Mander Organ Builders Forum

Things That Really Annoy You

Davidb

I've always taken 'something wiht a bit of go' to mean something that has a bit of fight to it - George Duffields Stand up Stand up for Jesus to Morning Light for example. It has considerably mroe life than, say , forty days and forty dreary nights

I think that rather depends how you do it. 40 days is actually one of my favourites - for example.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest delvin146
I think that rather depends how you do it. 40 days is actually one of my favourites - for example.

Personally, I would have put in a little more animation on the "prowling beasts" and would have left the tierce de picardy until the final verse.

Personally, I would have put in a little more animation on the "prowling beasts" and would have left the tierce de picardy until the final verse.

But I trust you avoid it in Veni Veni Emmanuel?!

I wonder if anyone's ever been tempted to do a "reverse tierce" ie end a major key hymn with a minor chord - could cause quite a stir! :rolleyes:

Peter

Guest Psalm 78 v.67
Tierces de Picardy are so over-used that they must surely have become the cheesiest cliché ever. Generally I avoid them like the plague.

Phew! So added 7th's are ok then! ;)

I occassionally leave the third out of the final chord altogether (almost always in conjucntion with a tune in a minor key) to leave a certain abiguity...

===============================

How very Ebenesque.

MM

• 4 months later...
There is this awful child, who sits near the organ console, and his name is 'Bwyan' because he recently lost a tooth playing football.

"Bwyan" sits between his mother and his grandmother, who are so wrapped up in their own devotions, they are unaware of the fact that they are in the company a devil-child.

"Bwyan" is a devil-child because he is so alert, and so capable of sinister, silent communication.

A single bum note, and there is "Bwyan".....mouth agape and shaking his head from side to side.

The priest chooses the same hymn two weeks in a row, and "Bwayn" rolls his eyes and then yawns when I play it over.

I make a mess of the timing of the mass, and there is a slight delay at the "Great Amen".....there is "Bwyan," slapping his own wrist.

We have a "pop" hymn, and not only do I get into "theatre groove," but our "Bwayn" is swinging his hips, holding an imaginery microphone and playing to the gallery we do not have.

We have the "Peace" and everyone politely shakes hands and mutters with dubious sincerity, "Peace be with you".....not our "Bwayn", who leaps out of the pew, runs to the organ-console, gives me a gap-toothed grin, winks, offers me a clenched fist and says, "All right mate?"

There are moments when I dare not look in "Bwayn's" direction, such as when the priest stumbled and couldn't get back up, or the time when the collection was hurled among the poor and needy of the parish by mistake.....it was bad enough just listening to his stifled sobs of laughter.

I play some spectacular voluntary or other, and feel very proud of the end result, only to turn sideways and find "Bwayn" sitting alone, cross-legged on a pew, wearing an impish grin with his fingers stuck in his ears!

He is my worst nightmare and my best critic and I hate him for it.

When I leave, I now make a point of saying, "Bye bye Bwayn," at which point, he gives me a sad look and points a finger at the gap in his teeth.....then sticks his tongue out and waves me off.

He annoys and torments me constantly, but Mass would be much, much poorer without him.

:mellow:

MM

==========================

Just to remind you all, I quote my little story of Bwyan; the boy at church with the missing tooth.

"Bwyan" is now once more "Brian" since having a temporary new tooth clipped into his jaw, but he doesn't get any better, and remains my sternest critic.

I had to laugh this morning at church, because fresh from his summer-hoilidays and absolutely full-of-mischief, he bounded up to me, plonked himself on the organ-bench before mass and said, "So what yer playin' after then?"

I thought for a moment, and replied, "I'll play you something loud and French."

This seemed to please him no end, and off he trotted to join his increasingly despairing family.

So after mass, I struck up with the Boellmann Toccata, which loses a little bit of something when performed on a baroque organ, but at least we have a pedal reed!

Nearing the end of the piece, and glancing around to see if the former "Bwyan" had stuck with it, I almost fell off the console laughing.

Brian had stuck his pullover up his T-shirt, closed one eye, dropped his false tooth over his bottom-lip, proceeded to limp around like the "Hunchback of Notre Dame," and swing his arms around like a monkey. (I guess he'd seen the old Charles Loughton version in B & W).

Our Brian is nothing if not amusing.

:o

MM

What really grinds my gears is when I practise a hymn up for Sunday, and I think its all perfect but then it all goes wrong on the day.

But thats probably because I'm still learning. Another thing is one organ I play, the console is in a pit with music shelves at the side, but then little kids come along and start pushing books off the top. Gets quite annoying when they fall on the pedals!

Josh

Guest Psalm 78 v.67

I have a choir member who has a fetish for switching things off after a service, including - only once! - the main switch to the organ; just as I reached the last page of the Franck A minor Chorale. (At risk of being slated - or, worse, Blicked :mellow: - surely one of the most thrilling endings ever achieved by simple means....... ?)

Guest Patrick Coleman
What really grinds my gears is when I practise a hymn up for Sunday, and I think its all perfect but then it all goes wrong on the day.

But thats probably because I'm still learning. Another thing is one organ I play, the console is in a pit with music shelves at the side, but then little kids come along and start pushing books off the top. Gets quite annoying when they fall on the pedals!

Josh

Thank God you practise hymns properly - one thing that really annoys me is organists who are accomplished enough to think they can get away without practising hymns, and then make a hash of them.

How about a future Archbishop of Canterbury? :lol:

FF

=====================

I think that few people could ever live up to the wit of Lord Runcie when he was Archbishop of Canterbury. He had a razor-sharp wit, and my favourite moment was the time Dr Paisley protested loudly when Lord Runcie met with Pope John Paul II.

"I want to harv wards with the Archbishop!" Paisley bellowed; pointing his finger heavenwards.

Lord Runcie, when told about this, simply replied, "I would be delighted to talk to Mr (sic) Paisley at anytime. All he has to do is to walk across the water to Canterbury."

:P

MM

Guest Lee Blick
have a choir member who has a fetish for switching things off after a service, including - only once! - the main switch to the organ; just as I reached the last page of the Franck A minor Chorale

Few things annoyed me more as an organist than people turning the lights out before the voluntary has ended. I consider that a height of rudeness and would express that so. :lol:

Few things annoyed me more as an organist than people turning the lights out before the voluntary has ended. I consider that a height of rudeness and would express that so. :blink:

Needlessly interrupted voluntaries:

How about choir members who start talking during the voluntary?

Or clergy who suddenly realise they have forgotten an "important" announcement and shout "stop for just a minute Peter!" over the PA system while they remind people that Thursday's bingo has been cancelled?

Ot future brides and brides mothers who gawp and then try to talk to you during a quiet passage?

Or, once, a nun who tried to start a conversation....

Yes, it's all happened to me!

Peter

I have a choir member who has a fetish for switching things off after a service, including - only once! - the main switch to the organ; just as I reached the last page of the Franck A minor Chorale. (At risk of being slated - or, worse, Blicked :lol: - surely one of the most thrilling endings ever achieved by simple means....... ?)

This has happened to me on countless occasions as parishioners switch off the power after the service. Last time this happened I was playing the Purcell Trumpet Tune, and I got to the end of the air, changed the stops and then... nothing!!! :blink:

But we've now decided that the organ is going to be put on a separate switch to the mains power.

JA

Needlessly interrupted voluntaries:

How about choir members who start talking during the voluntary?

Or clergy who suddenly realise they have forgotten an "important" announcement and shout "stop for just a minute Peter!" over the PA system while they remind people that Thursday's bingo has been cancelled?

Ot future brides and brides mothers who gawp and then try to talk to you during a quiet passage?

Or, once, a nun who tried to start a conversation....

Yes, it's all happened to me!

Peter

I've been pressganged into buying tickets for the Vicar's Cheese and Wine party by some old codger (not the vicar!) whilst I was playing the communion hymn! His sales pitch started with "are you busy?"!

I've been pressganged into buying tickets for the Vicar's Cheese and Wine party by some old codger (not the vicar!) whilst I was playing the communion hymn! His sales pitch started with "are you busy?"!

That reminds me of a time, before my present appointtment and in a place far away, when the choir was singing an offertory motet with me playing, and someone coming up to the choir gallery with the collection plate which he tried to pass round the singers! I had not seen him before and I don't recall seeing him again....

Peter