Mander Organs
Vox Humana

Buckfast Abbey

"wasteful, badly thought-out and, in places, gimmicky" was how the new organ at Buckfast, on paper anyway, was described earlier - and not by me, I hesitate to add!

I presume that you wouldn't agree AJJ!

I look forward to hearing it one day and I shall make an effort the next time I am in the UK to visit Buckfast. I look forward to hearing other's opinions too once they have had a chance to hear it 'in the flesh'!!!

Just spotted myself and wife! Interestingly, she (a musician herself who has had to put up with organs and organists for many years) usually takes no prisoners so to speak where organs recitals are concerned but was mightily impressed at this event. Not only did the player come  in for great praise but so did the instrument. Whatever we anoracks think, the instrument seems to have impressed at least one muscal member of the public.

A

First YouTube video featuring the new organ (I think). Worth skipping through to the last 5 minutes if you don't want to sit through the whole mass, although you would miss some nice singing if you did.

And an interesting, if slightly predictable list of music for the celebration. It will be good to watch it - from afar!!!

Messe de Minuit (Gloria, Agnus Dei) - Marc-Antoine Charpentier

Quem pastores laudavere - Hieronympus Praetorius

Ordinary: Mass IX  Cum jubilo (Kyrie, Sanctus)  

Hodie, Christus natus est - Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina

Voluntary: Toccata-Gigue on the Sussex Carol - George Baker