Mander Organ Builders Forum

Youtube

Justadad

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose that I am way behind with this but I have just come across the Netherlands 'All of Bach' project and there are some amazing performances. 

I found this recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES7fN2lXWHU

Some might criticise the tempi of the Prelude - personally I thought it to be superbly played.

2 hours ago, S_L said:

Some might criticise the tempi of the Prelude - personally I thought it to be superbly played.

I’m loving everything about it; sound, articulation, tempo. Reminds me a little of Simon Preston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P97d0Y8Hx_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgDE3klkmtQ

I'm sorry but the Netherlands Bach Society has told me what I always knew. I loved the following quote under the above recording!

When eminent biologist and author Lewis Thomas was asked what message he would choose to send from Earth into outer space in the Voyager spacecraft, he answered, "I would send the complete works of Johann Sebastian Bach." After a pause, he added, "But that would be boasting."

.......................... and some of the performances of the choral works are just as good

Leo van Doeselaar is titular organist at the Martinikerk in Groningen, organist at the Amsterdam Concertgebouw (did I spell that right?), and I think he is (was?) also organist at the Pieterskerk in Leiden, with its awesome 17th-Century van Hagerbeer organ, still with Blokwerk on the Hoofdmanuaal.   He has quite a CV, to put it mildly!

AllofBach is surely one of the best things to happen in my lifetime.  (It's even a bit too good to be true, all being available freely to everyone.... I can't help wondering if there's someone a bit shady paying for it all, but that could just be me being paranoid!) They are using a nice selection of Dutch organists for the project, Doeselaar is perhaps their primus inter pares but there are others as well.  I really enjoyed some I didn't know previously - for example Reitze Smits playing BWV662 on an organ not familiar to me or Bart Jacobs playing BWV545 at Haarlem or Dorien Schouten playing BWV578 on the Koororgel at Kampen. I also enjoy the interviews with the players about each piece.

The concerted works are phenomenally good as well - we watched their Matthew Passion on Good Friday and it was sublime.  ETA:  Doeselaar does a lot of their continuo organ playing, often on 'real' organs rather than box organs - eg the short but spectacular motet Nun Ist Das Heil BWV50 at the Maartinikerk Groningen.

14 hours ago, SomeChap said:

- we watched their Matthew Passion on Good Friday and it was sublime.  

It is to my shame that I have to say that I find 'Matthew Passion' heavy going! I listened to 'John' on Good Friday - it was sublime!

14 hours ago, SomeChap said:

ETA:  Doeselaar does a lot of their continuo organ playing, often on 'real' organs rather than box organs - eg the short but spectacular motet Nun Ist Das Heil BWV50 at the Maartinikerk Groningen.

Huzzah!

One of my bugbears. Seems absurd to go to great trouble to have all the other instruments “authentic” and then use a box organ, something totally unknown at the period and often tonally inadequate (e.g. inaudible in larger choruses). Even more so when there’s an actual baroque organ standing a few feet away unused.

12 minutes ago, Dafydd y Garreg Wen said:

Huzzah!

One of my bugbears. Seems absurd to go to great trouble to have all the other instruments “authentic” and then use a box organ, something totally unknown at the period and often tonally inadequate (e.g. inaudible in larger choruses). Even more so when there’s an actual baroque organ standing a few feet away unused.

I have often thought that.  BWV 29 usually fails dismally on that score.  Not so the NBS performance.

I can definitely recommend 'Graham Barber's Organcast' series on YouTube that he's been recording on his house organ during the lockdown.  Lots of interesting byways of unknown and better known music, very informative, and beautifully played as well (brave to play this wide choice of rep on a GD&B house organ - but it does work!).

On 11/05/2020 at 18:50, SomeChap said:

Leo van Doeselaar is titular organist at the Martinikerk in Groningen, organist at the Amsterdam Concertgebouw (did I spell that right?), and I think he is (was?) also organist at the Pieterskerk in Leiden, with its awesome 17th-Century van Hagerbeer organ, still with Blokwerk on the Hoofdmanuaal.   He has quite a CV, to put it mildly!

AllofBach is surely one of the best things to happen in my lifetime.  (It's even a bit too good to be true, all being available freely to everyone.... I can't help wondering if there's someone a bit shady paying for it all, but that could just be me being paranoid!) They are using a nice selection of Dutch organists for the project, Doeselaar is perhaps their primus inter pares but there are others as well.  I really enjoyed some I didn't know previously - for example Reitze Smits playing BWV662 on an organ not familiar to me or Bart Jacobs playing BWV545 at Haarlem or Dorien Schouten playing BWV578 on the Koororgel at Kampen. I also enjoy the interviews with the players about each piece.

The concerted works are phenomenally good as well - we watched their Matthew Passion on Good Friday and it was sublime.  ETA:  Doeselaar does a lot of their continuo organ playing, often on 'real' organs rather than box organs - eg the short but spectacular motet Nun Ist Das Heil BWV50 at the Maartinikerk Groningen.

Yes, you spelled Amsterdam Concertgebouw correctly 🙂

This organ you're not familiar with (played by Reitze Smits) is the Bätz organ of the Evangelisch Lutherse kerk in The Hague, a very fine instrument built in 1762. The young Mozart is said to have visited the organ in 1765. Details: http://www.hetbatzorgel.nl/het-orgel/orgel-dispositie/

But on topic, talking about YouTube and the magnificent organ of Martinikerk Groningen: I can encourage to visit this concert by 4 organists (Leo van Doeselaar, Erwin Wiersinga, Stef Tuinstra and Sietze de Vries) 

This coming Friday 15th of May at 9pm BST (4pm EDT/1pm PDT/6am Saturday AEST) sees a broadcast of Nicholas Martin at the 3/19 Wurlitzer of Turners Musical Merry Go Round. Make sure to set your reminder to tune in!

• 2 weeks later...

Members of this forum might be interested to know that a YouTube channel was established about 3 months ago dedicated to the organs of Cologne Cathedral, Germany. There are - at the time of writing - 9 videos featuring not only music, interior tours of the crossing and nave organs and other things besides. The clips are mostly done by Winfried Bönig (organist of the Cathedral) but one of the clips also features some technical insight from an employee of Klais (Bonn) who built both instruments and the videos are in German.

The YouTube channel can be found at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNAbpw1TN1AVttE3v2zRSSQ/ and there is also a Facebook page for anyone who has it - https://www.facebook.com/domorgel - which has been in existence longer than the YouTube channel.

HTIOI,

Dave

23 hours ago, DaveHarries said:

Members of this forum might be interested to know that a YouTube channel was established about 3 months ago dedicated to the organs of Cologne Cathedral, Germany. There are - at the time of writing - 9 videos featuring not only music, interior tours of the crossing and nave organs and other things besides. The clips are mostly done by Winfried Bönig (organist of the Cathedral) but one of the clips also features some technical insight from an employee of Klais (Bonn) who built both instruments and the videos are in German.

The YouTube channel can be found at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNAbpw1TN1AVttE3v2zRSSQ/ and there is also a Facebook page for anyone who has it - https://www.facebook.com/domorgel - which has been in existence longer than the YouTube channel.

HTIOI,

Dave

Very interesting.  Thank you.

Following the mention on the Organ Design thread of the organ in the Disney Hall, Los Angeles, I found this remarkable video from 2012 of a 16-year-old organist. I hoper’s fulfilling this early promise. The organ sounds great too.

On 28/05/2020 at 14:15, innate said:

Following the mention on the Organ Design thread of the organ in the Disney Hall, Los Angeles, I found this remarkable video from 2012 of a 16-year-old organist. I hoper’s fulfilling this early promise. The organ sounds great too.

I think we have good reason to be hopeful: he has a YouTube channel - from which that clip is taken - and his last upload was 2 weeks ago playing at Lviv, Ukraine. Clearly a promising young musician whose YT channel can be found at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPAlikiXI0qO1f7D3wFLktQ

Dave

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, pwhodges said:

From an email sent by Fugue State Films:

Three of Alkan's pedal studies:

Paul

Very nice out of the ordinary post, thankyou. Obviously a Harrison organ somewhere, but I not recognise it or the church interior shots. Presume the studies are available on IMSLP?

A super performance, both musically and technically. Alkan's music is on IMSLP, I once looked at some but it was clearly well beyond me. But watching this it's such good music.

Alkan is an interesting character. His Wikipedia entry is now much longer than the last time I looked, and well worth reading.

This is the Temple Church.

I'm slowly working through Anne Marsden-Thomas' book on Pedalling for Organists, and watching a video like this which shows pedalling technique so clearly is very instructive, although it will be some time until I get to this level ( Chapter 35: Chords ). I'll have to get my dancing shoes on!