Mander Organ Builders Forum

Youtube

Justadad

Nice job by David Rhodes: very jazzy piece by the sound of it albeit not one I have ever come across before.

When I was younger my Dad said of organ music that you can "always expect fireworks from the French" and a fine example thereof can be heard in this 2011 clip from Notre Dame, Paris. The music was composed by one of the Cathedral's organists, Yves Castagnet (rather an appropriate name for a musician?) who was appointed to Notre Dame in 1988 at the age of 23.

Setting: "Messe Salve Regina" (Castagnet) // Grand Orgue: Olivier Latry // Orgue de Choeur: Yves Castagnet

Well worth a listen: quite dramatic!

Dave

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This can be obtained as a CD or iTunes download. I also heard his ‘Poème sur un Choral Imaginaire’ at ND some years ago - an extended piece using both the west end and east end organs. This is available on Youtube too and deserves to be better known - an amazing sonic experience!

A

Now here's one I'm pretty sure you'll all enjoy. I had the privilege of watching Richard Hills at the 3/66 Kimball organ of Dickinson High School....via live stream! It's still there for folks to watch so, enjoy while it remains. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This may be of interest to some folks on here. Over the past couple of years I have been working on transferring my collection of Reg Dixon 78rpm's over to YouTube. I have some 500 in the collection, though some of these are duplicates (which have come in very handy!) , and I don't yet have all of his 78rpm output. As well as that, I'm also uploading what other organ 78rpm's I have, and may collect in the future. 

• 2 months later...

Two renditions of the same piece. I had never heard the piece in question until earlier today when I was trying to find Kalevi Kiviniemi's renditon of a piece by Wagner. The piece in these clips, however, is Michel Corrette's "Carillon".

First up: the rendition by Frédérique Gros on the organ of the Cathedral at Puy; a lovely building described on Wikipedia as exhibiting "architecture of every period from the fifth century to the fifteenth". Organ by Jean Eustasche (1691); moved and / or modified 1754, 1776, 1827, 1848, 1892 & 1937 and then restored to the composition of the 17th & 18th Centuries by Boisseau-Cattiaux 1995-1998 - https://www.aeolus-music.com/ae_fr/Instruments/Orgue/Le-Puy-en-Velay. I wouldn't mind a look at this Cathedral and I hope I will get there one day. It looks to me as if the main case dates from at least 1691 or perhaps slightly older? The picture of the organ in the link can be clicked on to give a much bigger photo.

The second clip is played by Kalevi Kiviniemi on the well-known organ (Holzhay 1792-1797, res. Kuhn 1979) of Neresheim Abbey, Germany. I have heard this instrument on BBC Radio 3's "Choral Evensong" a few times and love the sound it makes. I like the way that this organ has been put in without hindering the light through the windows and that certainly helps the Abbey to look at its best internally.

Both clips best listened to with a decent pair of noise-cancelling headphones. Enjoy!

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

One organist I quite like is Mathias Rehfeldt who does a lot of contemporary music combining classical organ and synthesizer. I find it's rather unfortunate that as I am posting this message he only has a mere 300 subscribers on his channel which is a shame as I think the videos he does are amazing and also unique.

For those of you who are curious the organ used in the first two videos is the Stockwerk Organ. A rather avant-garde pipe organ located in an office block.

5 hours ago, Tony Newnham said:

Hi

I came across Mathias Rehfeldt's You Tube channel recently - I find it well worth a listen.

Every Blessing

Tony

Thanks Rehfeldt's videos are quite something.

Another organist I quite enjoy is Hans Andre Stamm who some of you may have seen videos of him playing the organ works of Bach on the Trost organ in Germany. One thing I didn't know until 2016 was that he also composes music a lot of which has a Celtic style.

• 2 weeks later...

What would you do if you got a cipher on middle C?

Lovely sounds from the St Paul's organ rebuilt by our hosts. Of course there wasn't really a cipher, but I do question the wisdom of sticking a pencil into the keyboard to hold down a note. What happens if the end breaks off and you have a small piece of highly conductive graphite rattling around in the electronics?

• 4 weeks later...

Splendid stuff!  It reminds me of something I can now only barely recall (to the extent I might be deluding myself) - that the 'march' theme in the Dambusters 'goes' with that of Eric Coates's other work 'Calling All Workers'.  This was the signature tune of a daily 1950s/60s BBC radio programme called 'Music While You Work' that I remember from my childhood.  Much later, though still a long while ago, I think this congruence was demonstrated when an orchestra played an arrangement of both being played simultaneously.  This might have been a 'Friday Night is Music Night' programme as part of a tribute to Coates.

I wonder if anyone else can recall this?  The 'Calling All Workers' theme is below.  I'm sure Messrs Gledhill and Hills would be more than up to the task of demonstrating it on a theatre organ, given their performance above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhtOWG8aPC0

3 hours ago, Colin Pykett said:

Splendid stuff!  It reminds me of something I can now only barely recall (to the extent I might be deluding myself) - that the 'march' theme in the Dambusters 'goes' with that of Eric Coates's other work 'Calling All Workers'.  This was the signature tune of a daily 1950s/60s BBC radio programme called 'Music While You Work' that I remember from my childhood.  Much later, though still a long while ago, I think this congruence was demonstrated when an orchestra played an arrangement of both being played simultaneously.  This might have been a 'Friday Night is Music Night' programme as part of a tribute to Coates.

I wonder if anyone else can recall this?  The 'Calling All Workers' theme is below.  I'm sure Messrs Gledhill and Hills would be more than up to the task of demonstrating it on a theatre organ, given their performance above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhtOWG8aPC0

Donald Mackenzie, among others, has recorded "Calling All Workers" on the ODEON Leicester Square Compton for his CD, "Donald and the Duchess"

• 3 weeks later...

On another thread I recently commented on the way in which (whatever you may think about it) people are now able to construct a practice instrument out of a couple of MIDI keyboards, a pedalboard and a computer running virtual organ software. To be fair, such a "heath Robinson" approach to practising was probably similar to what many of the Baroque organists had at their disposal, though obviously they wouldn't have MIDI keyboards in those days. They would have had pedal harpsichords or stacked clavichords on top of one another, but that would still be enough to learn your trio sonatas on as this sensational new clip shows: