Mander Organ Builders Forum

Recitals

Peter Clark

Two free Lunchtime recitals (1.10) at Lichfield Cathedral:

May 3, Johannes Trumpler

May 31, Paul Carr

Retiring Collection.

I think mine's earlier 12.10pm?? I can't check easily as I'm still stranded in Chicago!

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 May 2010 - Yours truly celebrates 20 years as a professional church musician with a 3 p.m. concert,

sanctuary of Asbury United Methodist Church, 6101 University Ave, Madison, WI USA.

Music by Buxtehude, Walther, Peeters, Orwig, Blin, Karg-Elert, Kern, Purdy, Joyce Jones, Walker.

It's hard to believe I've been at this for 20 years (really 30+ if you count the fact that my father,

pastor in a small church, began roping me into helping out with music at the age of 14-15!).

Best to all,

- G

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

On Saturday, Bradford Cathedral is the venue for the second of our Centenary Events. Apart from the Cathedral Organ (see http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi...c_index=A00542), we have arranged for the Wingfield Organ (http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=E00205) to be in the cathedral for most of the rest of the year. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to play this instrument - it's a reconstruction of an organ from the Tudor period.

We also have 2 chamber organs coming, a Fairground organ (for those who like the lighter side of things) - and hopefully a display by the Cinema Organ Society. As I commented in another post, I will be playing a Harmonium at times during the day, and the Early Music Shop will be there with their kits of portative organs, along with displays by various organisations, and various other things describing how the organ works, etc. Well worth a visit - Bradford Cathedral is just at the edge of the city centre, close to Forster Square Station, and an easy walk from Bradford Interchange.

The day concludes with a special choral evensong by the cathedral choir, and a recital by cathedral organist Andrew Teague, including a new piece commissioned for the event and written by our president-elect, Paul Fisher.

Hope to see some of you on the day.

Every Blessing

Tony

(President, Bradford Organists' Association)

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

I would like to draw your attention to an organ recital that is taking place on Saturday 29th May at 7.30 in St. Mary's Parish Church, Saffron Walden. It is to be given by the winner of last year's St. Alban's International Organ Festival - Jean-Baptiste Dupont.

His programme will include:

Franz Liszt Fantasia and Fugue on B.A.C.H.

Robert Schumann Studien für den Pedalflügel

Max Reger Wachet Auf

Admission on the door is £6 and Students are free.

There is also a big screen.

Peter

Worcester Sounds - Saturday May 29th, 7.30pm

Worcester Cathedral’s past and present musicians come together to present a thrilling musical extravaganza of works specially arranged for the occasion:

Bach – Toccata and Fugue in D minor

Elgar – Pomp and Circumstance No.1

Handel – Zadok the Priest

Karg-Elert – Nun Danket

Lambert – The Rio Grande

Wagner – The Ride of the Valkyries

Parry – Jerusalem (with audience participation)

Saint-Saëns – Finale of Symphony 3

S. Wesley – Andante from the Duet for Organ

Tomkins – When David Heard

Daquin – Noël X

Directed by Adrian Lucas and presented by Nicholas Cleobury, this unique and exciting concert features three choirs, multiple organs and keyboard instruments, percussion and the combined talents of Christopher Allsop, George Castle, Daniel Cook, Andrew Millington, David Newsholme, Daniel Phillips, Christopher Robinson, Paul Trepte, Geoffrey Webber and Tom Winpenny.

There will be multi-camera CCTV coverage of the event, so tickets will all have good sight of the performance.

Tickets priced from £6.50 to £20 from Malvern Theatres website (www.malvern-theatres.co.uk) or on the door.

Worcester Sounds - Saturday May 29th, 7.30pm

Worcester Cathedral’s past and present musicians come together to present a thrilling musical extravaganza of works specially arranged for the occasion:

Bach – Toccata and Fugue in D minor

Elgar – Pomp and Circumstance No.1

Handel – Zadok the Priest

Karg-Elert – Nun Danket

Lambert – The Rio Grande

Wagner – The Ride of the Valkyries

Parry – Jerusalem (with audience participation)

Saint-Saëns – Finale of Symphony 3

S. Wesley – Andante from the Duet for Organ

Tomkins – When David Heard

Daquin – Noël X

Directed by Adrian Lucas and presented by Nicholas Cleobury, this unique and exciting concert features three choirs, multiple organs and keyboard instruments, percussion and the combined talents of Christopher Allsop, George Castle, Daniel Cook, Andrew Millington, David Newsholme, Daniel Phillips, Christopher Robinson, Paul Trepte, Geoffrey Webber and Tom Winpenny.

There will be multi-camera CCTV coverage of the event, so tickets will all have good sight of the performance.

Tickets priced from £6.50 to £20 from Malvern Theatres website (www.malvern-theatres.co.uk) or on the door.

Sorry Paul, yes yours is 12.10. The Bower Carnival procession will be passing through The Close between 1.00 and 1.30!

Thanks, Paul, for an excellent recital. It was good to put a face to the name. I'm glad that the Bower parade didn't intrude!

Thanks, Paul, for an excellent recital. It was good to put a face to the name. I'm glad that the Bower parade didn't intrude!

On Saturday the 5th June, the long awaited repairs to a cherished Hill organ will be unveiled .

The venue is ;St Mary the Virgin Church in Lansdowne Road Tottenham N17.

There will be a blessing and organ recital followed by tours from 2pm.

On the Sunday there will be a choral evensong from 4pm to give the public thhe chance to see the 1889 organ.

Colin Richell.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry that this is after the event, not before, but last evening Dr Francis Jackson (why isn't he "Sir"?) played at St Peter's, Stoke-on-Trent. How on earth does he do it? At the end of the programme he played Naiades and Carillon de Westminster, not a note out of place using 92 year old hands and feet. Legend is an overused word but this man surely is.

Sorry that this is after the event, not before, but last evening Dr Francis Jackson (why isn't he "Sir"?) played at St Peter's, Stoke-on-Trent. How on earth does he do it? At the end of the programme he played Naiades and Carillon de Westminster, not a note out of place using 92 year old hands and feet. Legend is an overused word but this man surely is.

I certainly think he ought to be. I think KBE or even GCBE would be appropriate.

The cynic in me wonders whether he doesn't 'move in the right circles'!

Saturday 26 June - St Peter's Petersham

Simon Preston will play the new St Martin organ

Programme:

JS Bach - Prelude & Fugue in A minor BWV543

JS Bach - Trio-Sonata in e-minor, BWV 528 (arr. M. Esfahani)

G F Handel: Concerto for Organ and Orchestra in B-flat, HWV 295, 'The Cuckoo and the Nightingale'

WA Mozart: Fantasia for a Mechanical Clock K594

G.F. Handel: Concerto for Organ and Orchestra in A, HWV 296

JS Bach: Concerto for Violin and Oboe in c-minor, BWV 1060

with the Guildhall Graduate orchestra directed from the harpsichord by Mahan Esfahani (a BBC new generation artist)

Online booking at www.petershamfestival.org

also - the only Rossignol in Greater London will be duetting with Michala Petri on Sunday 20 June at 5.30pm!

also - the only Rossignol in Greater London ..............

Sorry - there's also one on the Nigel Church organ at All Saints Church in Friern Barnet - maybe if it were quiet enough and we opened the doors of both churches they could duet!!

A

Sorry - there's also one on the Nigel Church organ at All Saints Church in Friern Barnet - maybe if it were quiet enough and we opened the doors of both churches they could duet!!

A

Thank you - I'm quite pleased to know this; I did wonder whether my comment would flush out any others!

Wednesday evening (23rd)

Southwell Minster, 7.30pm

Philip White-Jones

£7 (£5 concessions)

Tournemire - Improvisation sur le 'Te Deum'

Buxtehude - Prelude & Fugue in F# minor

Howells - Master Tallis's Testament

Daquin - Noel X

Peeters - Variations on an original theme

Dupre - Symphonie-Passion

Have to say I'm looking forward to this one!

On SATURDAY 26th June, David Aprahamian Liddle, the much missed ex Alexandra Palace Organist will be playing as follows;

Bloomsbury Baptist Church at 4pm 235 Shaftesbury Avenue, London WC2H,

Details of programme on www.bloomsbury.org.uk

Information 020 7240 0544.

Admission free, retiring collection, buffet tea to follow.

Colin Richell.

This Wednesday (23rd June), Clive Driskill-Smith plays at Christchurch Priory in Dorset. Doors open at 7 for 7.30pm.

The programme is:

Flourish for an Occasion - WILLIAM HARRIS (1883-1973)

Choral No 2 - CESAR FRANCK (1822-1890)

Organ Concerto Op 4 No 5 in F - G. F. HANDEL (1685-1759)

Larghetto in F# minor - S. S. WESLEY (1810-1876)

Tuba Tune - NORMAN COCKER (1889-1953)

Fantasia in F Minor K.608 - W. A. MOZART (1756-1791)

Salamanca - GUY BOVET (b.1942)

Variations sur un Noël - MARCEL DUPRE (1886-1971)

The annual evening concert series at Christchurch is excellent and deserves to be better known. Forthcoming recitals in this year's series include Margaret Phillips, Thomas Heywood, Carleton Etherington and Hugh Morris. The ticket price (£6) is modest, and the setting is inspirational. All the recitals use the (mobile) nave console. There is ample parking, and a good collection of pubs and restaurants for post- (or pre-) concert imbibing...

More information about the venue at http://www.christchurchpriory.org/.

Peter,

I would like to go to this, but then I saw what was on at Evensong at York and had a fuel/time/musical debate with myself!

D'Arcy and his mother are both wonderful characters. His programme looks excellent - enjoy!

Best Wishes.

It was a spledid recital, but was spoilt slightly by a cypher half way through a piece, but was duly stopped, as was a bad one, and Micael Smith, the organist, and Paul Derret, got it sorted in quick time, hats off to all concerned. "Play continued" with out further hitch. Met them both a few times now, and his mum is certainly a great lady.

For something that will make a change, Keith Hearnshaw is there on aug 31st, and will certainly be different, recomended

Peter