I have to explain everything? The reason is simple. If you press it the wrong order, you get an Octopoddy, followed by the cackling laughter of Dr.Maasai. Before you know it, you'll be knee-deep in African drums and surrounded by half-naked men carrying spears."

<_<

MM

Anyone want to suggest one of our female organists who would make a good Moneypenny?

Anyone want to suggest one of our female organists who would make a good Moneypenny?

Gosh, we're almost spoilt for choice.....or perhaps not! <_<

We could do with a few more female organists on the forum. I wonder how many of our contributors are female. Not many, I guess. Alas!

Gosh, we're almost spoilt for choice.....or perhaps not! <_<

We could do with a few more female organists on the forum. I wonder how many of our contributors are female. Not many, I guess. Alas!

My wife has a theory that explains this:

'Women do not have the anorak gene'.

Her authority on genetics comes from her PhD in parasitology. Her authority on anoraks comes from having a steam locomotive restorer for a father and an organist for a husband.

My wife has a theory that explains this:

'Women do not have the anorak gene'.

Her authority on genetics comes from her PhD in parasitology. Her authority on anoraks comes from having a steam locomotive restorer for a father and an organist for a husband.

I don't buy the whole "Men Are From Mars; Women From Venus" school of gender psychology; imvho we are, generally speaking, much more victims of our environment than our genes. HOWEVER, I agree that there are very few women who are at all interested in pipe organs and how they work, steam engines, timetables, computer programming, transposing orchestral instruments (!), space invaders and cricket. On the other hand, I have encountered a few web forums where women easily equal the men for level of obsession, if not outdo them. Subjects include theatre, religion and, perhaps not surprisingly, motherhood and the raising of children.

... could you work into your script Kirk's immortal command "chamades on stun." ?

I don't buy the whole "Men Are From Mars; Women From Venus" school of gender psychology; imvho we are, generally speaking, much more victims of our environment than our genes.

==========================

Speak for yourself!

That apart, I suspect that "environment psychology" is vastly overplayed by social engineers and social scientists.

This could easily be a new thread, but pray tell me why, in a perfectly condusive environment, there have been very few good or even capable lady composers? (There are a few exceptions as we know, but that's the point; they are exceptions).

On the other hand, some of the very finest musicians and organists (I presume that amounts to the same thing) have been of the fairer sex....Marie Claire-Alain, Jennifer Bate, Madame Durufle, Jane Parker-Smith, Gilian Weir, Marsha Heather Long, Lady Susi Jeans etc etc.

There will always be ladies who buck the genetic trend, such as the lady rally driver Michelle Mouton; easily as fast as any man on the planet, but she was always a real one off.

There are, I'm told, a few ladies who play trombone.

My mother was very skilled in the culinary arts. Built like a prize-winning racing-snake, she could do a mean "egg and spoon" race and really batter the opposition. (Oh God! More terrible puns to follow).

MM

It's going to be the theme from Moonraker on Sunday. My other, better and in this instance at least wiser half has determined the the main James Bond theme tune blasting out after a sung Mass might be a bit too much.

Anyway, I watched Moonraker last night and two things occured to me about the music: (i) one of John Barry's hallmarks seems to be a minor dominant; this is used frequently in his many scores, including Moonraker. (It occurs also in You Only Live Twice, for example.) (ii) the flattened sixth (Moonraker is in B major) - given that Moonraker is set partly in space, this musical device, which is established in the first bar of the theme song, seems to suggest the expanse and darkness of space; I only say this because it is used frequently in scores for the Star Trek TV series and films.

Is this a fair analysis or is my imagination just running wild?

Peter