Mander Organs

In announcing this summer's recital series at the Minster, Robert Sharpe has said that the organ is to be rebuilt. Do we know who will undertake the work (PPO?) and if there are to be any tonal changes?

York Minster organ has been in the care of Harrison & Harrison for several years now.

I understand the Minster are awaiting all the necessary permissions to be in place before they make an announcement, hopefully later this year. A lot of work and careful thought has gone into the best course of action for the organ; as many people will be aware there are many strands and considerations for this organ; musical, historical and how the instrument works in the building. There have been a number of experiments on the organ recently, mainly around returning the pressures back to their 1930s levels, which is likely to be the musical and artistic inspiration for any future work. Those of us who can recall the organ (or have recordings of the organ) from before the 1960s Walker work (including Francis Jackson's early recordings) will understand the desirability of this.

And yet the changes under the supervision of Francis Jackson have been claimed to make the organ 'more musical'.

I suppose, though, that tastes change over time!

I do look forward to hearing more about these proposed changes.

I know this is slightly off topic, but it is to do with York Minster.

I went to James Lancelot's recital there, last night (sat), and it was fantastic. He got sounds out of that organ, as if he was DOM there. Apparently, he only came down twice during the week to practice. It was note perfect throughout, and a very rare,standing ovation at the end, was very fitting . His appreciative smile brought a ray of light into that space, so much so, it brought a lump to a few peoples throats. Perfection.....

York Minster organ has been in the care of Harrison & Harrison for several years now.

I understand the Minster are awaiting all the necessary permissions to be in place before they make an announcement, hopefully later this year. A lot of work and careful thought has gone into the best course of action for the organ; as many people will be aware there are many strands and considerations for this organ; musical, historical and how the instrument works in the building. There have been a number of experiments on the organ recently, mainly around returning the pressures back to their 1930s levels, which is likely to be the musical and artistic inspiration for any future work. Those of us who can recall the organ (or have recordings of the organ) from before the 1960s Walker work (including Francis Jackson's early recordings) will understand the desirability of this.

That's the second large job I know of in the diocese that PPO have lost. I always considered Walker's rebuild sounded excellent and I am sure H&H will do likewise. It will be interesting to learn of any revisions to the specification.

I can well imagine that there will be a variety of opinions about a possible return to the levels of decibels in former days! There seems to be so much history to this greatly admired instrument set in a building that (?) Dallam described as being "greedy for sound"

I really hope that the consultants and chapter will have given proper consideration as to whether a dynamic/proper long term solution addressing the need for adequate and generous support for congregational singing, after the manner of more than a few Cathedrals in the UK and  places abroad, might not involve siting of a larger or smaller division elsewhere in the building (...in other places deemed a success.. eg St Paul's, Liverpool, Cologne, ..  bearing in mind that previous small scale experiments with pipework in the nave at York have also shown that this would be effective. Though the previous Nave organ was not the prettiest its voicing remains quite remarkable as can be heard at St Thomas, Radcliffe nr Manchester

I'm sorry to hear about PPO losing contracts. Their extensive restoration at Selby amongst other work seems rightly to have merited high praise. 

All good wishes

I remember a few years ago, when talking to Robert Sharpe, that I had a good friend, who had quite a few private recordings of the Minster organ , from the 50's and early 60's. He asked if he could hear them, maybe this was a precursor to any alterations, then again, probably not