69 replies to this topic

#41 David Drinkell

David Drinkell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:56 PM

Cork - I think Hele added the Solo Organ and a large open to the Great.  The local builder, Megahy, had previously moved it into the famous pit which it inhabits.

I always liked it - it was one of the relatively few Hills which I admired (I am somewhat of a Philistine that way).  The recent rebuild, with west end division et al, seems rather extravagant to me.  It's not a particularly big church, although it has a great air of space and majesty.  Still, at least it means they are still supportive of the music there.  More power to the elbow of Malcolm Wisener, the organist.

#42 Philip J Wells

Philip J Wells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

There is a bit about the organ on the Wikipedia page for the cathedral.  Unfortunately, the link at the bottom of the page did not link through for me and the Cathedral website also appears to have bits no longer there under the music section.  This used to be on the Shepherd Bros Irish tuning round so I don't know if Eric has access to an up to date spec. 

#43 Neil Crawford

Neil Crawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:48 PM

Kenneth Tickell 

Manchester Cathedral, UK

Kenneth Tickell and Company are proud to announce that they have been commissioned to build a new organ for the Cathedral and Collegiate Church of St Mary, St Denys and St George in Manchester.
The new organ has been designed to enhance worship in both the chancel and nave of the cathedral, as well as being a distinguished concert and recital instrument. The musical and liturgical needs of a cathedral should govern the design and placement of an instrument, and for most of the working life of this cathedral an organ, or portions of an organ, have been included on the screen. The beautiful medieval screen will be reinforced to allow the new organ to sit above it with case fronts facing both East to the altar and quire, where daily services are sung, and West to the newly paved nave where Sunday morning services, many concerts and diocesan services take place.

The new organ, of six divisions, comprises 79 stops over four manuals and pedal. The main screen case will contain the Great, Swell and Pedal, arranged to speak equally east and west. A Choir organ speaks east into the chancel and a west facing Positive organ provides solo repertoire orientated stops. Both of these divisions will play from the same manual. On the south side of the chancel, a two-level Solo organ will be provided in a position least evident from the nave, allowing new eastward vistas to be revealed when the current organ is removed. The Jesus Chapel pedal 32' stops will be retained as will two of the high pressure solo reeds and the Contre Viole. The organ will have tracker key action for Great, Swell, Positive and screen Pedal, and electric action for the Solo, Choir and 32' pedal chests. All coupling will be electric.

The organ may be played from either of two consoles; a mechanical action screen console positioned on the north side of the case, or the mobile electric-action console in the main body of the building. Construction will begin in the workshop in 2015 with completion early in 2017.

The specification for Manchester Cathedral:-

http://www.tickell-o.../Manchester.htm

#44 AJJ

AJJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:37 AM

This looks very exciting. One point however - I wonder how the divisions in the main case can be equally effective from the east and west. I note the 2 x Open Diapason arrangement on the Great as at Gloucester but unless the other pipework is divided west and east (also as Gloucester) then there would presumably need to be some sort of compromise. Hopefully it will not be on a north/south orientation as at Exeter or Wells where to my ears at least the overall effect can be disappointingly diffused - indeed at Wells it often sounds to me as if it is in another building! Presumably also the Swell will have two sets of shutters.

We await further details with interest!

A
"…We can’t criticize the organ for being boring. In such cases it is the organist that is boring. There is no such thing as a boring organ."

#45 Neil Crawford

Neil Crawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:42 AM

Canterbury Cathedral Organ , Project Confirmed awarded to H&H.

Chapter have appointed an organ builder, Harrisons & Harrisons of Durham, to design the reconstruction of the Willis Organ in the Quire triforium as a four manual. The plan is to divide the organ’s pipework between the north and south triforia of the Quire so that a better musical balance is struck as well as restoring the organ to its full 19th Century capacity. Moving forward depends on finding an acceptable design for a new organ console which is to be positioned in the North Quire Aisle, above and behind the choir stalls. Once the console issue has been resolved, the Organ rebuild can move ahead, but it will take up to 2 years to reconstruct the organ and we still have to achieve full funding for the project.

#46 Philip J Wells

Philip J Wells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 01:55 PM

Interesting you have homed in on aspects of the console Neil as it has now assumed even greater importance in the UK now it is described as 'the office'.  I would have thought that with the organ now to be split between north and south, design work might have been directed to the two organ cases, if this has not already been done, or are the two haves to be just positioned at the front of the triforia?  I realise you have just relayed the information as released but surely all those goodly bodies who vet such things after much committee consideration will be more focused on the cases and the ensuing discussions, which must also have gone on at Worcester and Llandaff, rather than a structure to support a console (which we know H&H are very good at making)! 

I wonder what the cases will look like?

#47 Andrew Butler

Andrew Butler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:12 PM

Canterbury Cathedral Organ , Project Confirmed awarded to H&H.

Chapter have appointed an organ builder, Harrisons & Harrisons of Durham, to design the reconstruction of the Willis Organ in the Quire triforium as a four manual. The plan is to divide the organ’s pipework between the north and south triforia of the Quire so that a better musical balance is struck as well as restoring the organ to its full 19th Century capacity. Moving forward depends on finding an acceptable design for a new organ console which is to be positioned in the North Quire Aisle, above and behind the choir stalls. Once the console issue has been resolved, the Organ rebuild can move ahead, but it will take up to 2 years to reconstruct the organ and we still have to achieve full funding for the project.

Is the Nave organ remaining as it is?  Having the console above the north stalls would make it very remote - visibility and hearing-wise - for nave services...

#48 Andrew Butler

Andrew Butler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:13 PM

Interesting you have homed in on aspects of the console Neil as it has now assumed even greater importance in the UK now it is described as 'the office'.  I would have thought that with the organ now to be split between north and south, design work might have been directed to the two organ cases, if this has not already been done, or are the two haves to be just positioned at the front of the triforia?  I realise you have just relayed the information as released but surely all those goodly bodies who vet such things after much committee consideration will be more focused on the cases and the ensuing discussions, which must also have gone on at Worcester and Llandaff, rather than a structure to support a console (which we know H&H are very good at making)! 

Are there now going to be cases?

#49 Neil Crawford

Neil Crawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:47 PM

They may be further along then we think as the statement i found on the Canterbury Cathedral USA Friends website published 2014! Harrisons are not saying much on the project

#50 pcnd5584

pcnd5584

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:08 AM

I note, with interest, that the authorities at Selby Abbey are hoping to acquire the redundant console from the former Harrison instrument in Manchester Cathedral. There is a photograph of the console (sans draw-stop heads, and a largely blank ebony panel on the extreme right-hand side of the console) on the abbey website. It is intended that this will be restored and connected to the Hill/HN&B organ as a Nave console, in the hope that it will encourage people to attend organ recitals - which may well be the case. The lunch-time recitals at Christchurch Priory are generally well-supported, probably partly due to the fact that the Nave console and the player are on full view to the audience. It will be interesting to see if this scheme comes to fruition.

On the subject of the new Tickell instrument in Manchester Cathedral, does anyone know whether there are any further photographs of the installation (or at least the preparation of the site), please? I found a few of the dismantling of parts of the instrument, but nothing else since, except for one of the new console (on Facebook), again minus draw-stop heads.

Pierre Cochereau rocked, man

#51 Peter Gunstone

Peter Gunstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:54 PM

Local news article on the Manchester Cathedral Tickell installation: http://www.mancheste...s-new-25m-organ

#52 Martin Cooke

Martin Cooke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:38 PM

Not sure if it is just me, but news of the Canterbury organ has disappeared from the Harrison and Harrison website now. Still nothing on the cathedral website either. 

#53 DaveHarries

DaveHarries

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 01:33 PM

Not sure if it is just me, but news of the Canterbury organ has disappeared from the Harrison and Harrison website now. Still nothing on the cathedral website either. 

Yes I noticed this as well. No idea why, but I wonder.

Dave

#54 Neil Crawford

Neil Crawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:33 PM

The Canterbury Cathedral Friends newsletter Feb2016 has the following statement concerning the organ:-

Planning for the rebuild of the organ itself is well advanced and we are concentrating on the other major part of the project, the new console. Its location has been chosen (in the North Quire Aisle) but the positioning of the platform and the appearance of the whole structure are matters under heavy debate. We are working with some very reputable designers and hope to confirm a design by the summer. Once we have everything in place, including the additional funding that this project will need, it will take a full year to complete the work and in that time we will have to rely on alternative sources of music making.

#55 Peter Gunstone

Peter Gunstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:15 PM

The new Tickell organ in Manchester cathedral has been visually unveiled. It looks stunning! 

Pictures on the cathedral's and organ builder's Facebook pages

https://www.facebook...077448075650009

https://www.facebook...244123/?fref=ts which also includes a statement from Pippa Tickell:

Kenneth Tickell and Company are proud to announce the unveiling of the cases of their organ for Manchester Cathedral.

The instrument is not yet finished as there is still 3 months of tonal finishing to be completed before the instrument can sing its true tune. The removal of the scaffolding and hoardings around it merely allow us to see what we will have to wait to hear.

What you can see comes from the collaboration of many English organ-building talents: the case design by the late Kenneth Tickell and Tomas Jansky, the company's technical designer; the case manufacture by Penny's Mill of Great Bedwyn, Wiltshire, the flue pipes by Terry Shires of Leeds, the gilding by Chris Wells of Sheffield, restoration of the Jesus Chapel pipes and soundboards by David Wells (Organbuilders) of LIverpool and pipe shade design by Steven Raw of Manchester. Reed pipes have made by Killinger pipe manufacturers in Germany. The consultant is Paul Hale.

But while the organ could not have been built without all these talented craftspeople, the real heroes of the job are the Tickell team who have weathered the storm of losing their leader in July of 2014 to create the firm's third and largest cathedral organ to date. They have spent months on site and in the workshop designing, crafting and building the whole instrument with its dual mechanical and electric action bringing the whole together in honour of the man who is its originator: Kenneth Tickell. They are: Josh Anderson, Simon Brown, Stuart Coles, Tony Coles Jeff Hubbard, Tom Jansky, Michael Latham (sub contractor) Tristan Moore Tim Pipkin, Gary Stone.

We all look forward to early April when the organ will be "handed over" to the cathedral after Simon Brown has completed his tonal finishing and can await news of its opening.

Pippa Tickell
November 2016.

I grew up in Manchester and whilst I was fond of the old organ, the idea of a new organ on the pulpitum has been around since I began playing the organ as as teenager. I can't wait to see and hear it 'in person'.

Congratulations to all involved, not least Christopher Stokes without whose vision and patience this would not have come about.

#56 undamaris

undamaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:53 PM

Quite stunning! I can't wait to hear it either!

#57 undamaris

undamaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:53 PM

Quite stunning! I can't wait to hear it either!

#58 bam

bam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:28 AM

It's on the H&H website today under Projects and Plans -> Forthcoming.

There are photos of the restored ex-Manchester console on the Selby website:

http://www.selbyabbe...estoration.html

#59 madorganist

madorganist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:49 PM

According to Facebook, Canterbury is to be 4 manual with 83 stops

#60 AJJ

AJJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

The proposed Canterbury spec. Is out there in the big wide world via the latest edition of The Organ Club Journal if anyone is interested.

A
"…We can’t criticize the organ for being boring. In such cases it is the organist that is boring. There is no such thing as a boring organ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users