Mander Organ Builders Forum

King's Carols

Vox Humana

Nice to see the organ scholar(s) featured so prominently in the TV programme. There were definitely more console shots than usual this year.

I thought the accompaniments were good this year too, both on the radio and on TV.

I agree entirely.

I only wish I had somebody to push thumb pistons for me, and to save me all that effort! <_<

Yes, I enjoyed the service very much - Rutter's Dormi Jesu is a favourite and I was very taken with SC's new arrangement of Past Three o'clock. I am sure that we all appreciated the new harmonisation of the final verse of O Come, all ye faithful. I also fopund myserlf reaching for my lap-top to find out all about Mack Wilberg who did that splendid arrangement of the Ding dong! The organ arrangement of the piano duet was a bit of a swine though - playing Gloria with the feet whilst all that right hand stuff was going on. I certainly wouldn't want to do that on telly!

Happy Christmas!

Martin

I meant also to say how excellent the service was last night from Worcester. The choirs were really superb - The Rogers sounded good too. The BBC let them down, sadly - horrible wobble in the sound every 10 seconds at times.

Martin.

I managed to catch the end of this - by which time the audio problems had evidently been sorted - and I must say how thoroughly I enjoyed it.

I meant also to say how excellent the service was last night from Worcester. The choirs were really superb - The Rogers sounded good too. The BBC let them down, sadly - horrible wobble in the sound every 10 seconds at times.

Martin.

Glad someone else had this problem, I thought it was just me. The BBC could have put one of its 'I'm sorry there's a problem with the sound' notes on screen, would have saved me fiddling with wires rather than enjoying the service. And rather surprisingly, the Rogers did sound quite good. I wonder if that old Bradford is still kicking about there. Both the cathedral choir and the chamber choir were on good form. Sadly, not the girls choir, which was a pity. I missed the credits at the end, who were the little Baroque group? Anyone spot how many little boys couldn't stiffle/hide the yawns.

Def not a repeat from prev years. One or two robed members who were not there last year. Bishop of Dudley was good, we used to enjoy him when we lived more local.

Glad someone else had this problem, I thought it was just me. The BBC could have put one of its 'I'm sorry there's a problem with the sound' notes on screen, would have saved me fiddling with wires rather than enjoying the service. And rather surprisingly, the Rogers did sound quite good. I wonder if that old Bradford is still kicking about there. Both the cathedral choir and the chamber choir were on good form. Sadly, not the girls choir, which was a pity. I missed the credits at the end, who were the little Baroque group? Anyone spot how many little boys couldn't stiffle/hide the yawns.

Def not a repeat from prev years. One or two robed members who were not there last year. Bishop of Dudley was good, we used to enjoy him when we lived more local.

The Baroque group was the Cheltenham-based Corelli Orchestra.

A

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have an opinion on the Briggs 'Sortie' that concluded the Kings service?

It would have been nice to hear it! :) It wasn't included in the Christmas Eve broadcast, I missed the R3 repeat and it was omitted from the 'listen again' recording. I should have gone to Bristol Cathedral - it went down well there I understand.

It would have been nice to hear it! :) It wasn't included in the Christmas Eve broadcast, I missed the R3 repeat and it was omitted from the 'listen again' recording. I should have gone to Bristol Cathedral - it went down well there I understand.

I hope DB includes it in his Westminster Abbey recital on 5 Aug. I also look forward to the disc that will accompany the April issue of BBC Music Mag. Vierne 3, Widor 5 and Impros.

As for the Sortie I imagine that it will be a piece that M Cocherau would have been proud off !!

As for the Sortie I imagine that it will be a piece that M Cocherau would have been proud off !!

Hmmm, If you mean that it's a 'Cochereau style' thing, I doubt it, bearing in mind what PC said about his (PC's) improvisations...