Mander Organ Builders Forum

Preston - Alleluyas

innate

Is this still in print? My copy of Modern Organ Music (can't remember if it was vol. 1 or 2) went missing years ago and a quick google throws up many recordings but no sheet music. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Is this still in print? My copy of Modern Organ Music (can't remember if it was vol. 1 or 2) went missing years ago and a quick google throws up many recordings but no sheet music. Any suggestions gratefully received.

They don't publish the volumes seperatey now, I have both volumes as one book and its not that many years I bought them. The rest of the volumes aren't up to much, the Leighton stands out some way.

A fine piece. It's in Volume one.

At the risk of being shameless in advertising, its in Roger Moleneuxs' catalogue on page 52!

Many thanks for this suggestion. Duly ordered.

A fine piece. It's in Volume one.

At the risk of being shameless in advertising, its in Roger Moleneuxs' catalogue on page 52!

It is, in my opinion one of the few pieces from that era which has stood the test of time. The Matthais Processional from the same book remains popular, and I quite like the McCabe (? the book isn't to hand at the moment) Nocturne.

Peter

It's quite interesting coming to these books 30/40 years after they were published (after i was given them by someone)

Mathias - playable and useful, and the Preston is a good piece that i really hope gets released as a single copy or in a book that is available. But of the rest? The Leighton is ok, and as Peter said maybe the Nocturne.

But other than that? IMO limited.

Does anyone play any other pieces from these books?

It's quite interesting coming to these books 30/40 years after they were published (after i was given them by someone)

Mathias - playable and useful, and the Preston is a good piece that i really hope gets released as a single copy or in a book that is available. But of the rest? The Leighton is ok, and as Peter said maybe the Nocturne.

A current cathedral organist who came and played for a day of services for me when he was between jobs turned up with no music for the voluntary. I'm usually a bit sceptical about letting other organists loose among my music, but he plumped straight for the said volume and played one of the lesser known fast and loud numbers (can't remember which one and the music isn't here) with no practice/run through or pre-set registrations. It was rather good.

And the Mushel Toccata from book 2?

Peter

Then there's the EASY Modern Organ Music volumes. The Leighton Fanfare from the first book is a very effective piece but, from memory - I haven't got the books here, I don't think many of the other pieces in these volumes have stood the test of time very well either.

Stephen Barber

In the 'Easy Modern Organ Music' books, there is a curious little piece based on Picardy by ?John Jobert? - It's worth a look (just!)

Ah, he of the Passacaglia and Fugue in c minor (Novello Modern Organ Series), a piece I have never got to grips with, neither to play nor to understand what it is all about, an observation which will probably get me shot down in flames. Is it still considered to be in the repotoire? I have never seen it programmed and nor am I aware of any recording of it...

Peter

I wonder, cynically possibly (sorry Paul!), if some of these pieces would have been published had they not been by "known names" in the organ world. Were they anonymously peer reviewed, I wonder?

By the way, has anybody played the Christmas fantasia-type piece by Preston, also publshed by OUP, the full name of which evades me?

Peter

By the way, has anybody played the Christmas fantasia-type piece by Preston, also publshed by OUP, the full name of which evades me?

The piece you may be referring to is Fantasia on the Christmas Light. Vox Dicentis (published by Novello) is based on E W Naylor's anthem of the same name, and therefore appropriate for the season of Advent.

The piece you may be referring to is Fantasia on the Christmas Light. Vox Dicentis (published by Novello) is based on E W Naylor's anthem of the same name, and therefore appropriate for the season of Advent.

The piece I refer to is Fantasia - The Christmas Light (Lux flugebit hodie) based on the introit for the dawn Mass of Christmas and published by OUP. It looks like a piece whose appeal is principally to the player. Clever music.

Peter