Mander Organ Builders Forum

Recitals

Peter Clark

Not forgetting the organ world way downunder, Martin Setchell will be playing in Brisbane City Hall on Wednesday, Feb 4th at 12.30pm (Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" is included) ; he will also play at Hobart Town Hall on Sunday 8th at 4.30pm; and on Thursday Feb 12th at 1pm at Collins St Baptist church, Melbourne. I'll be tottering behind carrying bags, cameras, iced water and listening out for anecdotes :lol:

Churchmouse

Perhaps I may be permitted to point all and sundry, as I do once a year, to our schedule here:

http://www.magdeburgerdommusik.de/html/konzerte_2009.HTM

including not only Martin Setchell but also Jonathan Lilley, Ann Elise Smoot and UK-escapee Iain Quinn. Cynic will be doing the honours across the road at St Sebastians Cathedral, although I am afraid that I don't know the date off the top off my head (as hannibal Lecter reputedly said).

Cheers

B

Um, and may I humbly point out to those who might not read C&Owith all the painstaking attention that it undoubtedly deserves that I will be playing the new Slapp-and-Tickell in Worcester Cathedral on September 5th, and that I would of course be delighted to meet all those names?

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, and may I humbly point out to those who might not read C&Owith all the painstaking attention that it undoubtedly deserves that I will be playing the new Slapp-and-Tickell in Worcester Cathedral on September 5th, and that I would of course be delighted to meet all those names?

...and can I ask if you'll be having a little fry-up in the loft, Barry? ;) Wish we could be there .... :lol:

Just a note to remind everyone that David Liddle will be performing at Westminster RC Cathedral on Sunday 15th February at 4-35pm.

David is a very fine organist and is a former organist of Alexandra Palace, and many people wish he still held that position, but that is something for the future.

See you there

Colin Richell.

Members of this Board may not be aware that one of our regular contributors, Ron Bayfield, has developped an interest in braille in recent years and has transcribed a lot of music into braille for David Liddle. Any money he is given for providing this service for blind people goes to charity.

Malcolm

talking about David Liddle, reminds me when I first met him and his mother, one warm sunday in May, a few years ago in the Maddeline in Paris, a stunning recital, and also in All Saints, Hessle, Hull, not so long ago. A marvellous performer

Peter

THe Lichfield Cathedral Recital series for 2009, all at 7.30pm:

Tuesday 10 March-Philip Scriven; Tuesday 12 May - Martyn Rawles; Tuesday 9 June - Cathy Lamb;

Friday 11 September - Cameron Carpenter; Tuesday 13 October - Carlo Curly;

Tuesday 10 November - "The home team" Trios and requests.

• 2 weeks later...

Rather impressive for a 16 year old to have...

"mastered harpsichord, accordion, keyboard, electric, acoustic and bass guitars since he first picked up a violin when he was six"

... not to mention the organ.

Has our regular Devon correspondant come across this fine youg chap?

Chris Allsop, whom some of us met at Worcester Cathedral, is giving the Friday lunchtime recital at Birmingham (CE) Cathedral this Friday at 13.10.

Harry Bramma is appearing tomorrow (Ash Wednesday) lunchtime at Bradford Cathedral.

The article in the Sidmouth paper reminds me of the very well known (and long deceased) musical Brighton vicar who once commented to me about the organist of another local church "They say she plays with her heart and soul; it's a pity she doesn't make more use of her hands and feet". He was rather like that - all charity and tact!

Malcolm

• 3 weeks later...
THe Lichfield Cathedral Recital series for 2009, all at 7.30pm:

Tuesday 10 March-Philip Scriven; Tuesday 12 May - Martyn Rawles; Tuesday 9 June - Cathy Lamb;

Friday 11 September - Cameron Carpenter; Tuesday 13 October - Carlo Curly;

Tuesday 10 November - "The home team" Trios and requests.

There has been a change:

Cathy Lamb plays on May 12 and Martyn Rawles on June 9

• 2 months later...

We went to Coventry Cathedral today to hear resident D.o.M Kerry Beaumont play a lunchtime recital.

The last time I was there was on a Burnley Grammar School trip in 1969, so today was the first time I've heard this organ.

I was most impressed by it, and rather surprised that it is so infrequently recorded.

In many respects its sound and the acoustic reminded me a lot of Blackburn Cathedral, an organ on which many choose to make their recordings.

What do other forum members think of it?

DT

We went to Coventry Cathedral today to hear resident D.o.M Kerry Beaumont play a lunchtime recital.

The last time I was there was on a Burnley Grammar School trip in 1969, so today was the first time I've heard this organ.

I was most impressed by it, and rather surprised that it is so infrequently recorded.

In many respects its sound and the acoustic reminded me a lot of Blackburn Cathedral, an organ on which many choose to make their recordings.

What do other forum members think of it?

DT

A superb organ. Has many similarities with the similar vintage H&H at St George's, Windsor. The specification provides less flexibility than St George's, but the voicing has better tonal integrity.

• 2 weeks later...

and what about that beautiful instrument that is Beverley Minster?. Saw and heard the new D o M, Robert Poyser on Easter monday and D'Arcy Trinkwon on sat last, Now that is an under recorded organ, save for the few recordings that Alan Spedding made there during his long and illustrious tenure

Ripon Cathedral too

Peter

Any members in the Midlands (or thereabouts!) may be interested to know, if they don't already, that Olivier Latry is giving a concert tomorrow evening at Emmanuel Parish Church, Wylde Green, Birmingham: 7.30pm start.

DW

See you there! :rolleyes:

Would dearly love to hear Olivier but sadly will be mid-air en route to another page-turning tour of Uk and Europe...

It would really be a highlight if I was able to meet some of my forum friends (and in particular those who have helped so kindly with the birth of "organ-isms") at these page-turning concerts ...

If you fancy seeing an experienced turner in action (subtle flicks of wrist, while balanced on tiny blocks of unstable decaying wood, how to collect dropped pages from pedals, as well as additional malevolent glares at chatters and sweet paper rustlers etc...) the venues are

*Coventry Cathedral, Monday July 6th, 1pm

*Oxford Town Hall, Tuesday July 7th, 1pm

*York Methodist Central Hall, York, Friday, July 10th at 7.30pm

*Leicester Cathedral, Tuesday, July 21 at 8pm

*Bridlington Priory, Saturday, July 25 at 6pm

and then it's on to Germany, France and Italy etc. Incidental background music will be provided on the organ by someone. Oh yes. Martin Setchell. I have to bring him along really. But it's the page-turning that will definitely be the winner here...

If you want to see what scores I will be struggling to manipulate, view the programmes here: Pages being turned

Please come and say hello!!! It truly would be wonderful to meet my forum friends!

Chirps

Churchmouse :rolleyes:

If you fancy seeing an experienced turner in action (subtle flicks of wrist, while balanced on tiny blocks of unstable decaying wood, how to collect dropped pages from pedals, as well as additional malevolent glares at chatters and sweet paper rustlers etc...) ...

Better get yourself kitted out!

http://collegept.wordpress.com/2008/07/21/academic-dress/

:rolleyes:

May I alert you to notice of the Opening Recital on the new organ in St. James's Episcopal Church in the great Renaissance city of Florence (Italy of course!):

Saturday 19th September at 8pm, by Colin Walsh (Organist Laureate, Lincoln Minster).

There are a limited number of free 'House' tickets available on a first-come-first-served basis - please contact me privately asap if interested.

DW

Apologies for the self promotion but, I am playing two recitals in the first week of August. First on Monday 3rd August, St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral, Palmerston Place Edinburgh at 1.10 pm and then the following Friday 7th August, Truro Cathedral at 1.10pm.

Programme:

Fanfare (Four Extemporisations)- Percy Whitlock

Andante Tranquillo & Scherzo (Five Short Pieces)- Percy Whitlock

Choral No. 1 in E major- Cesar Franck

Sketch No. 4 in Db major- Robert Schumann

Piece d'Orgue (BWV 572)- Johann Sebastian Bach

Chant de Paix (Neuf Pieces)- Jean Langlais

Prelude and Fugue in g minor (Op. 7 No. 3)- Marcel Dupre

It would be lovely if there was the chance to meet fellow board members and finally put some faces to names!.

All the best,

Charles