Mander Organ Builders Forum

Youtube

Justadad

Here is another recording of M. Roth, this time playing
in Rouen. I very much want to pick up this CD after watching the video, but it requires an SACD player. Has anyone on this forum invested in an SACD player? Was it worthwhile? I wonder if they make computer optical drives with SACD capability?

These SACD JAV recordings can play on ordinary CD players too. I have the one from St Sulpice "The Widor Mass", which amongst other bits and pieces, the Mass for 2 choirs and 2 organs is performed and is excellent

Peter

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is another recording of M. Roth, this time playing
in Rouen. I very much want to pick up this CD after watching the video, but it requires an SACD player. Has anyone on this forum invested in an SACD player? Was it worthwhile? I wonder if they make computer optical drives with SACD capability?

All SACD discs should contain a second physical layer with standard CD audio data, and this layer should play in standard CD players. There is no computer optical drive that can read the SACD layer (but they should all read the CD layer).

I have an SACD player but rarely use it for that purpose due to the relative paucity of true SACD disc releases. Quite a number actually turn out to be remastered CD recordings, sometimes with surround channel content, but rarely at a quality greater than that of a CD. IMHO it's not worth it for SACD alone, but is useful to have if it comes as part of a good quality system you were going to buy anyway! Whether SACD and its rival, DVD-A, gain a critical market mass, only time will tell...

All SACD discs should contain a second physical layer with standard CD audio data, and this layer should play in standard CD players. There is no computer optical drive that can read the SACD layer (but they should all read the CD layer).

There are some SACDs which have no CD layer, but use the SACD layer to hold a much greater amount of stereo. For instance, BIS sell Fagius's complete Bach organ works on 17 CDs, or on 5 SACDs.

Paul

SACDs are a problem for those of us who use a DVD player for playing CDs. Once that they have detected that there is a second layer they are unable to cope. One solution to this problem, if you have a computer with a CD reader, is to copy the CD (and it copies the CD layer only) onto an ordinary CD. Doesn't work if your computer has a DVD reader!

The Daniel Roth CD appears to have both layers, but his narrated tour of the organ is only available on the SACD layer. I am curious to hear some of the stops in isolation, such as the Voix Éolienne. For those interested, organist Christine Kamp has put up some interesting pictures of the instrument including a short video.

Thank you all for the helpful SACD information, although I must apologise for diverting this thread with technical talk. To put us back on track, here is Stanford's Magnificat in G from YouTube.

Sadly the experiment of two Oxbridge organ students playing Widor's tocatto as a duet (with each playing four bars before one slides off the bench to the left as the other joins from the right, keeping the playing continuous throughout) has been deleted. It has to rank as probably the funniest clip i have yet seen on Youtube and I hope two people will take up the challnege to rpelicate it somje day!

The recording of Virgil Fox playing is here, sorry for the broken link before. I think Cameron Carpenter wins though...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KbGCriVk9UM&...ted&search=

Michel Chapuis improvising on the organ of the Chapel Royal at Versailles

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=ArTJAlKPdpQ&...feature=related

Best wishes

J

Thank you for this link. I keep coming back to this video again and again. It's beautiful playing and a beautiful organ. I want an organ and chapel like that in my house too! And I'd rather like to be able to improvise as well as that!

Thank you for this link. I keep coming back to this video again and again. It's beautiful playing and a beautiful organ. I want an organ and chapel like that in my house too! And I'd rather like to be able to improvise as well as that!

He has brought out a couple of DVDs on the Plenum Vox label - Personal Notes 2 and 3 (1 is just a CD I think) - my wife got them for me for my birthday after they had been mentioned on here. You get some Baroque improvisation and some Symphonic stuff at S. Ouen Rouen. Magic!!

AJJ

After this recommendation, for which many thanks, I've just purchased Vol 2. (Fast service from Amazon - ordered day 1 arrived day 3, and I didn't pay postage). Very enjoyable. although I think I would have liked a few more views inside the churches, and someone should tell Chapuis to cut his hair. For all that, I agree, "magic". The microphones were obviously placed at suitable positions within the naves. From what I can make out from the Plenum Vox website, Vol 1 was a DVD but doesn't appear to be available any longer, and Vol 3 isn't as freely available as Vol 2.

After this recommendation, for which many thanks, I've just purchased Vol 2. (Fast service from Amazon - ordered day 1 arrived day 3, and I didn't pay postage). Very enjoyable. although I think I would have liked a few more views inside the churches, and someone should tell Chapuis to cut his hair. For all that, I agree, "magic". The microphones were obviously placed at suitable positions within the naves. From what I can make out from the Plenum Vox website, Vol 1 was a DVD but doesn't appear to be available any longer, and Vol 3 isn't as freely available as Vol 2.

I have just ordered Vol 1 (the DVD) from amazon.fr and they claim to have despatched it yesterday.

It might be better to tell him to get someone else to cut his hair.

So even the hair must conform to a standard ?

Remember the french tradition of cutting methods

could have left some fears of misinterpretations...

"-Cut me short, please"!!!!

"YESSS, SIR, TO LENGHT!!!"

Pierre

This fanfare is not a YouTube item - just audio and is posted without comment! (Except to say that I recommend that your PC's sub-woofer is active...)

http://web.mac.com/joe.vitacco/iWeb/Site/T...pe%20Organ.html

This is my first post to the forum after several weeks of watching and enjoying the content.

I shall introduce myself later today when I've returned from Stephen Cleobury's recital at Birmingham Town Hall.

handsoff

This fanfare is not a YouTube item - just audio and is posted without comment! (Except to say that I recommend that your PC's sub-woofer is active...)

http://web.mac.com/joe.vitacco/iWeb/Site/T...pe%20Organ.html

This is my first post to the forum after several weeks of watching and enjoying the content.

I shall introduce myself later today when I've returned from Stephen Cleobury's recital at Birmingham Town Hall.

handsoff

Terrific - improvised performance, tone quality captured and everything!

[Even allowing for the limitations imposed by hearing music over the internet.]

Fantastic voicing, too - this (to my ears) is no longer a vague homage to C-C, this is (from the evidence of your recording) firmly on a par - splendid by any standards.

Congratulations to all concerned.

My favourite is a performance of Franck's Premier Choral by the (Russian?) accordeonist Aleksander Skljarov: Part I and Part II. Unbelievable what he does on his instrument, and very well played. The sound is familiar with a French harmonium!

Gerco Schaap (NL)

Quite astonishing!! :lol: Such variety of colour and dynamics. Incredible. :lol: A very moving performance too - he understands this piece better than some organists I could mention!

Naji - I just adore this brief improv on Salve Regina. It repays several visits. Quintessential recent Hakim - tuneful, jazzy, playful, even childlike at times - and a classic dominant preparation which he then overshoots à la Walton (albeit in the minor). Superb control of both instrument and that famously luminescent acoustic too.

The Naji Hakim improvisation is stunning - I don't know he concentrates with the hordes around the console. I had an involuntary giggle towards the end when he was "crossing hands". It brought back memories of the Beverley Hillbillies when Grandmaw boasts that Ellie-May (really her grandson in drag!) could play the pianny (sic) so well she could even cross her hands on the keyboard....

The link below is the next section of YouTube and is well worth a few minutes of your time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibFI9xEaON8...feature=related

Peter