Mander Organ Builders Forum

Rev. Tony Newnham

S_L

I share the sadness at this news.  Like some other former forum members who have left us this year, Tony was a man of several talents.  I first met him and his late wife, Sue, in the 1980s in connection with his professional interests in broadcast and studio recording techniques, and was impressed to find that he was also an organist and a man of the cloth.  More than occasionally, he would combine all three simultaneously during a Sunday service at the church where he was a Baptist Minister - having set up his recording equipment beforehand, he would then take the service, preach the sermon and play the organ if no other organist was available.  He always lived his religion, emphasising the supremacy of the religious aspects of worship and particularly regarding the importance of preaching.  And his musical tastes embraced electronic and reed organs as well as pipes - he was able to use the Expression stop on the harmonium, quite a rare feat today on an increasingly rare instrument, though he was defeated in his attempts to instil anything like the same degree of competence into me!  He became well known for his promotion of the reed organ and his knowledge of the subject more generally.  With electronic instruments, his discernment was based on an understanding of their technology rather than merely parroting opinion and prejudice as so many still do, and I recall his enthusiasm when cheap personal computers quite suddenly became powerful enough to host virtual pipe organ software around 25 years ago.  And his commitment to the NPOR, where he did a considerable amount of work over many years, remains part of the tangible legacy he leaves to us now that he is gone.

Colin Pykett has said everything which I would wish to have said, without having the benefit of knowing Tony Newnham personally.  During Covid lockdowns, and indeed now, dipping into old threads Tony’s contributions are noticeable for their considerable depth of knowledge, and the invariable courtesy of his responses, occasionally having to ‘field’ others’ sometimes unhelpful comments about the NPOR of which he was a prominent editor.  

It seems very sad that so recently with the deaths of Tony and Stanley Monkhouse, the Board has lost its two remaining clergy members, also both organists.  Tony’s contributions will be missed on many levels, especially his signing-off “Every blessing”.   RIP.

Very sad.  He joined a Bucks OA meeting I organised in 2016 to the GD&B at Dunchurch, which had been on his 'to do' list for a while and greatly enjoyed the opportunity to play it.  RIP Tony.