Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments 2

sbarber49

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 29/06/2021 at 23:43, DaveHarries said:

Some news from Sheffield Cathedral which emerged today, 29th June.

Anyone who might have wondered what the implications might have been of appointing someone not used to Cathedral life need not worry however: the announcement has now been made today, 29-Jun-2021, that the next Dean of Sheffield is to be Rev. Canon Abigail Thompson who is currently Acting Dean and Sub-Dean of St. Albans Cathedral but is no stranger to the Diocese of Sheffield or the cathedral there. In his introduction, which can be found on YouTube, the Bishop of Sheffield describes Canon Thompson as "an accomplished musician with a particularly strong track record for developing choirs."

In relation to both this and the post above it regarding a new ADoM at Llandaff, it seems that things are looking more optimistic there with the announcement of a new Chapter Clerk/Chief Executive who describes himself as being "a cathedral musician full and part-time since the age of 8"

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am not sure if this appeared here but the website of St. Mary's Church, Beaminster (Dorset) informs readers that their search for a new organist concluded in September 2021 with the appointment as organist of Dr. Peter Nardone (ex. Chelmsford Cahtedral and Worcester Cathedral) who had been covering for services over the summer and, in the words of the blog, "liked us so much that he decided to apply for the job."

https://beaminsterteamchurches.org/beaminsters-new-organist/

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rochester Cathedral:

Director of Music and Organist vacancy in South East (churchtimes.co.uk)

Keble College, Oxford

Director of Music vacancy in London and Home Counties (churchtimes.co.uk)

R.C. Diocese of Leeds

Full-time Choral Director vacancy in Yorkshire and Lincs (churchtimes.co.uk)

And, on the subject of Choral Foundations I have been watching the celebration of the Mass and of  Evensong, broadcast regularly, on YouTube, from Merton College, Oxford. And, I have to say, how impressed I have been with the quality and choice of the music. 

On 23/01/2022 at 14:02, David Cynan Jones said:

Simon Pearce currently Assistant Organist at St Davids Cathedral appointed Organist and Master of the Choristers at Ty Ddewi 

Announcement on Twitter

The "Church Services" list in the Daily Telegraph says that Mr. Pearce will be installed this Sunday, 13th March, during Evensong. I would watch it online (Ty Dewi do have a YouTube channel) but it seems they don't steam / upload their services there nowadays.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I see Keble Oxford and Queens Cambridge are both advertising for a new Director of Music.  Essentially the same hours, same requirements, same sort of set up.  Keble offer a FTE salary of £49,667; Queens £31,250!

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, DHM said:

James O’Donnell to leave Westminster Abbey at Christmas after nearly 23 years, to take up a Professorship at Yale.

A highly successful innings by Dr O'Donnell. With this post and also the permanent Organist job at St Paul's still going since Simon Johnson moved to Westminster Cathedral, there should be some interesting shuffling to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news for Rochester. This will be Adrian's 3rd job here, having worked at the Cathedral as Organist 2013-2015 and Interim Director of Music 2018-2019.
The job title for the last few years has been "Director of Music and Organist" (since the DoM appointed in 2008 was not required to be an organist).

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, michaelwilson said:

Two things I notice from the application pack:

1) The historic office of “Organist and Master of the Choristers” is open to candidates of any gender, and whilst this document reflects the convention that the two roles have been held in combination, we are open to applications from exceptional choral directors with the ability to lead across the full range of the Abbey’s music but who are not organists or would not wish to perform in that capacity.

The first, of course, is a now legal requirement but I am pleased to note that the next Master of the Choristers need not be an organist.

2) An early priority for the incoming Organist and Master of the Choristers would be to review and agree with Chapter the planned approach to the introduction of girl choristers and to lead its implementation in the near future

Absolutely!!

1 hour ago, S_L said:

Two things I notice from the application pack:

1) The historic office of “Organist and Master of the Choristers” is open to candidates of any gender, and whilst this document reflects the convention that the two roles have been held in combination, we are open to applications from exceptional choral directors with the ability to lead across the full range of the Abbey’s music but who are not organists or would not wish to perform in that capacity.

The first, of course, is a now legal requirement but I am pleased to note that the next Master of the Choristers need not be an organist.

2) An early priority for the incoming Organist and Master of the Choristers would be to review and agree with Chapter the planned approach to the introduction of girl choristers and to lead its implementation in the near future

Absolutely!!

I’m in total agreement with both of your points here!

• 3 weeks later...