Mander Organ Builders Forum

ORDER OF SERVICE FOR THE CORONATION OF KING CHARLES III

The complete Order of Service for the Coronation of King Charles III in Westminster Abbey on Saturday 6th May 2023.

https://www.churchofengland.org/sites/default/files/2023-04/23-24132 Coronation Liturgy.pdf

Updated:

An extended version with ‘Commentary’ and further details of music and musicians included:

https://www.churchofengland.org/sites/default/files/2023-04/23-24132 Coronation Liturgy Commentary.pdf

7 hours ago, Rowland Wateridge said:

The complete Order of Service for the Coronation of King Charles III in Westminster Abbey on Saturday 6th May 2023.

https://www.churchofengland.org/sites/default/files/2023-04/23-24132 Coronation Liturgy.pdf

Thanks for posting that.

Clearly the initial reports of the Coronation service lasting around one hour were inaccurate. I'd imagine the service will be at least two hours, if not longer.

I am also intrigued that the Prime Minister, as a Hindu, is reading a lesson from the Gospel. That must be a first. Clearly his temporal responsibilities transcend his religious beliefs.

11 hours ago, Rowland Wateridge said:

Thank you for that Rowland. Surely that isn't the final copy!

I notice a number of omissions! The composer of the Greek setting of Psalm 71 and the omission of any of the music before the Service - do the King and Queen and the other processions enter in silence?  

Also no acknowledgements of the musicians involved or the full names of the composers and their dates of birth/death etc

The publication all looks a bit 'draft' to me. Compare it with the last State occasion state_funeral_of_her_majesty_queen_elizabeth.pdf (royal.uk)

Just a thought!!!

1 hour ago, S_L said:

Surely that isn't the final copy!

I notice a number of omissions! The composer of the Greek setting of Psalm 71 and the omission of any of the music before the Service - do the King and Queen and the other processions enter in silence?  

Also no acknowledgements of the musicians involved or the full names of the composers and their dates of birth/death etc

The publication all looks a bit 'draft' to me.

Well spotted, S_L!  It is described as The Authorised Coronation Liturgy, i.e, is not a draft, and is probably considered adequate for most people, but for those like us (!) there is a second version The Authorised Coronation Liturgy with Commentary:

https://www.churchofengland.org/sites/default/files/2023-04/23-24132 Coronation Liturgy Commentary.pdf

Some of your questions are answered.  I haven’t had time to check everything.  One change is the inclusion of a sermon by the Archbishop of Canterbury.  To save two further separate replies, the timing has been extended twice and the latest (an estimate, I guess) is two hours.  I also hope that there will be a ‘red button’ or similar facility to dispense with unwanted broadcast commentary.  

2 hours ago, Rowland Wateridge said:

Well spotted, S_L!  It is described as The Authorised Coronation Liturgy, i.e, is not a draft, and is probably considered adequate for most people, but for those like us (!) there is a second version The Authorised Coronation Liturgy with Commentary:

Some of your questions are answered.  I haven’t had time to check everything.  One change is the inclusion of a sermon by the Archbishop of Canterbury.  To save two further separate replies, the timing has been extended twice and the latest (an estimate, I guess) is two hours.  I also hope that there will be a ‘red button’ or similar facility to dispense with unwanted broadcast commentary.  

I was wondering where the Parry had disappeared to!!

To answer the 'no commentary' hopes, as a freeview viewer the best options I can find for me are
1) BBC1 HD with various people chatting about what I am seeing but unable to hear properly
OR
2) BBC iPlayer with no commentary
so I shall record option 1 and watch option 2 on the day

15 hours ago, Rowland Wateridge said:

The commentary version is hugely welcomed but there are still omissions and inconsistencies which surprise me.

William Byrd, Debbie Wiseman, Roxana Panufnik & Tarik O'Regan get their full names but Handel, Weelkes, Walford-Davies Lloyd-Webber, Gibbons, Boyce and Walton are only addressed by surname. The Fanfare is Richard Strauss not one of the Waltz Kings!! (and, it seems to me, a rather strange choice!)

The omissions. Who is playing the organ? Who is directing which choir(s)?  Is an orchestra taking part - which one and who is conducting it. What music, apart from the Parry is being played beforehand? I know the answers to, almost, all of these questions but find it strange that no mention is made on the Order of Service! (see the Order of Service above for the Funeral of the late Queen)

An American was heard to say, with a deep Southern drawl, of an occasion when the Church of England, the State and the Armed Forces got together "Gee, only the British could put on a show like this!!!!" It seems to me that the Order of Service hasn't been carefully enough proofread - or, perhaps, I am just being too fanatical today!!!

On a liturgical point I am pleased to see the Gospel surrounded by Alleluias and not just preceded by them! I remember a visiting Priest, who wasn't an Oxbridge graduate but had acquired the most perfect Oxbridge accent saying to me one morning before our morning High Mass "And I suppose that you are going to precede and follow the Gospel with a multiplicity of Alleluias" We were - and did!!

I'm looking forward to next Saturday and to watching with a certain amount of pride, from afar - because - only the British can put on a show like this!!!!!!

I could be wrong (a not unusual event!), but I think that this has been carefully described as "The Authorised Coronation Liturgy" and is probably not the final Order of Service which usually only comes out a day or so before the relevant service. If it was intend to give people an understanding of the religious meaning and symbolism of the event and that this is the primary meaning behind it all (rather than just a glittery state occasion), I think that it has been done well - and the Commentary adds to this. I found it very interesting - particularly as I'm not an Anglican!

On 30/04/2023 at 12:41, handsoff said:

I do hope that the BBC will offer a Red Button facility to avoid any commentary or that another broadcaster will do something similar. Pretty decent set of music...

...............just wish there was a " General Cancellation/ Red Button " to eradicate the whole ghastly affair.

On 30/04/2023 at 12:41, handsoff said:

I do hope that the BBC will offer a Red Button facility to avoid any commentary or that another broadcaster will do something similar. Pretty decent set of music...

I realise that this question has been asked more than once, but can any of our technically-skilled members say whether one can programme Sky in advance to record on BBC red button and, more to the point, that this will not include commentary (a formidable panel of ‘experts’ has been lined up by the BBC)?  It was possible for the late Queen’s funeral.  I’m afraid I can’t seem to penetrate anything on the BBC website dealing with this: I hope it doesn’t mean that there is an automatic assumption that we need a continuous commentary.  

The BBC's own page says that the Red Button is providing a described version, described as "accessible coverage for people who are blind or partially sighted on Red Button, hosted by Petroc Trelawny".  But actually it seems that the Red Button leads to a choice of possibilities (see quote below), presumably by switching you to iPlayer.

BBC2 will have signed commentary for the deaf (alongside the spoken, presumably).

"Royal Life Magazine" says that there will be an option on iPlayer to watch live without commentary - it's odd that the BBC haven't mentioned that, though.

"Broadband TV News has the following slightly more detailed note:

The iPlayer will also carry versions with subtitles, sign language, and an alternative commentary version for people with sight loss. The alternative commentary version will also be available on red button on broadcast channels, and the subtitled, alternative commentary, and signed versions will be available to viewers by pressing red while watching a BBC channel on an internet-connected TV.

Viewers will also have the option to watch live without BBC commentary.

ITV and Sky will broadcast the proceedings without any commercial breaks.  Their commentary is often more restrained than the BBC's.

Paul

I'm not sure what you mean by "with the music" Paul - the full booklet that I referred to earlier gives full details of all the music and the composers and performers plus the occasional melody line.

46 minutes ago, Keitha said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "with the music" Paul - the full booklet that I referred to earlier gives full details of all the music and the composers and performers plus the occasional melody line.

The last four coronations had an order of service with the music of the anthems etc printed in it.  A facsimile of that for Elizabeth's is still in print:

https://www.rscmshop.com/books/B0333/coronation-of-her-majesty-queen-elizabeth-ii-facsimile-edition

Original copies turn up on eBay regularly.

Paul

Doubtless today’s order of service will also turn up on eBay in due course.

Away from home, I watched the BBC television broadcast, and contrary to my earlier misgivings I have to say that the commentary for the Coronation Service by Huw Edwards and others was exemplary as, of course, were the music and ceremony.

Watched the service without commentary. How refreshing! A veritable musical feast, though ALW's contribution was lacking a certain something (such as anything melodically memorable), not helped by a rather crass attempt at a modulation. The Abbey organ sounded magnificent, ditto the playing.