Mander Organ Builders Forum

Post Carol Service Music

AJJ

Suggestions please - something different to play on this after the lessons and carols on Christmas Eve - flat out with the box open it has a distinct sniff of the 'gallic rustic' about it - last year I gave them some Dandrieu etc.

Manual

Open Diapason 8 unenclosed

Dulciana 8 TC

Viol di Gamba 8 TC

Clarabella 8 TC

Stopt Diapason Bass 8

Principal 4

Flute 4 TC

Fifteenth 2

Hautboy 8 TC

Pedal

Bourdon 16 (non standard & short compass)

Manaual to Pedal Coupler

Thanks in anticipation!

AJJ

Suggestions please - something different to play on this after the lessons and carols on Christmas Eve - flat out with the box open it has a distinct sniff of the 'gallic rustic' about it - last year I gave them some Dandrieu etc.

Manual

Dulciana 8 TC

Viol di Gamba 8 TC

Clarabella 8 TC

Stopt Diapason Bass 8

Principal 4

Flute 4 TC

Fifteenth 2

Hautboy 8 TC

Pedal

Manaual to Pedal Coupler

Thanks in anticipation!

AJJ

Well if it was I was me playing it , I find the most useful piece to used is the Bach Fugue on the Magnificat which suits the short compass range u have on the pedal board a very useful piece. Or what about a jolly piece called introduction & Fugue by Nares for hands only. Theres load of pieces if u apply yourself. U need to think about the date and period of the Organ so clearly English early organ music is going to work best but of course that isn't sacrosanct ! Hope this helps.

I know you did French last year, but Nicolas Lebegue's Noëls are all good fun and either Puer nobius nascitur or A la venue de Noël would make a decent sortie (albeit not as flashy as Dandrieu).

If you want something more solid, Jósef Surzýnski's Preludes op. 12 contain a few pieces on Polish Christmas carols, one or two of which might be long enough. Not very exciting pieces, but they do the job and would work on a small organ.

If you want copies of either, send me an email. Be prepared for big files though.

Manual

Dulciana 8 TC

Viol di Gamba 8 TC

Clarabella 8 TC

Stopt Diapason Bass 8

Principal 4

Flute 4 TC

Fifteenth 2

Hautboy 8 TC

Pedal

Manaual to Pedal Coupler

Thanks in anticipation!

AJJ

Would one of the Balbastre Noels be different enough?

• 2 weeks later...

On a simialar vein, I've been asked to do a short solo in a local carol service. Having played the Fantasia on In dulci Iubilo and Wachet auf the last two years, I was thinking of Franck's Grand Choeur in C, as the 'dumpy dumpy dum, dumpy dumpy dum' bit is alledgedly an old French Noel. The organ I'm using has quite brash reeds, in particular the Gt trumpet thunders in the bass, but is curiously mild in the treble, and sounds like a painfully loud clarinet. Would any of you be prepared to listen to the piece as a solo? Its a bit sparsely written as I believe it was a harmonium piece originally.

How about some Buxtehude this year before it's too late. I just used the P&F in D major (arpeggio opening - not too difficult)! at our school service. I see that David Briggs has been commissioned to write this year's final voluntary for Christmas Eve at King's - its based on In dulci.

Martin

Thanks for these - I've finally decided on French Noels before, some Baroque with the resident trumpet player followed by a seasonal improvisation or a new piece (if I finish it in time) to clear the church!

AJJ

How about some Buxtehude this year before it's too late. I just used the P&F in D major (arpeggio opening - not too difficult)! at our school service. I see that David Briggs has been commissioned to write this year's final voluntary for Christmas Eve at King's - its based on In dulci.

Martin

Aha that'd be the one St Pauls are advertising at the end of the Xmas Day Evensong - Briggs that is. Any info on where/when it might be available for us lesser mortals?

According to his website he has his own publishing company now.

It's slightly out of date though - there are works promised for the mid part of 2007 that have not yet been published, such as the T&F on i vow to thee my country, that sounds very interesting.

A nice modern in dulci jubilo would be nice though. I equally enjoyed last years Kings commision of 'in the bleak mid winter.' Is this to become a regular thing i wonder?

• 2 weeks later...
According to his website he has his own publishing company now.

It's slightly out of date though - there are works promised for the mid part of 2007 that have not yet been published, such as the T&F on i vow to thee my country, that sounds very interesting.

A nice modern in dulci jubilo would be nice though. I equally enjoyed last years Kings commision of 'in the bleak mid winter.' Is this to become a regular thing i wonder?

http://www.david-briggs.org.uk/compinfo.php?sel=70

The above link should (if I've got the technology right) take you to the page on DB's site about In Dulci.

The Fugue-Toccata on 'I vow to Thee' has been around a while - I played it in a recital in August 2005. It's a transcription from a recording (also available) of the final movement of an improvised Symphony on themes from The Planets which DB improvised at the inaugural concert on at Gloucester following the rebuild.

It's not all that difficult, but very effective.

P

Guest Barry Williams

Thiman's Postlude on 'Adeste Fidelis' was greatly appreciated yesterday. It is very simple to play and though slightly contrived, seems always to be well received in the pews.

Barry Williams

Paul, do you know where i can obtain these? I'd be very interested in this, being a big fan of 'the planets.'

I had mine from Allegro Music (www.allegro.co.uk) but I think David sells scores directly through his own publishing company/website Chestnut Music rather than Allegro these days.

However, they still have some of his music there, or at least they did last time I was there in the summer. If you don't get any luck with that send David an email directly (from his website) and I'm sure he'll sort you out.

The Double CD of the Opening concert, with the original impro on was a limited edition I think, but again he may have one knocking around that he'd be happy to sell...

Cheers, P

I see that David Briggs has been commissioned to write this year's final voluntary for Christmas Eve at King's - its based on In dulci.

Martin

I missed this on Christmas Day and the BBC replay on line was not including it - how was it?

AJJ

I missed this on Christmas Day and the BBC replay on line was not including it - how was it?

AJJ

Both organ voluntaries are always included in the repeat KC service broadcast on Radio3 on Christmas Day.

Track down Afternoon on 3 and advance 2hrs 30mins to hear the closing bars of Bach and the complete Briggs Sortie. A refreshing change from the usual bill of fare.

A

Both organ voluntaries are always included in the repeat KC service broadcast on Radio3 on Christmas Day.

Track down Afternoon on 3 and advance 2hrs 30mins to hear the closing bars of Bach and the complete Briggs Sortie. A refreshing change from the usual bill of fare.

A

'Tried this but I only managed to find the Christmas Eve Radio 4 broadcast (albeit on the Radio 3 page) where the announcer chips in over the first bars - then the whole thing ends!

AJJ

'Tried this but I only managed to find the Christmas Eve Radio 4 broadcast (albeit on the Radio 3 page) where the announcer chips in over the first bars - then the whole thing ends!

AJJ

Many thanks Alistair McEwan, it took a few wrong turns, but I've found it and I am listening to it now - very Cochereau! :(

Alastair J - this may work, it's just copied straight out of the address line in the other window where it's playing right now... B)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.s.../afternoon3_tue

Cheers, P.

Many thanks Alistair McEwan, it took a few wrong turns, but I've found it and I am listening to it now - very Cochereau! :(

Alastair J - this may work, it's just copied straight out of the address line in the other window where it's playing right now... B)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.s.../afternoon3_tue

Cheers, P.

'Got it - thanks both!

AJJ

as it is avalible online, would it be illegal for me to post an MP3 of the briggs?

I know David Briggs a little and I'm fairly sure that I could accurately guess his opinion to be

'let as many people hear it as want to.'

i.e. go ahead, I'm 100% sure he wouldn't sue. He's a nice as well as highly-gifted guy.