Mander Organ Builders Forum

Recitals

Peter Clark

James Mcinnie gives the opening recital of the newly restored and completed Hill at Shrewsbury Abbey tomorrow Fri 15 October at 630pm. I say complete as it has taken 110 years to add pipes to the many "prepared for" drawstops but it is a beautiful instrument to play and hear.

Details of a weekend of events and the new specification can be found at

https://www.shrewsburyabbey.com/

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This moment has been long in coming and now after 110 years of incompleteness, it is definitely well worth coming to Shrewsbury tonight to hear the Hill organ played by James McVinnie at 6.30 pm. His recent performance at the BBC Proms attracted glowing reviews, and he is playing a varied and exciting programme concluding with a selection from the Stravinsky Firebird Suite. Tickets available on line or at the door.

• 3 weeks later...

The next in our regular recitals at St Michael and All Angels, Bedford Park this Friday at 12.30:

Jonathan Lilley (Waltham Abbey)

Music for the Royal Fireworks G F Handel  1685-1759

Ouverture – Bourrée – La Paix – La Réjouissance

Two movements from Suite Brève Jean Langlais  1907-1991

Cantilène – Dialogue sur les mixtures

Pensée d’Automne  Op.47 No.2 Joseph Jongen  1873-1953

Impromptu  from Pièces de Fantaisie, 3rd Suite Op.54 Louis Vierne  1870-1937

Final  from Sept Pièces Op.27 Marcel Dupré  1886-1971

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Next recital at St Michael and All Angels Bedford Park on Friday 7th January. Starting the celebrations of 200 years since the birth of Franck.

- Alexandre Guilmant (1837-1911): Allegro assai from Sonata No. 4 Op. 61 in d minor

- Ferruccio Busoni (1866-1924): Praeludium und Doppelfuge zum Choral op.7/76

- César Franck (1822-1890): Choral No. 2 in b minor

- Eugène Gigout (1844-1925): Prélude-Choral et Allegro

- Thierry Escaich (*1965): Évocation I

- Luigi Del Prete (*1977): Preludio

Maria Greco was born in Acri (Italy) in 1995. She started studying organ with prof. Federico

Vallini at the "S. Giacomantonio" Music Conservatory in Cosenza, where she received her diploma

with full marks with prof. Emanuele Cardi in 2016. In 2018 she received with full marks and

honours a Double Degree Master Program between the Istituto Pontificio di Musica Sacra in Rome

and the "S. Giacomantonio" Music Conservatory in Cosenza studying with prof. Roberto Marini in

Rome and prof. Emanuele Cardi in Cosenza. In 2021 she received a Master in organ performance at the "Universität der Künste" in Berlin under the guidance of prof. Paolo Crivellaro.

She has performed organ concerts in Italy, Germany and the Netherlands and attended

masterclasses with some of the most important organ professors such as Guy Bovet, Ludger

Lohmann, Daniel Zaretsky, Peter Westerbrink, Istvan Ruppert, Winfried Bönig and Maurice Clerc.

She has been selected as one of the finalists of the "Agati Tronci International Organ Competition"

in Pistoia in 2017 and of the “Domenico Alari International Organ Competition” (RM) in 2019. In

2018 she won the third prize at the 7th International Organ Competition “Premio Elvira Di Renna”

in Faiano.

In 2021 she has recorded her first CD “Portrait of the Ghilardi Organ in Battipaglia” for FSB Musique

• 1 month later...

Greetings all. I thought this might be of interest to members of this forum.

Some of you may recall posts of 27th May 2018 - https://mander-organs-forum.invisionzone.com/topic/4336-st-elizabeth-wroclaw-historical-reconstruction/ - and others about the construction of the replica of the Engler organ (1752-1761) in St. Elizabeth's Church, Wroclaw, Poland: the work has been going on over the last couple of years by a 3-way consortium comprising Orgelbau Klais (Bonn, Germany), Organowy Zych (Wolomin, Poland) and Orgues Thomas (Stavelot, Belgium).

It is pleasing to note that the work is now finished and the details of the dedication service and recital are now online. The dedication concert is scheduled for Friday 28th January and is to be given by Lorenzo Ghielmi (Titular Organist of San Simpliciano, Milan) commencing at 1800hrs UK Time (1900 Polish Time). Wroclaw City Hall distributed free tickets for this event.

The service and recital above will be broadcast on the city's website at http://www.wroclaw.pl and, in addition, there are "6 to 8 organ concerts" planned for February "so that everyone who is interested can participate in such an event live" which suggests that these concerts may also be broadcast live on the city's website.

The above info is from https://www-elzbieta-archidiecezja-wroc-pl.translate.goog/?p=2446&_x_tr_sch=http&_x_tr_sl=pl&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB&_x_tr_pto=wapp which also gives details of the dedication mass which, even though I don't understand a single word of Polish, is in my diary along with the concert and I will be tuning in if able. If I was in Wroclaw (I have been: lovely city) I would love to go to that inaugural concert if I could!

I hope this is of interest.
Dave

• 1 month later...
Thomas Allery
St Michael and All Angels, Bedford Park March 4th 2022, 12.30pm. Entry free.
Bataglia Johann Caspar Kerll (1627 – 93) 5
Chorale Partita 'Christus, der ist mein leben' Johann Pachelbel (1653 – 1706) 8
Prélude du Premier ton Guillaume-Gabriel Nivers (1632 - 1714) 2
Fugue grave pour l’Orgue Jean Henri D’Anglebert (1621 – 91) 3
Tierce en taille Louis Marchand (1669 – 1732) 2
Praeambulum in d Heinrich Scheidemann (1595 – 1663) 4
Dies sind die heil’gen zehn Gebot BWV 678 J S Bach 6
Marche triomphale Lemmens 4

• 2 months later...

Looking forward to Duo Svyati's recital at St Michael and All Angels Bedford Park, London W4 on 10th June. 12.30pm, entry free.

Abendlied – Joseph Rheinberger
Sonata in D major (Lento - Allegro - Largo - Allegro) – GP Telemann
Ich ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ – JS Bach
Humoresque – Joseph Jongen
Romance 'The Gadfly' – Dimitri Shostakovich
The day that was – Ad Wammes
Easy does it – Iain Farrington 

• 3 months later...

First recital of the new term at Bedford Park, London W4. Friday 2nd Sept 12.30. Retiring collection.

James Perkins:

Toccata in D minor BuxWV 155 – Dietrich Buxtehude (c1637 – 1707)

Cornet Voluntary – John Robinson (1682 – 1762)

Offertory on the Grand Jeux (from Mass for the Parishes) – Francois Couperin (1668 – 1733)

Six Pieces for Organ – Christopher Steel (1938 – 1991)

1. Intrada 2. Flourish 3. Nocturne 4. Dance      5. Meditation 6. Postlude

Litanies – Jehan Alain (1911 – 1940)

Prelude and Fugue in G Major BWV 541 – J.S. Bach (1685 – 1750)

• 6 months later...

There's a "coffee and cake" recital tomorrow morning by Dr. David Pitches at St Mary's Moseley, Birmingham B13 8HW. 10:30am for refreshments, 11:00am recital. Admission free with retiring collection. Come and here the fabulous Henry Jones organ of 1887, the largest surviving work of this fine Victorian builder.

Allegro Maestoso - Edward Henry Thorne (1834-1916)

Herzlich tut mich verlangen, BWV727 - Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)

Herzlich tut mich verlangen - Johann Ludwig Krebs (1713-1780)

Herzlich tut mich verlangen, F 8.2 - Johann Peter Kellner (1705-1772)

Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor - Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)

Herzlich tut mich verlangen Op. 121 no. 10 -Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)

Herzlich tut mich verlangen, Op. 67 no. 14 - Max Reger (1873-1916)

Toccata in B flat minor, Op 53 no. 6 - Louis Vierne (1870-1937)

• 1 month later...

I notice this thread hasn't had anything since 24th March but I decided to bump it to pass on this date for your diaries. It should be good!

ROYAL ALBERT HALL
Sunday 04th June, 7:30pm

Concert featuring David Brggs, Wayne Marshall, Thomas Trotter, Anna Lapwood & Isabelle Demers as part of the RAH 150 celebrations. Details & programme: https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2023/organ-celebration/

I don't know how many tickets remain for this concert which has been rescheduled from Thursday 20th May 2021: the RAH website says tickets for the original date are valid for the new one. It would be good if BBC Radio 3 aired this for the benefit of those who can't get to London easily.

Dave

• 4 months later...

Between September and November this year the regular lunchtime recital series at Bristol Cathedral continues to take place. This will be the final season of recitals before the organ is dismantled and departs for more than a year of restoration work. The remaining lunchtime organ recitals for this term are:

10th October: Christian Gautsci (Reformed Church, Zurich-Oerlikon, Switzerland)
17th October: Alison Howell (Organ) & Tilly Chester (Violin)
7th November: Farewell recital by the organists of the cathedral (Mark Lee (Organist & Master of Choristers) and Paul Walton (Assistant Organist) will feature in this along with, I would imagine, William Forrest who is the cathedral's Music Assistant and has organ playing duties as part of that role).

All concerts start at 1:15pm. A full list of recitals, including ones not featuring the organ, can be found at https://bristol-cathedral.co.uk/whats-on/lunchtime-recital-series.html

Dave

• 4 months later...

As announced on the Peterhouse thread, these recitals celebrating the restoration of the College organ.  Note that the first is tomorrow:

Saturday 03 February – Katelyn Emerson (Gonville and Caius)
Saturday 10 February – Anthony Gritten (Royal Academy of Music)
Saturday 17 February – William Whitehead (Lincoln’s Inn)
Saturday 24 February – Sietze de Vries (Groningen)
Saturday 02 March – Anne Page (Cambridge)
Saturday 09 March – Anna Steppler (Peterhouse)

All of the above recitals will take place in the Peterhouse Chapel and will begin at 6 p.m, lasting around an hour. The events are free to attend and are open to the public. Tickets can be booked either through Ticket Tailor at the above links, or by emailing Harriet Clark on harriet.clark@pet.cam.ac.uk. We ask that attendees enter the College via the Porter’s Lodge and be seated by 5.50 p.m. please.“

One must add how sad that Catherine Ennis did not live to see the project come to fruition.

1 hour ago, John Robinson said:

Cage!  What a load of absolute nonsense this so-called piece of 'music' is.

What is your preferred definition of what constitutes music? This is certainly organised sound. Other definitions are available.

I feel a special link of some sort exists between the piece and performing it on the organ.  Yehudi Menuhin described the organ as linking "the mind of the Creator (or the Universal Mind if you prefer) with the human mind", and elsewhere as "an instrument of the elements, a superhuman instrument born of wind and rock, of air and shapes".  The composition itself seems similarly elemental to me.  Other aspects might illustrate the differences between acoustic art (music) and visual art.  For example it is easier to give an immortality measured in many centuries to great paintings (such as the Mona Lisa) than to do the same with (the actual sounds of) music, so perhaps Cage had ideas such as this in mind.

I believe he also envisaged the piece being played on the piano.  Here, there might be a connection with his concepts of silence which he explored in other works where nothing is actually played.  Yet in these cases one does not hear nothing at all, and on the piano the sustain ('loud') pedal can be used to amplify and extend the duration of whatever ambient sounds exist in the auditorium, because they excite the strings into resonance.

At the very least, it makes one think I would suggest!

14 minutes ago, Colin Pykett said:

At the very least, it makes one think I would suggest!

Again, exactly.

What is 'rubbish' to one, is treasure to another. For instance, in the disparate worlds of reclamation by Archaeology and from car boot sales and refuse disposal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2024 at 22:24, innate said:

What is your preferred definition of what constitutes music? This is certainly organised sound. Other definitions are available.

Something which changes and progresses far more quickly... in fact, preferably in less than a day!

Can you hum along to this particular 'piece', for example?  🤣

19 minutes ago, John Robinson said:

Something which changes and progresses far more quickly... in fact, preferably in less than a day!

Can you hum along to this particular 'piece', for example?  🤣

So you’re deliberately inventing a definition of music designed to exclude the piece you don’t like? There are well-known and loved pieces of classical music that last about 1 minute. Wagner's Ring Cycle is around 16 hours. So there was already a massive range of durations. Satie's Vexations lasts 24 hours. Can you hum along to Perotin or Steve Reich?

“There’s not a tune you can hum. You need a tune that goes “Dum dum dum di-dum”.” Stephen Sondheim, responding satirically to all the critics that said you couldn’t hum along to his tunes.

12 hours ago, John Robinson said:

... Can you hum along to this particular 'piece ...

That's actually a deep question.  One can hum an SATB hymn tune, but how many people bother to ask why only the topmost (highest-frequency) line is singled out for humming?  Put another way, why do we not conventionally hum the alto part?  Questions like this were explored by Cage and others of the avant-garde movement.

Although I find the academic background to their work interesting, by and large I'm afraid the interest isn't great enough to persuade me to spend money attending performances.  But now we've descended to me merely expressing an opinion, which is pretty worthless.

On 17/02/2024 at 22:11, innate said:

So you’re deliberately inventing a definition of music designed to exclude the piece you don’t like? There are well-known and loved pieces of classical music that last about 1 minute. Wagner's Ring Cycle is around 16 hours. So there was already a massive range of durations. Satie's Vexations lasts 24 hours. Can you hum along to Perotin or Steve Reich?

“There’s not a tune you can hum. You need a tune that goes “Dum dum dum di-dum”.” Stephen Sondheim, responding satirically to all the critics that said you couldn’t hum along to his tunes.

Everyone is entitle to his or her opinion.
Personally, I cannot bring myself to refer to a change of note over several days, or even weeks,  as music.

Of course, if some of you enjoy listening to Cage's infamous piece which follows this 'style', I which you enjoyable listening!