Mander Organ Builders Forum

Open Day At Mander Organs

Guest Geoff McMahon

Guest Geoff McMahon

On Saturday the 24th of November, Mander Organs is having an Open Day. We hope to have things like metal casting demonstrated as well as the usual operations which go on in an organ works. The new mobile console for St Paul's Cathedral will be there to see as well as an almost complete small new organ for Rycote Chapel. It is possible that the new organ for St Giles Cripplegate will also still be in the works. More information can be found in the news section of this web site. Perhaps it could even be a meeting point for contributors to this discussion board.

We look forward to seeing you there on the day.

John Pike Mander

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Saturday the 24th of November, Mander Organs is having an Open Day. We hope to have things like metal casting demonstrated as well as the usual operations which go on in an organ works. The new mobile console for St Paul's Cathedral will be there to see as well as an almost complete small new organ for Rycote Chapel. It is possible that the new organ for St Giles Cripplegate will also still be in the works. More information can be found in the news section of this web site. Perhaps it could even be a meeting point for contributors to this discussion board.

We look forward to seeing you there on the day.

John Pike Mander

Thanks John,

Will definitely try to be along! Might tempt my wife along with the offer of early(ish) Christmas shopping in Oxford Street!

Charles

Guest Barry Williams
Thanks John,

Will definitely try to be along! Might tempt my wife along with the offer of early(ish) Christmas shopping in Oxford Street!

Charles

My wife prefers organ building to Christmas Shopping - and steam engines!

Barry Williams

Guest Barry Williams
Lucky you- it sounds a lot cheaper than shopping! :lol:

Don't you belive it! The pipe organ cost quite a lot and now June wants a 5" gauge steam railway.

Barry Williams

Don't you belive it! The pipe organ cost quite a lot and now June wants a 5" gauge steam railway.

Barry Williams

Hi

Sadly, time & distance mean that I can't get there - and I wish my wife was interested in organs & steam railways!

Every Blessing

Tony

Ive always wanted to see the mander works, looking forward to coming.

i'm bringing my girlfriend and children to see christmas lights etc .

A great idea of John Manders for contributors to meet each other. I have never visited a real organ works, so I look forward to the visit.

Do we have to book ?

Colin Richell.

• 1 month later...
Guest Geoff McMahon

Everything is going well for the Open Day. We are expecting about 200 people during the day. The St Paul's console is all complete, the organ for St Giles Cripplegate is still here and the casework for the chamber organ for Rycote Park Chapel is also finished. Two chamber organs normally used for hire will be set up in the mill, one tuned to A440 equal temperament and the other to A415 Vallotti, so bring some music and see how different it sound in the two tunings. We will be casting metal, so this will be a unique opportunity to see that going on. Somebody will be making pipes as well. In the voicing shop there will be an opportunity to try your hand at tuning.

If you need guidance to find us, there is a map you can download in the NEWS section of this web site as well. Discussion Board contributors can meet in the canteen (along with others of course) to continue their heated discussions off-line over tea and biscuits! How will discussion board members recognise each other? How about bringing an umbrella if you are one? You won't actually need one as the weather is set to be fine.

We are looking forward to seeing you.

John Pike Mander

What a morning I've had at Manders !!- such interesting displays, including pipe making, pipe metal casting - enough metal cast for a thousand organs! - and all the tools you could ever imagine! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks very much to Manders and all their craftsmen !!

What a fascinating morning spent at the workshops. On one hand I wish I'd brought my family along to see it too, but on the other I would never have got away with spending the best part of the morning there.

It was truly illuminating and the craftsmen were all so enthusiatic and willing to share their knowledge and love of their work.

Huge thanks to all involved in hosting this day.

A huge thank you to all at Manders for an enthralling and clearly very successful day. I came prepared for an hour or so, but stayed for just over four and never for a moment felt I'd overstayed my welcome.

All the staff - a very international team - were more than happy to talk in detail about, and demonstrate, their craft and art, and I learned a lot! I know that much work will have gone on behind the scenes to prepare for the Open Day and I do hope that the staff found their efforts were worthwhile and rewarding. Two activities stand out among a host of items - firstly the demonstration of pipe metal casting which saw sheets of spotted metal being created and secondly the opportunity to play and compare the two continuo organs was excellent! Although somewhat large for my stocking, if Santa insists then I'll just get a bigger one!

The last Open Day was - apparently - some 8 years ago. Clearly the success of such an event is partly governed by the work in progress that can be shown off, but I do hope it won't be a further 8 years before we're fortunate enough to have another opportunity to peek behind the scenes.

Thank you all again for such a memorable day.

I intended to write about the open day as soon as I returned home, but I find that two people have beaten me to it.

I can only offer my thanks to John Mander and his staff for being so enthusiastic and knowledgeable about organ building.

I was also pleased to meet John and his children, and having spoken to John at length, it is obvious that the Mander family are steeped in true organ building tradition, and did not become organ builders on a whim.

The workshops were very impressive, and we are all pleased that Manders have so much important work at present.but then there is no doubt that Manders has always been a respected Company.known for quality work.

The free tea and biscuits were a nice bonus.too.

Once again a pleasure to meet real organ builders, and I look forward to the next open day.

Colin Richell.

A wonderful visit!

I think everything has been already said above, so I'd like to just add my thanks to all at Manders.

How many of us had a photo sitting at the new St Paul's console? Yes, and pulling out the Royal Trumpet stops... well you have to really, don't you?!!! :rolleyes:

P.

Many thanks from my wife, myself and the two small 'AJJs' - a grand experience was had by all especially the 'smalls' in duet on the two chamber organs - rather atonally though!

AJJ