Mander Organ Builders Forum

Electronic Organs

andyorgan

Go to:

http://classicalorgansltd.co.uk/

I had the Ahlborn single manual H6 before I bought my Wyvern but it only had a synth key action so I have no idea what the big boys are like. But remember, most likely the keyboards will be made by Fatar (http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_8L.htm) as they seem to be used by most digital organ makers.

Cheers, Oliver.

One often sees references to Ahlborn-Galanti in the States.

I *think* I'm right in saying (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) that Ahlborn and Ahlborn-Galanti are not the same firm.

Yes it is the same firm, I have come across a 2 manual in a Catholic Church in Handsworth and a 1 manual in a church in West Bromwich, both were satisfactory and the keytouch seemed fine, but arent they all. Neither left any lasting memories of wanting to go back and play them.

I would be inclined to see if Makin, Wyvern or another British digital builder have an instrument suitable before you look at the Albhorn route. I did an opening recital on one (3 manual) about 5 years ago, and I can only say that it was (in my humble opinion) not very good. The keyboards were the cheapest, nastiest items I have ever come across.

The later Ahlborn-Galanti models, which are made for the American market but available in the UK, are of a much higher standard than previous models.

I use an AG2100 for home practice and find it very acceptable.

Still prefer pipes, but there you are!

The later Ahlborn-Galanti models, which are made for the American market but available in the UK, are of a much higher standard than previous models.

I use an AG2100 for home practice and find it very acceptable.

Still prefer pipes, but there you are!

But having looked at the spec. - do you find that you really need all that this instrument offers? From a totally personal POV if I had one I would spend more time tinkering with the huge choice of 'alternatives' (what actually is a Rhodes Piano or a Flauto Cavo?) and do no practice at all. I have had a Wyvern Sonata fpr two years now and despite tempations I only bought something that would do what a pipe organ could do. Apart from the rather useless 'Auto Bass' and some quite handy parameter changing controls it can not change into Notre Dame de Paris, a typical Silbermann or even the Blackpool Tower Ballroom. Consequently (most of) my time on it is spent (mostly) on the music - just a thought!

AJJ

But having looked at the spec. - do you find that you really need all that this instrument offers? From a totally personal POV if I had one I would spend more time tinkering with the huge choice of 'alternatives' (what actually is a Rhodes Piano or a Flauto Cavo?) and do no practice at all. I have had a Wyvern Sonata fpr two years now and despite tempations I only bought something that would do what a pipe organ could do. Apart from the rather useless 'Auto Bass' and some quite handy parameter changing controls it can not change into Notre Dame de Paris, a typical Silbermann or even the Blackpool Tower Ballroom. Consequently (most of) my time on it is spent (mostly) on the music - just a thought!

AJJ

No, I have no use for "Auto Bass" either nor for some of the more unusual voices, although the Flauto Cavo is a rather nice Italian stopped flute. However, with most modern digital instruments there are many facilities which you might not choose to use. With the AG2100 the options are all "hidden" down menus and can be selected or not. Once I had tinkered around with them I simply selected the voices I wanted to use to suit my playing, but could make a fresh selection if desired. Before purchasing I looked at different instruments and found that for what I could afford, the quality of finish and more importantly, the sound, of many were lacking. It is sad that there are now no true British manufacturers in this price bracket, only purveyors of re-badged Dutch and Italian models adapted to meet our tastes, and the cost of a UK custom built takes one into the realms of a small pipe instrument. I know which I would choose!