Mander Organ Builders Forum

Youtube

Justadad

This is a bit of a change from the Thorne - St Thomas Mass!!! At leas it shows that even the great and good have to do the 'usual chores' too. I bet he doesn't get someone in the front row of the congregation as we had this morning who resolutely refused to sing the version of Slane without the two quavers at the start of the second line of each verse. With the ND de P Chamades I could have reduced him to a gibbering heap after verse 1 - my Swell Oboe was just not the same thing.

AJJ

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but was he as good as Briggsy? :)

Um....ah.... On the grounds that Ian might tell David what I have written, I cannot answer this question.

Seriously, DJB has a phenomenal technique and musicality. His improvisations I always found to be nothing short of superb.

<_<

Yes but he does get to have some fun with it beforehand- watch this clip first!

Now there's a thought - I wonder how something like that would go down at my place just before the notices! It might add a little spice to the whereabouts of the coffee morning or whatever.

AJJ

Guest spottedmetal
It looks like a great deal of effort to achieve something much better done by an orchestra. I'm sorry, Not my cup of tea.

One wonders whether one would like the orchestral version any better?

Best wishes

Spottedmetal

People likes it or not, that is not the matter, but this Video

demonstrates what a modern symphonic organ is all about.

And exactly like Bach's Vivaldi transcriptions for the orchestral

central german late baroque organ, this is a legitimate

use of the organ proper.

An Aston Martin Vantage is a car, a Hummer as well, even if their

uses differ (or indeed "should", but this is another debate!) slightly.

Pierre

People likes it or not, that is not the matter, but this Video

demonstrates what a modern symphonic organ is all about.

And exactly like Bach's Vivaldi transcriptions for the orchestral

central german late baroque organ, this is a legitimate

use of the organ proper.

Pierre

Yes - and if one listens to the CD from which this piece originally came one can also hear how successfully the organ copes with Anglican repertoire and the organ repertoire in general. This is what it was designed for.

AJJ

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few clips I have come across recently.

Firstly, as some might know on this board, Cologne Cathedral has two organs inside it: the 1948 Klais which is located at the crossing and the 1998/1999 Klais in the nave. In recent times the 1948 organ has been restored and enlarged from 86 stops to around 110 and two tubas installed down by the west door. Also it is now possible to sit at the 4-manual console near the crossing organ and play both the crossing and nave organs at once.

The effect is stunning as is seen here where the cathedral organist, Mr. Winfried Bönig plays - without a copy of the music - the Toccata from Widor's 5th Symphony. Superb!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWYDo36huLU

More music from the same location: what is the piece in this one?

I remember when I went to Cologne after the nave organ has been completed and opened. I was walking around the cathedral and, for a few seconds, stood right under that nave organ. Whilst I was standing there, someone started playing it. I don't know who the organist at the console was, but the sound was so loud I jumped! I am looking forward to going back to Cologne later in the year and hearing the organs in the cathedral is high on my priority list: I haven't been to Cologne in nearly 10 years.

Meanwhile, the organ of Passau Cathedral in Bavaria (which is, according to the person who put the video up, the 5th largest organ in the world) sounds in fine voice:

And lastly, I thought that Rick Wakeman was better known for other genres of music (rock / pop?) but either way he obviously didn't mind an excuse to play the organ when this video was taken: in this clip he is playing "Soul Morality" on the Willis organ of Lincoln Cathedral and, TBH, I don't think it sounds too bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCAvpxkIBIs

Dave

I remember when I went to Cologne after the nave organ has been completed and opened. I was walking around the cathedral and, for a few seconds, stood right under that nave organ. Whilst I was standing there, someone started playing it. I don't know who the organist at the console was, but the sound was so loud I jumped! I am looking forward to going back to Cologne later in the year and hearing the organs in the cathedral is high on my priority list: I haven't been to Cologne in nearly 10 years.

Don't miss the (acoustic) 64' then ...

And lastly, I thought that Rick Wakeman was better known for other genres of music (rock / pop?) but either way he obviously didn't mind an excuse to play the organ when this video was taken: in this clip he is playing "Soul Morality" on the Willis organ of Lincoln Cathedral and, TBH, I don't think it sounds too bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCAvpxkIBIs

Dave

Has anyone hears the cd this clip comes from? Is it just my 47 year old ears, or does the audio seem to sound muddy, the recording not close enough or using too many microphones I am a BIG wakeman fan, and have been since my mother would not let me go to the recording of "journey to the centre of the earth" in the 70¨s at the festival Hall, (I was only 13)

Right , off to Orange Square, Marbella, seems like there is a nice church up there too look at. I am on a weeks holiday in Benalmadena, costa del sol

regards

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few more random selections from YouTube that I don't think have been mentioned yet ...

First a brief piece of French newsreel footage from circa 1930 that contains about 30 seconds of Vierne playing at Notre Dame

Next, two very different performances of BWV 578 (each of which I actually quite like in it's own way)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sXJ_v9fHqG0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=olfxxNsubwI

Finally, something a little different from the usual "Daniel Roth at Ste Sulpice" videos ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_WUiD65knM

Or this one where seemingly someone who after consuming an over healthy ammount of Bordeaux took the wrong staircase while attempting visit Daniel Roth after Mass on a Sunday morning. It would have been interesting to see where they ended up after all the spinning around and lurching about - maybe head first down the 32' or marooned amongst Les Grands Jeux!

AJJ

I removed my last post, seeing as how I totally failed to spot that the link had already been posted. :lol:

Instead I give you this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=njV3Po8MlBo&...feature=related

Not the sound Bach had in mind, I am sure, but who cares? The performance of the Fantasia is as near perfection in terms of tempo and expression as I have yet heard.

This is not an organist but I think many of you would be fascinated to hear an incredibly musical performance of the (hiding head under bedclothes) Bach BWV 565.

I was riveted. He makes a better job of it than many do and I found it thoroughly enjoyable.

Curious? You should be!!

Bach BWV 565 d minor

Player is Dmitriev

Churchmouse

Or this one where seemingly someone who after consuming an over healthy ammount of Bordeaux took the wrong staircase while attempting visit Daniel Roth after Mass on a Sunday morning. It would have been interesting to see where they ended up after all the spinning around and lurching about - maybe head first down the 32' or marooned amongst Les Grands Jeux!

AJJ

There is an overwhelming case for the construction of a free and instantaneous teleporter to St Sulpice on Sundays :rolleyes: .