Mander Organ Builders Forum

And.... We're Back!

giwro

Whew!

I didn't realize how much I enjoyed this forum until it was down...

:D

Glad to see us back up and running - let's go, gents - get the discussions running again! :P

Thanks again to Manders for making this board possible!

Cheers,

- G

Guest Geoff McMahon

All credit has to go to the very clever people at the software house, Invision.

Welcome back, everyone. :-)

Guest Lee Blick

Horaaay, it's back! For a week or two, I thought I had upset someone. I have truly missed this forum and the people in it. Thank-you Mr Mander :D

Guest Cynic
Horaaay, it's back! For a week or two, I thought I had upset someone. I have truly missed this forum and the people in it. Thank-you Mr Mander :P

..and so say all of us!

:D

Guest Psalm 78 v.67
Horaaay, it's back! For a week or two, I thought I had upset someone.

Really?! You, Lee? Never! :D

Thank God - you are back.

Now I can:

1) Cancel the crate of Vodka (I could not really afford forty-eight bottles at once)

2) Not worry about sharpening my ritual hara-kiri sword

3) Cancel the therapist - and burn the Leroy Niman paintings

Mr. Mander - you have made my day - thank you!

:rolleyes:

Much as I enjoy crosswords or su doku while relaxing during a break, I have really missed the forum during the last couple of weeks. May I echo the thanks of others to Mr. Mander and his team for providing an excellent source of information and entertainment.

JC

yes it is good to be back. I honestly thought it was my computer which has been playing up recently.

As I cannot understand how to create new subject matter, can I take the liberty of asking a question about the Westminster Central Hall organ ?

Having heard a recording of the organ on "The organist entertains" recently, can amyone provide a full history and specification of the organ and which respected organ builder maintains the instrument ?

Is the organ used for concerts ?

Many thanks

Colin Richell.

Guest Cynic
yes it is good to be back. I honestly thought it was my computer which has been playing up recently.

As I cannot understand how to create new subject matter, can I take the liberty of asking a question about the Westminster Central Hall organ ?

Having heard a recording of the organ on "The organist entertains" recently, can amyone provide a full history and specification of the organ and which respected organ builder maintains the instrument ?

Is the organ used for concerts ?

Many thanks

Colin Richell.

Dear Colin,

the specification is here:

http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=N07728

The last rebuild was carried out by Rushworth and Dreaper to the design of William Lloyd Webber. I have to say that when I played it (about ten years ago) I was not terribly impressed. Obviously it is a massive beast with massive tone, intended for large gatherings. As to musical quality, well it did relatively little for me.

Dear Colin,

The last rebuild was carried out by Rushworth and Dreaper to the design of William Lloyd Webber. I have to say that when I played it (about ten years ago) I was not terribly impressed. Obviously it is a massive beast with massive tone, intended for large gatherings. As to musical quality, well it did relatively little for me.

It looks rather like two other large R&D instruments which spring to mind - Hoy Rude, Stirilng and St. Andrew's, Plymouth.

I further suspect that the Flute Nineteenth 1 1/3 is in fact a Septième, as given as a possible alternative. This stop was occasionally inserted by R&D in some of their larger instruments, particularly since there is already a Larigot on the Choir Organ.

Guest Patrick Coleman
Dear Colin,

The pedal department indicates both a Quint and a 'Minor Quint' - is the latter a smaller stop, or is there some real musical significance in the distinction?