Appointments 2

sbarber49

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/10/2019 at 21:59, Sanderman26 said:

Paul Dewhurst (Organist and Choir Master @ Leeds Minster) to Bridlington Priory per January 2020.

Not encouraging news for Leeds.  Paul lasted less than three years.  I did hear there is an 'issue' in the Diocese because Ripon and Wakefield Cathedrals (naturally) want to support their traditional music foundations, and Leeds may therefore have to 'cater' for the less traditional forms of music and worship.  If this is true, it is a sad end to the long tradition of music at 'Leeds Parish Church' (sorry, I can't get used to calling it Leeds Minster).

• 1 month later...
On 28/10/2019 at 15:50, Dr Nigel H Day said:

Not encouraging news for Leeds.  Paul lasted less than three years.  I did hear there is an 'issue' in the Diocese because Ripon and Wakefield Cathedrals (naturally) want to support their traditional music foundations, and Leeds may therefore have to 'cater' for the less traditional forms of music and worship.  If this is true, it is a sad end to the long tradition of music at 'Leeds Parish Church' (sorry, I can't get used to calling it Leeds Minster).

I saw the advert! It made it clear that Paul Dewhurst was leaving because of his commitments closer to the East coast and that Bridlington was a sensible move for him. It also said that prospective applicants were welcome to contact him to discuss the position - which shows a certain amount of transparency of behalf of the Leeds authorities.

The current music list at Leeds is standard 'Cathedral type faire' with nothing to frighten a prospective applicant and they are advertising for Choral Scholars for the forthcoming academic year to sing three choral services a week. If we are indulging in gossip, and I'm not sure that is a good idea, I heard that the music at Leeds Minster was almost 'dead on its feet' at the end of the last regime and that the new Vicar was wise to be a 'new broom sweeping clean'! 

But, of course, it is only gossip on the grapevine!!!

This from Alex Woodrow's Facebook page regarding his appointment to succeed Paul Dewhurst at Leeds Minster -

Many thanks for all of the messages of good wishes over the last few days. I'm delighted to share with friends that I shall be returning to West Yorkshire for some of the week from late February, to take up the position of Director of Music at Leeds Minster. I am thrilled about this as it is a church that I know very well from my Bradford days and I have always found it a friendly and inspiring place. 

I shall still be spending a few days each week in Solihull, where I am hoping to sustain my piano and organ teaching at Solihull School. It will be good to keep in touch with friendly Midlanders. 

I didn't want to draw much attention to my news when it was announced at Leeds on Remembrance Sunday, for obvious reasons, but news has a habit of spreading, and I'm hugely looking forward to this move and to a return to Yorkshire. 

Meanwhile, there will soon be a very attractive organ playing position open at St Alphege Church, Solihull, which has been a key part of my life since February 2017. I really encourage high quality organists to give it a serious look: there is a superb level of music making at that church, and plenty of freelance work around these parts to sustain one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I understand Stephen Darlington will be looking after the choirs at Worcester College Oxford for two terms, while a more permanent successor to Thomas Allery is sought.

As Edward Higginbottom does the same at St Peter's College, and as Matthew Martin prepares to leave Keble College at Easter, it seems a lot of change is afoot below the dreaming spires!

Not an appointment as such but Robert Quinney, is on sabbatical leave this term at New College, Oxford, and the chapel is delighted to welcome Dr James Lancelot, Canon Organist Emeritus and formerly Master of the Choristers and Organist at Durham Cathedral as his replacement.

Further details are available in the Chapel Music Booklet for the Term.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2020 at 19:19, David Cynan Jones said:

Not an appointment as such but Robert Quinney, is on sabbatical leave this term at New College, Oxford, and the chapel is delighted to welcome Dr James Lancelot, Canon Organist Emeritus and formerly Master of the Choristers and Organist at Durham Cathedral as his replacement.

Further details are available in the Chapel Music Booklet for the Term.

Their Assistant Organist advert is out: https://isw.changeworknow.co.uk/new_college_oxford/vms/e/careers/positions/bnLVV002beuPWTyL-vU8xa