Mander Organ Builders Forum

Christmas Postlude

Philip

I'm looking for a relatively straightforward but good fun postlude I can use after the Christmas carol service. I think I'll do BWV729 and then something else, so does anyone have any suggestions for something slightly 'off the wall'?

Depends on what you mean by 'off the wall'. Are you after high effort, low effort, no effort or slightly comical?

In that connection, Giwro sent me (and others) a piece based on Rudolph the R.N.R.D a while ago.

I particularly like the John Weaver Toccata, with its shades of Thunderbirds.

More interesting than The Widor Toccata is his Final from Symphony no.2 - a good Christmas piece. Ditto Mulet's Carillon-Sortie.

For before a service, I like the Drakeford Carol Preludes, a syrupy version of Silent Night arr.Henry Gheel and Clifford's Carol by Barrie Cabena.

All those lovely French Noels of course. There's a wonderful Karg-Elert In Dulci Jubilo. Do you know any Hermann Schroder? The last of his Preludes and Intermezzi is great fun and perfect for the end of a high energy service.

There's always Leroy Anderson's Sleigh Ride.

At all costs, keep off the Messiaen this year!!! Those who like it still do (including me), but those who don't have definitely had enough.

Something slightly comical was what I had in mind if I could find it. Evidently I don't have a lot of time so big scale stuff like the Mulet or Widor would be out (and probably beyond my abilities anyway).

The piece on Rudolph sounds interesting, perhaps I should send Giwro a PM. Likewise the Sleigh Ride. Are either of these difficult?

I wasn't intending to touch Messiaen!

Something slightly comical was what I had in mind if I could find it. Evidently I don't have a lot of time so big scale stuff like the Mulet or Widor would be out (and probably beyond my abilities anyway).

The piece on Rudolph sounds interesting, perhaps I should send Giwro a PM. Likewise the Sleigh Ride. Are either of these difficult?

I wasn't intending to touch Messiaen!

'Giwro' has always been friendly in my experience - Mr.Jonathan Orwig, he's a gifted performer as well as an expert on long-lost organ Symphonies.

Sleigh Ride - I use a piano version - it's as difficult or as easy as one wants to make it.

Not in the comical vein, but I frequently use Andrew Carter's Toccata on Veni Emmanuel. Its in the OUP Christmas book (quite a useful book, if for no other reason that you only need to have one book in your hand in the pub before, though carrying organ shoes as well always raises an eyebrow or two!), or there's an OUP Carter album, which I have, but other than a very nice Aria, have yet to find another use for.

The Carter is pretty straightforward, though a decent reed will come in useful. The book also has 'Walking in the Air' in it, which I dare not play during a service, but did use in a Christmas recital once.

'Giwro' has always been friendly in my experience - Mr.Jonathan Orwig, he's a gifted performer as well as an expert on long-lost organ Symphonies.

Sleigh Ride - I use a piano version - it's as difficult or as easy as one wants to make it.

<blushes>

I try to be friendly <chuckle>

What use is this kind of forum if we can't help one another out?

I've replied to Philip via PM, but I'll give some further links/suggestions below:

Fuga a la Noel

the eponymous above-mentioned Rudolph

my own Toccata Nervosa

Best to all,

- G

I always play the Garth Edmundson (sp.) Vom Himmel Hoch toccata.

People seem to enjoy it and it does make an organ sound its best.

I'm playing the Edmundson this year too (probably at 2:00 AM ;-)) - thanks to a fellow forummember.

Guest Echo Gamba
The book also has 'Walking in the Air' in it, which I dare not play during a service, but did use in a Christmas recital once.

I have often played Walking In The Air before a Carol Service, and found that it has gone down well. Robert Gower's arrangement is good. I was asked to play it before a child's funeral just before Christmas a few years ago.

Many thanks as always for all the suggestions.

On visiting my local music shop, I found in their Christmas organ section a Malcolm Archer piece "Sleigh Bells Across the Snow" which fits the quirky theme. Probably not as good as the Sleigh Ride, but nonetheless an original organ composition which is reasonably entertaining. The use of bells helps!

Is anyone thinking of doing Pastorale a Gesu Bambino by Pietro Yon? I needed a new Christmas Postlude - if that's what you call the thing at the end -and have settled on that one.

Reasonably easy (crucially, for me!) but I'm not sure how it would fit with the Bach the OP was planning.

Someone mentioned the French Noels (Dacquin?). I've never hear it/them played so would appreciate being pointed in the direction of a recording because I've no Idea really how to register it with my limited resources.

Guest Echo Gamba
Is anyone thinking of doing Pastorale a Gesu Bambino by Pietro Yon? I needed a new Christmas Postlude - if that's what you call the thing at the end -and have settled on that one.

Reasonably easy (crucially, for me!) but I'm not sure how it would fit with the Bach the OP was planning.

Someone mentioned the French Noels (Dacquin?). I've never hear it/them played so would appreciate being pointed in the direction of a recording because I've no Idea really how to register it with my limited resources.

Personally, I would go for something loud as a christmas postlude rather than the Yon you mention.

Here's some Daquin http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=7VCprrKl2sI - Not my favourite performance, certainly in terms of registration, but gives you a flavour.

PS - could someone give me an "idiot"s guide" as to how to convert a URL into the word "here" like people seem to do? :lol:

Guest Echo Gamba
Ah, well.

I'll probably still play it, but with something loud and festive before it.

Thank you for the Dacquin link - it gives me an idea.

Why not do the Yon before, or during Communion?

Why not do the Yon before, or during Communion?

I did wonder about that but there is a short section where it goes all forte with a pause and some kind of dramatic cadence, that didn't quite seem to lend itself to Communion. I don't want to get them too excited!