4 replies to this topic

#1 Martin Cooke

Martin Cooke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:20 AM

In announcing this summer's recital series at the Minster, Robert Sharpe has said that the organ is to be rebuilt. Do we know who will undertake the work (PPO?) and if there are to be any tonal changes?

#2 Colin Harvey

Colin Harvey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:48 AM

York Minster organ has been in the care of Harrison & Harrison for several years now.

I understand the Minster are awaiting all the necessary permissions to be in place before they make an announcement, hopefully later this year. A lot of work and careful thought has gone into the best course of action for the organ; as many people will be aware there are many strands and considerations for this organ; musical, historical and how the instrument works in the building. There have been a number of experiments on the organ recently, mainly around returning the pressures back to their 1930s levels, which is likely to be the musical and artistic inspiration for any future work. Those of us who can recall the organ (or have recordings of the organ) from before the 1960s Walker work (including Francis Jackson's early recordings) will understand the desirability of this.

#3 John Robinson

John Robinson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Location:I am a missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:28 PM

And yet the changes under the supervision of Francis Jackson have been claimed to make the organ 'more musical'.

I suppose, though, that tastes change over time!

I do look forward to hearing more about these proposed changes.

#4 Peter Allison

Peter Allison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:38 AM

I know this is slightly off topic, but it is to do with York Minster.

I went to James Lancelot's recital there, last night (sat), and it was fantastic. He got sounds out of that organ, as if he was DOM there. Apparently, he only came down twice during the week to practice. It was note perfect throughout, and a very rare,standing ovation at the end, was very fitting . His appreciative smile brought a ray of light into that space, so much so, it brought a lump to a few peoples throats. Perfection.....

#5 Barry Oakley

Barry Oakley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:22 AM

York Minster organ has been in the care of Harrison & Harrison for several years now.

I understand the Minster are awaiting all the necessary permissions to be in place before they make an announcement, hopefully later this year. A lot of work and careful thought has gone into the best course of action for the organ; as many people will be aware there are many strands and considerations for this organ; musical, historical and how the instrument works in the building. There have been a number of experiments on the organ recently, mainly around returning the pressures back to their 1930s levels, which is likely to be the musical and artistic inspiration for any future work. Those of us who can recall the organ (or have recordings of the organ) from before the 1960s Walker work (including Francis Jackson's early recordings) will understand the desirability of this.

That's the second large job I know of in the diocese that PPO have lost. I always considered Walker's rebuild sounded excellent and I am sure H&H will do likewise. It will be interesting to learn of any revisions to the specification.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users