#21 P DeVile

P DeVile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:59 PM

Pierre Cochereau:

More Rotterdam - worth watching for the concentration on the stop-pullers' faces..... and the shaking organist toward the end!

Daniel Roth - Vierne Symphony 2 Mvt1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOofV3PCnno

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor..... again. This time on the Hill Organ in Sydney Town Hall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FXoyr_FyFw

Peter

#22 Charles Wooler

Charles Wooler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

Not at all Youtube, but an interesting tangent. I've just ordered my copy of this. Has anyone else heard/seen it. What's it like. I have high expectations!

http://www.elgarfoun.../2/57/index.htm

Charles

#23 Vox Humana

Vox Humana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:04 PM

Of all the improvisations from St Sulpice, this is the one I find the most musical:

#24 MichaelDavidson

MichaelDavidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:41 AM

Next up is an improvisation on Psalm 54. Anyone know the composer?

And another improvisation on 'Holy Holy Holy':

Lastly, this piece makes great use of the organ's chamade ranks. Anyone know the title & composer of the piece?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmPYSlolSVw

If you look through the comments on these videos I believe that you will discover that they are all original improvisations.

Apparently the last one is based on "the dutch hyme: 'Eens als de bazuinen klinken'"

#25 justinf

justinf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:14 AM

There are several excellent videos in various formats (YouTube, blip, WMV, even the dreaded RM) available at this St. Sulpice web page. The most interesting are those of Daniel Roth improvising for visitors while calling out the stop changes: "Voix Humaine by Clicquot", "a wonderful stop, Flûte Conique, just behind the façade", and so on. Watch him stretch for the fourth manual and imagine Widor playing the Allegro from Symphonie No. 6 back back when the Récit was on V: The mind boggles!

Here is another recording of M. Roth, this time playing Vierne's Cathédrales in Rouen. I very much want to pick up this CD after watching the video, but it requires an SACD player. Has anyone on this forum invested in an SACD player? Was it worthwhile? I wonder if they make computer optical drives with SACD capability?

Moving a bit closer to home for most forum members (warning: PDF) I found myself enjoying this recording of Petr Eben's Moto Ostinato shortly after he passed. Linked off to the right you can find the same piece recorded in three parts at the Bätz organ in Utrecht Domkerk with some very busy stop-pullers!

Finally, for a laugh try some of this insanity. It must be rather difficult to keep up with the Joneses up at West Point, but the U.S. Naval Academy is gamely trying. Their "64' Double Ophicleide" reminds me of the sideline artillery fire at the Army-Navy (American) football games I saw growing up. It must be said that Veterans Stadium was a better acoustic for such cannonades.

#26 P DeVile

P DeVile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:41 AM

Here is another recording of M. Roth, this time playing Vierne's Cathédrales in Rouen. I very much want to pick up this CD after watching the video, but it requires an SACD player. Has anyone on this forum invested in an SACD player? Was it worthwhile? I wonder if they make computer optical drives with SACD capability?

These SACD JAV recordings can play on ordinary CD players too. I have the one from St Sulpice "The Widor Mass", which amongst other bits and pieces, the Mass for 2 choirs and 2 organs is performed and is excellent

Peter

#27 nachthorn

nachthorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:43 PM

All SACD discs should contain a second physical layer with standard CD audio data, and this layer should play in standard CD players. There is no computer optical drive that can read the SACD layer (but they should all read the CD layer).

I have an SACD player but rarely use it for that purpose due to the relative paucity of true SACD disc releases. Quite a number actually turn out to be remastered CD recordings, sometimes with surround channel content, but rarely at a quality greater than that of a CD. IMHO it's not worth it for SACD alone, but is useful to have if it comes as part of a good quality system you were going to buy anyway! Whether SACD and its rival, DVD-A, gain a critical market mass, only time will tell...

#28 pwhodges

pwhodges

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:03 PM

All SACD discs should contain a second physical layer with standard CD audio data, and this layer should play in standard CD players. There is no computer optical drive that can read the SACD layer (but they should all read the CD layer).

There are some SACDs which have no CD layer, but use the SACD layer to hold a much greater amount of stereo. For instance, BIS sell Fagius's complete Bach organ works on 17 CDs, or on 5 SACDs.

Paul

#29 davidh

davidh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:19 PM

SACDs are a problem for those of us who use a DVD player for playing CDs. Once that they have detected that there is a second layer they are unable to cope. One solution to this problem, if you have a computer with a CD reader, is to copy the CD (and it copies the CD layer only) onto an ordinary CD. Doesn't work if your computer has a DVD reader!

#30 justinf

justinf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:31 PM

The Daniel Roth CD appears to have both layers, but his narrated tour of the organ is only available on the SACD layer. I am curious to hear some of the stops in isolation, such as the Voix Éolienne. For those interested, organist Christine Kamp has put up some interesting pictures of the instrument including a short video.

Thank you all for the helpful SACD information, although I must apologise for diverting this thread with technical talk. To put us back on track, here is Stanford's Magnificat in G from YouTube.

#31 pwhodges

pwhodges

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:07 PM

Doesn't work if your computer has a DVD reader!

My various computer DVDs all read the CD layer of a SACD perfectly happily.

Paul

#32 Contrabombarde

Contrabombarde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:11 PM

Sadly the experiment of two Oxbridge organ students playing Widor's tocatto as a duet (with each playing four bars before one slides off the bench to the left as the other joins from the right, keeping the playing continuous throughout) has been deleted. It has to rank as probably the funniest clip i have yet seen on Youtube and I hope two people will take up the challnege to rpelicate it somje day!

The recording of Virgil Fox playing is here, sorry for the broken link before. I think Cameron Carpenter wins though...
http://uk.youtube.co...&...ted&search=

#33 Vox Humana

Vox Humana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:21 PM

The recording of Virgil Fox playing is here, sorry for the broken link before. I think Cameron Carpenter wins though...
http://uk.youtube.co...&...ted&search=

And if you want to have a go for yourselves, it's movement IV of this: https://urresearch.r...andle/1802/3802
(Good old Sibley comes up trumps again.)

#34 Colin Harvey

Colin Harvey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:19 PM

Michel Chapuis improvising on the organ of the Chapel Royal at Versailles
http://fr.youtube.co...feature=related

Best wishes

J

Thank you for this link. I keep coming back to this video again and again. It's beautiful playing and a beautiful organ. I want an organ and chapel like that in my house too! And I'd rather like to be able to improvise as well as that!

#35 AJJ

AJJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:30 PM

Thank you for this link. I keep coming back to this video again and again. It's beautiful playing and a beautiful organ. I want an organ and chapel like that in my house too! And I'd rather like to be able to improvise as well as that!

He has brought out a couple of DVDs on the Plenum Vox label - Personal Notes 2 and 3 (1 is just a CD I think) - my wife got them for me for my birthday after they had been mentioned on here. You get some Baroque improvisation and some Symphonic stuff at S. Ouen Rouen. Magic!!

AJJ
"…We can’t criticize the organ for being boring. In such cases it is the organist that is boring. There is no such thing as a boring organ."

#36 Jim Treloar

Jim Treloar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:45 PM

After this recommendation, for which many thanks, I've just purchased Vol 2. (Fast service from Amazon - ordered day 1 arrived day 3, and I didn't pay postage). Very enjoyable. although I think I would have liked a few more views inside the churches, and someone should tell Chapuis to cut his hair. For all that, I agree, "magic". The microphones were obviously placed at suitable positions within the naves. From what I can make out from the Plenum Vox website, Vol 1 was a DVD but doesn't appear to be available any longer, and Vol 3 isn't as freely available as Vol 2.

#37 davidh

davidh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:09 AM

After this recommendation, for which many thanks, I've just purchased Vol 2. (Fast service from Amazon - ordered day 1 arrived day 3, and I didn't pay postage). Very enjoyable. although I think I would have liked a few more views inside the churches, and someone should tell Chapuis to cut his hair. For all that, I agree, "magic". The microphones were obviously placed at suitable positions within the naves. From what I can make out from the Plenum Vox website, Vol 1 was a DVD but doesn't appear to be available any longer, and Vol 3 isn't as freely available as Vol 2.

I have just ordered Vol 1 (the DVD) from amazon.fr and they claim to have despatched it yesterday.

#38 davidh

davidh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:12 AM

... someone should tell Chapuis to cut his hair.

It might be better to tell him to get someone else to cut his hair.

#39 Pierre Lauwers

Pierre Lauwers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:27 AM

It might be better to tell him to get someone else to cut his hair.

So even the hair must conform to a standard ?
Remember the french tradition of cutting methods
could have left some fears of misinterpretations...

"-Cut me short, please"!!!!

"YESSS, SIR, TO LENGHT!!!"

Pierre

#40 handsoff

handsoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:36 AM

This fanfare is not a YouTube item - just audio and is posted without comment! (Except to say that I recommend that your PC's sub-woofer is active...)

http://web.mac.com/j.....pe Organ.html

This is my first post to the forum after several weeks of watching and enjoying the content.

I shall introduce myself later today when I've returned from Stephen Cleobury's recital at Birmingham Town Hall.

handsoff
Wanted Quantum Physicist, Dead and Alive

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users