Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments 2

sbarber49

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Belfast on securing Matthew, and best wishes to Matthew as he takes up the post.  Matthew's wife is a local girl, so he knows the place well - as a previous Organist & Master of the Choristers at St. Anne's, I have very fond memories of Belfast and Northern Ireland, and the rejuvenation and enthusiastic development of activities at the Cathedral (following a traumatic period under a previous Dean - the present one and his predecessor have worked wonders) makes me very happy.

5 hours ago, David Cynan Jones said:

Geoffrey Webber to step down as Precentor and Director of Music after 30 years at Gonville and Caius College in Cambridge.

Dr Webber stepped down in April. Dr Christopher Robinson was Acting Precentor for the Easter Term now finished.

2 hours ago, David Cynan Jones said:

I was only going on the information in the advertisement and not to get into the debate around his unfortunate departure. 

It was not my intention to start any such debate. My point, however, is that both the advert and my message put the 'stepping down' in the past tense.

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/06/2019 at 21:46, David Drinkell said:

Congratulations to Belfast on securing Matthew, and best wishes to Matthew as he takes up the post.  Matthew's wife is a local girl, so he knows the place well - as a previous Organist & Master of the Choristers at St. Anne's, I have very fond memories of Belfast and Northern Ireland, and the rejuvenation and enthusiastic development of activities at the Cathedral (following a traumatic period under a previous Dean - the present one and his predecessor have worked wonders) makes me very happy.

In connection with this I see from the September issue of the now monthly (not bi-monthly) Choir & Organ magazine that David Stevens (who will be succeeded at Belfast by Matthew Owens) is going the other way to be ADoM of Wells Cathedral.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just back from Ian Tracey's superb recital at Bridlington Priory.  It was announced at the beginning of the performance that Michael Smith, organist and master of the choristers, is retiring at Christmas after 32 years in the post.  A sad loss to the Priory but hopefully his soon-to-be-announced successor will carry on the fantastic work he's been doing.  At least he/she will be inheriting a superb organ in very fine voice indeed.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ptindall said:

Welcome to Ruffatti? 

I'm sorry - perhaps I am being a little dense - but I don't understand that comment!

I thought the organ at Gonville & Caius was by Klais - put there in the early 1980's! Is there a move to replace it?

12 minutes ago, S_L said:

I'm sorry - perhaps I am being a little dense - but I don't understand that comment!

I thought the organ at Gonville & Caius was by Klais - put there in the early 1980's! Is there a move to replace it?

Ruffatti made tonal changes to the Keble Chapel organ quite recently.

"I wasn't aware that DCJ was an alumni of Caius! I apologise to him." 

I'm not but a very good friend of mine is and during the time when he was up at Cambridge (during the time when they had an AATTBarB choir under the direction of Peter Tranchell) I visited about five or six times each year and became immersed in the jargon which has obviously stuck in my mind. So there is no need for an apology.