Mander Organ Builders Forum

Howard Goodall's Organ Works

handsoff

I, too, recorded these programmes on to VHS when they were first broadcast, but shall be buying this DVD when available on the assumption that the quality will be better.

Thanks for the 'heads up'!

I asked the company who made them some time ago if it would be released on DVD and they said no. Someone else must have done it, but note its on NTSC, which shouldn't worry most people, as most DVD players in this country play NTSC! Would hate people to be disappointed if they couldn't, they really are very good.

It is only £11.99 on play.com :lol:

I also recorded the 4x 30-minute programmes onto VHS but may well invest in a DVD copy from HMV: I have a couple of unused gift tokens from them. Thanks for the link.

The DVD copy should be useful for when it becomes necessary, with the digital switchover, to get rid of the our current video recorder to replace it with a new one. Roll on VHS though I say.

Dave

I'm really pleased that someone took the trouble to issue this excellent TV series on DVD.

Perhaps that same someone could somehow manage to do the same for Gillian Weir's 'King of Instruments', originally broadcast on BBC, because sure as h*** the BBC won't!

I'm really pleased that someone took the trouble to issue this excellent TV series on DVD.

Perhaps that same someone could somehow manage to do the same for Gillian Weir's 'King of Instruments', originally broadcast on BBC, because sure as h*** the BBC won't!

I sent her "website" a question about these broadcasts, ages ago, and as you have said they will not be shown, which is a great pity. I also missed her show on BBC a while ago, Omnibus????

It looks like I will have to ask her next time I am in Durham :lol: to borrow her copies.

Peter

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Were I in charge of TV graphics I've always been tempted to add after Howard Goodall's Organ Works..........."something which is of great comfort to him"

I wish Amazon would. I have been waiting since August for them to send me a copy.

I asked the company who made them some time ago if it would be released on DVD and they said no. Someone else must have done it, but note its on NTSC, which shouldn't worry most people, as most DVD players in this country play NTSC! Would hate people to be disappointed if they couldn't, they really are very good.

It is only £11.99 on play.com :blink:

If the worst comes to the worst, most domestic electrical and audio supply shops (not necessarily the 'big names') will be happy to de-regionalise DVD players, for around £20.00 - £30.00. Then you will even be able to watch Chinese documentaries on how to carry-out female foot binding, or to learn the Wu dialect of Mandarin - or even making Russian peasants' furniture.

Having watched the first two episodes of the programme, I was fascinated to learn that Spanish clergy clearly delineated by law the days upon which a Trompeta en Chamade could be used. How mean...

I am not even sure that Spanish clergy like the organ at all.

I once had to play for a Mass at the Cathedral in Santiago di Compostela, and to be honest, I was singularly unimpressed. Given that it is a major pilgrimage site, the priests appeared to rush through the service with an unseemly haste.

Although they did not seem to care how many of the Trompetas I used (both cases were bristling with the things, like stubble on the face of an old wino), this is the only place where I have been 'counted down' in order to stop playing at a precise moment - not one second more.

Fortunately I was improvising - I have a (possibly understandable) dislike of truncating well-known repertoire, simply because the priest wishes to rush back to his lodgings and open a fresh bottle of Sangria.

Having watched the first two episodes of the programme, I was fascinated to learn that Spanish clergy clearly delineated by law the days upon which a Trompeta en Chamade could be used. How mean...

Does anyone know exactly what this law said? Might the restriction have been for ceremoinial considerations? In Britain (and I imagine things were broadly similar everywhere) the liturgy was carefully ordered so that the more important days were marked by more elaborate ceremonial (use of incense, number of candles, presence and number of rectores chori, wearing of silk copes, etc., etc.) The use of polyphonic music is not mentioned because the ceremonial was codified before its advent, but it is obvious from the repertoire that its use was restricted to specific items at specific services on feast days. Were chamades in Spain similarly used to distinguish feasts?

At any rate, I think we should introduce similar restrictions here. You are only allowed to use the Tuba on Christmas Day, Easter Day, the Ascension and Pentecost.

At any rate, I think we should introduce similar restrictions here. You are only allowed to use the Tuba on Christmas Day, Easter Day, the Ascension and Pentecost.

I can live with that. Not a problem.

But do I have to use it then?

:lol:

I'm not sure what's going on with Amazon. Play.com list this title as being in stock, so you might be better off ordering with them.

EC

Thanks. I think you may be right. I'd prefer not to have to have my DVD player adapted, but if nothing happens soon that may have to happen.

In the 1960s there was an organist at St Andrew's Worthing (John Partridge) who each year during Lent voluntarily banned himself from using one of the three manuals on the magnificent Hunter organ there so that one year he would avoid using the Choir, the next year the Great and the next year the Swell.

I played there for a service last Tuesday morning and thoroughly enjoyed playing such a wonderful instrument, even though it needs a lot of re-leathering &c., I have known the church since 1962 but had never played for a service until last Tuesday.

Malcolm

If the worst comes to the worst, most domestic electrical and audio supply shops (not necessarily the 'big names') will be happy to de-regionalise DVD players, for around £20.00 - £30.00. Then you will even be able to watch Chinese documentaries on how to carry-out female foot binding, or to learn the Wu dialect of Mandarin - or even making Russian peasants' furniture.

There may be a little confusion here and earlier in this thread.

A DVD may be recorded in PAL or NTSC, and most recent DVD players can handle both. The only limitation is with some DVD recorders which only work in one mode at a time, so you can't play back an NTSC DVD when the machine has been set to record a PAL transmission.

Regional coding is different. When you buy a DVD with region codes 0 or 2 they will work in players bought within Europe, but region code 1 DVDs intended to be sold in the American market will not.

In the 1960s there was an organist at St Andrew's Worthing (John Partridge) who each year during Lent voluntarily banned himself from using one of the three manuals on the magnificent Hunter organ there so that one year he would avoid using the Choir, the next year the Great and the next year the Swell.

The reeds were not used during Lent in St George's Windsor in Sir Walter Parrott's time.

I'm not sure what's going on with Amazon. Play.com list this title as being in stock, so you might be better off ordering with them.

EC

I have just received an e-mail from Amazon informing me that the DVD has been despatched. So if anyone was hoping to buy one, they are obviously now in stock.

Patience is a virtue, I suppose!

The reeds were not used during Lent in St George's Windsor in Sir Walter Parrott's time.

This was also the case at St Mary's, Warwick in the 1970s at least as far as chorus reeds was concerned. I recall that the use of the Oboe was OK in a solo context.

P