Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments

Guest Barry Williams

Am I correct in thinking that a contributor to this forum (Contrabombarde) is currently the Organist at the abbey (as opposed to Director of Music) ?

I was one of several regular organists who assisted at the Abbey during the year that I lived in Shrewsbury. I am aware that Tom had connections overseas so am not surprised he is emigrating and would want to wish him every success for the future. I remain in touch with friends from the Abbey and the last I heard there was a real desire to see a raft of much-needed developments including complete organ restoration and most importantly, some practical steps being taken to identify funding sources and start raising the necessary funds.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Auditions for DOM at the Free Chapel of St George at Windsor and the Assistant DOM at Ely are scheduled for May 2nd and 3rd. We should look for white smoke on the respective websites after the Bank holiday unless someone can enlighten the board from the social network

Well lets just say it looks like The Temple is up for grabs now (on the early-morning grapevine, so one assumes it to be true!).

DW

• 2 months later...

Does it matter, if they're right?

And they are!

DW

As a colleague of the aforementioned gentleman in his current post, I would say Yes, it does.

Your implication is that my question might appear discourteous.

I would respectfully suggest that posting such information before a public announcement might be regarded as more discourteous.

There is no implication of discourtesy (the suggestion of which I might actually resent): your questioning of the original poster of this 'information' however is discourteous in its tone, presumably because you didn't get to know first judging from the above. This is a classic case of don't shoot the messenger - the information is out, like it or not, the concomitant of the digital age in which we live, n'est ce pas?

You have posted to this thread previously with similar information in the "I've just heard..." vein (12th May) that implied that you thought you might be the first: did you bother to check if a public announcement had been made? I think you might find that enquiries made to or through this list are in the hope of hearing something before the public does.

I was told on Friday last week, by a Cathedral Organist, at dinner. I didn't think then that I'd prefer to hear the "Public Announcement" and I don't now. Sorry.

DW

My post on 12 May was based on information posted himself by the gentleman concerned on his Facebook page.

I think that counts as a public announcement.

I would not normally presume to post, based on hearsay, information that might be regarded as confidential.

My post on 12 May was based on information posted himself by the gentleman concerned on his Facebook page.

I think that counts as a public announcement.

I would not normally presume to post, based on hearsay, information that might be regarded as confidential.

The original poster to this list had obviously been told by someone presumably authorised to do so, if not, then that was their problem, not the poster to this list. My own 'informant' had already discussed it with Roger Sayer - to whom hearty congratulations, by the way - and so presumably that (under your 'rules') counts as authorised publication.

Frankly I'm astounded at the whole tenor of this inquisitional nonsense! And may I remind you that it was not I who alerted the world to the fact that you hadn't been told.

DW

The moral of this spat is to cite your source(s) thus or thus.

No it's not! There is no moral. This is life. Or, if you want to be high-minded, this is Life imitating Art. This Forum serves many needs and one of them is GOSSIP - the third oldest profession in the world.

MF

Gossip in a pub or around the coffee/dinner table is fine. The Internet, however, is a public medium (subject to the laws of libel), so people should really think twice before publishing stuff here and pressing 'Post'. Facebook, for example, has been used in far too cavalier a fashion, and there have been many recent incidences of people falling foul of the law in one way or the other because of material appearing there.

The moral of this spat is to cite your source(s) thus or thus.

Being in a cantankerous mood and having not yet exhausted my bag of popcorn, may I point out that I see no sources citied by Mr Williams, who, like mf2701 here, is just an individual posting on a forum. The fact that he is probably better connected than most of us doesn't ipso facto make his statement official.

This interest in 'sources' is curious. Much of what is posted on this Forum is speculation, or opinion (that is, up market speculation) or anecdote, all of which can be and are tested by list members. The source is most cases is the poster.

Wolsey argues from the particular to the general (unlike his eminent avatar who was prone to argue the other way round) and asserts that the Internet is subject to the Laws of Libel. No it's not. People and Corporations of people using the Internet may be subject to Laws of libel in some jurisdictions. The Internet is indifferent to what message it carries and blameless of the results.

The spat at issue was started by what proved to be a well-founded rumour that Roger Sayer is to be the next Director of Music at the Temple Church and a subsequent proposal/suggestion/complaint that such a posting ahead of an official announcement was bad form. Moreover, it was averred, any such remark made without ‘sources’ was invalid. Even if this point is clearly settled by list members, it will, I hope, not curtail the pleasure of those scouring this and other forums in eager anticipation of being offended by some perceived lapse of taste or manners.

MF