Mander Organ Builders Forum

Youtube

Justadad

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an overwhelming case for the construction of a free and instantaneous teleporter to St Sulpice on Sundays :) .

Indeed!

Where else would you find something like this?

Dimanche 15 octobre 2006 (Sunday, 15 October 2006) - 28ème dimanche du Temps ordinaire

10h 30 Messe Solennelle - Organiste : Daniel Roth

Messe célébrée à la mémoire de Charles S. Barker (1804-1879), facteur d'orgues, inventeur du levier pneumatique et de la traction électrique pour l'orgue.

Prélude (10h 15) : Prélude et Fugue en mi bémol, C. Saint-Saëns

Offertoire : Offertoire en la majeur, G. Schmitt

Communion : Cantabile, C. Franck

Audition : André Pagenel

Fantaisie et Fugue en sol mineur, J.S. Bach

Scherzo en mi majeur, E. Gigout

3ème Choral, C. Franck

Indeed!

Where else would you find something like this?

Dimanche 15 octobre 2006 (Sunday, 15 October 2006) - 28ème dimanche du Temps ordinaire

Messe célébrée à la mémoire de Charles S. Barker (1804-1879), facteur d'orgues, inventeur du levier pneumatique et de la traction électrique pour l'orgue.

Prélude (10h 15) : Prélude et Fugue en mi bémol, C. Saint-Saëns

Offertoire : Offertoire en la majeur, G. Schmitt

Communion : Cantabile, C. Franck

Audition : André Pagenel

Fantaisie et Fugue en sol mineur, J.S. Bach

Scherzo en mi majeur, E. Gigout

3ème Choral, C. Franck

I recently went to hear:

Dimanche 20 Janvier 2008 (Sunday, 20 January 2008) - Deuxième dimanche du Temps Ordinaire, Solennité de Saint-Sulpice

Prélude (10h 15) : Marcia (3ème Symphonie), Ch.M.Widor

Offertoire : Allegro cantabile (5ème Symphonie), Widor

Communion : Adagio (3ème Symphonie), Widor

Postlude : Final (6ème Symphonie), Widor

Audition : Choral (7ème Symphonie), Widor

Intermezzo (6ème Symphonie)

It would have been worth the trip just for the Choral - but all this in one service! :):rolleyes: Widor on Widor's organ.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

v=njV3Po8MlBo&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=njV3Po8MlBo&...feature=related[/url]

Not the sound Bach had in mind, I am sure, but who cares? The performance of the Fantasia is as near perfection in terms of tempo and expression as I have yet heard.

One Johann Friedrich Agricola, a student of Bach and one of the authors of his master's Necrologue, in 1757 reports the following from a visit at the Trost organ, Altenburg:

"In a certain organ, I heard the lieblich Gedackt, the Vugara, the Quintadena and the Hohlflöte, all of 8 feet, together without any other voice, which was of a beautiful and strange effect."

Agricola here lists the entire Oberwerk 8-foot foundations of the Trost organ, except the Geigenprinzipal.

Of course, this doesn't prove anything. Except that colouristic listening and colourful registration wasn't unheard of back around 1750.

Best,

Friedrich

...colouristic listening and colourful registration wasn't unheard of back around 1750.

Just so - and indeed I have pointed this out several times in the past, as has Pierre. It would be very interesting to know whether Bach subscribed to this fashion. I like to think he did, but who knows? But even if he did, mixing the 8' stops on a Trost and mixing the fonds on a Cavaillé-Coll and are two very different sounds and that was really what I meant when I stated that it wasn't the sound Bach had in mind. Nevertheless it works musically on that organ and that is the main thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple more from me:

Firstly, as has been posted elsewhere on this messageboard, the Demessieux "Te Deum" forms part of this year's Proms. For anyone who has never heard the piece, here is a sound recording (from Cologne Cathedral, 1980, played by Josef Zimmermann) and some pictures of the cathedral as well:

Next up, probably the oldest footage on YouTube? This video contains a short clip of Louis Vierne playing the organ of Notre Dame, Paris where he was organist for 37 years. The clip was made in 1934 as part of a newsreel in French:

Pity about the sound quality on that 1934 clip but probably the best that was available back then.

Dave

A couple more from me:

Firstly, as has been posted elsewhere on this messageboard, the Demessieux "Te Deum" forms part of this year's Proms. For anyone who has never heard the piece, here is a sound recording (from Cologne Cathedral, 1980, played by Josef Zimmermann) and some pictures of the cathedral as well:

Next up, probably the oldest footage on YouTube? This video contains a short clip of Louis Vierne playing the organ of Notre Dame, Paris where he was organist for 37 years. The clip was made in 1934 as part of a newsreel in French:

Pity about the sound quality on that 1934 clip but probably the best that was available back then.

Dave

I include this purely as a curiosity:

Where is everyone tonight, anyway?

• 5 weeks later...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7mDxKSrNdxw

this is the 'new' organ in the 'new' auditorium in Santa Cruz, Tenerife. It has a write up in the current ISO magazine. I had a tour round it recently and it is absolutely stunning. Seeing the En-chamades emerge through the wall is a bit surreal, but quite something!

for more info see

http://www.orguesblancafort.com/

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7mDxKSrNdxw

this is the 'new' organ in the 'new' auditorium in Santa Cruz, Tenerife. It has a write up in the current ISO magazine. I had a tour round it recently and it is absolutely stunning. Seeing the En-chamades emerge through the wall is a bit surreal, but quite something!

for more info see

http://www.orguesblancafort.com/

Even though I admire innovation, perhaps this is taking it a bit far! :lol:

JC

Sadly he is obviously quite proficient technically, just seriously lacking in musicianship and good taste ... :lol:

Would I be uncharitable if I suggested that he improvised on this because he's unable to play the real thing?

I see it another way, at least he had the guts to have it put on U Tube knowing it would come in for a lot of flak, and WHAT IF Vierne or Widor was around today, they would probably applaud the poor man :lol: And the American public probably like that sort of thing, and it would probably would get plenty of air time on Classic FM

regards

Peter

Aren't we being a bit unkind? After all he makes it clear in his biography that he's not an organist. He's a 'Fusician'.

:blink:

Weren't they on Dr Who the other week?

AJJ