Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments 2

sbarber49

On 21/10/2023 at 18:46, Martin Cooke said:

We seem to have missed Sam Bristow being appointed Sub Organist at Chelmsford Cathedral. I think this is in succession to Hilary Punnett who taken on new roles elsewhere. 

She is given as director of RSCM Voices South which she took up in September 2023 - www.rscm.org.uk%2fa-new-director-for-rscm-voices-south%2f/RK=2/RS=XqerZHO3HvmRapt_d1uGW9u2TTA- - and is also DoM of The Cathedral Singers of Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford - https://www.chch.ox.ac.uk/people/hilary-punnett

Dave

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, michaelwilson said:

I'm surprised that I haven't seen an advert for Christ Church Oxford yet. Perhaps they are considering making changes to the job description.

There are quite a number of changes taking place at Christ Church Oxford including, I understand, the separation of Cathedral and University appointments following recent difficulties.  

3 hours ago, S_L said:

There are quite a number of changes taking place at Christ Church Oxford

Announced yesterday on a legal blog I read, apparently quoting the Church Times, it is proposed that the Cathedral and College whilst remaining (uniquely) a joint foundation will have separate heads.  These proposals have been put forward and recommended by Dominic Grieve KC in his report and review of Christ Church’s internal governance.

The Dean of Christ Church will cease to be the overall head of the foundation and will have a role more akin to a conventional Cathedral Dean, and the College will have a new ‘Head of House’ with no jurisdiction in the Cathedral.  The two bodies will, in effect, be separate under the same roof.

However, under the existing Statutes the organist and the choral foundation ‘belong’ to the Cathedral, and that is to continue under the proposed scheme.  The organist has concurrently been a Fellow of Christ Church with a role in the College, and I can’t see why that should not continue under the new arrangements.  

But this is all at the proposal stage, and the C of E and the University of Oxford are also stakeholders.  The Governing Body of Christ Church has accepted the proposals in principle and are consulting their graduate members.

On 23/10/2023 at 11:38, Rowland Wateridge said:

Announced yesterday on a legal blog I read, apparently quoting the Church Times, it is proposed that the Cathedral and College whilst remaining (uniquely) a joint foundation will have separate heads.  These proposals have been put forward and recommended by Dominic Grieve KC in his report and review of Christ Church’s internal governance.

The Dean of Christ Church will cease to be the overall head of the foundation and will have a role more akin to a conventional Cathedral Dean, and the College will have a new ‘Head of House’ with no jurisdiction in the Cathedral.  The two bodies will, in effect, be separate under the same roof.

However, under the existing Statutes the organist and the choral foundation ‘belong’ to the Cathedral, and that is to continue under the proposed scheme.  The organist has concurrently been a Fellow of Christ Church with a role in the College, and I can’t see why that should not continue under the new arrangements.  

But this is all at the proposal stage, and the C of E and the University of Oxford are also stakeholders.  The Governing Body of Christ Church has accepted the proposals in principle and are consulting their graduate members.

Does the cathedral have an endowment separate from the college? I can't see how this is going to work financially, but I'm sure they already thought of that.

The situation at Christ Church, as well as being unique, is incredibly complex.  It is a joint foundation of Cathedral and College.  Whilst they have separate accounts and separate seals, as I understand there is effectively a joint paymaster and, as explained to me by an alumnus, it’s entirely a matter of internal accounting.   The foundation, not the C of E, already finances the Cathedral.  All is carefully set out in the existing Statutes.  

Uniquely, the Dean of Christ Church, not the Bishop of Oxford, is the Ordinary in the Cathedral and the Crown is the Visitor: Christ Church website states “HM The King”.  Under the proposals, the Dean’s status in the Cathedral remains unchanged so that the Bishop of Oxford is neither Ordinary nor the Visitor in his Cathedral!  A new Head of College will have to be recruited paid and housed.  The proposals already deal with Cathedral and clergy accommodation requirements and, as indicated earlier, retention of the Choral Foundation with the Cathedral.

Under the proposals it appears that the present funding arrangements, adapted as appropriate, will continue: new Statutes will be necessary and they will require the agreement of the C of E, the University and the Privy Council.  

In summary, it appears that finance will not be a problem, but there will be considerable administrative detail to be worked out and decided.  It’s not likely to happen very soon!

21 hours ago, Rowland Wateridge said:

In summary, it appears that finance will not be a problem, but there will be considerable administrative detail to be worked out and decided.  It’s not likely to happen very soon!

I think the finances of Christ Church are in a much less healthy state than they were 6 or 7 years ago. The Martyn Percy affair has been both expensive in legal fees and settlements but also hugely costly in reputational terms. Alumnae, especially from the US, take a very dim view of the way the Governing Body has handled everything.

From the last filed annual accounts (details are on the Charity Commission website) income was greater than in the previous year.  I’m not an accountant, but understand the current total value of the endowment is around £860 million.

The proposals of the Grieve report have to be considered and accepted by all parties but they do assure the continuance of the Choral Foundation and Organist which is what we are discussing here.

• 3 weeks later...

Wells Cathedral Appoints New Assistant Director of Music.

https://www.wellscathedral.org.uk/archives/33916875?fbclid=IwAR2sxudinrzEAHkiTXKrKfKFBfMagfcEG0MGn2GTZTJWitw4A7BfhvRZh8g

They now have an interim Director of of Music whose substantive post is the Assistant Director and a new Assistant Director. HR must surely know something we don't.

I think an HR expert would have a lot to say about this sequence of events.  It's rather obvious what is going to happen - and if it does - they have done it in the wrong order.  I hope the HR folk have made 100% certain her work permit is permanent (not my area, just a comment).

1 hour ago, Dr Nigel H Day said:

I hope the HR folk have made 100% certain her work permit is permanent (not my area, just a comment).

One would hope so. I seem to remember a clause/comment in the advert mentioning permission to work, permanently, in the UK.

On 24/11/2023 at 12:23, David Cynan Jones said:

Director of Music at the Cathedral and Abbey Church of St Alban.

Advert on the Cathedral website

As the advert says, the DoM reports to the Dean of St. Albans whom I once had the pleasure of meeting when she was Archdeacon of Canterbury and was in Bristol Cathedral (which she had to be as the ADoC gives the Archbishop's mandate to the Dean) for the enthronement of the Bishop. We talked about Bristol Cathedral and she took interest in what my Dad (who was one of the guides of Bristol Cathedral at the time) was telling her about the history of the building. A good sort IMO.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/11/2023 at 11:25, David Cynan Jones said:

Wells Cathedral Appoints New Assistant Director of Music.

https://www.wellscathedral.org.uk/archives/33916875?fbclid=IwAR2sxudinrzEAHkiTXKrKfKFBfMagfcEG0MGn2GTZTJWitw4A7BfhvRZh8g

They now have an interim Director of of Music whose substantive post is the Assistant Director and a new Assistant Director. HR must surely know something we don't.

Top job advert now out, but as the musings already posted suggest, it's hard to see how this is anything other than a formality!!

• 1 month later...
On 30/10/2023 at 07:33, michaelwilson said:

They will presumably have to make an interim appointment at least until Trinity Term, or more likely until the summer if they don't get the advert out soon (assuming the new appointee will be giving three months notice to their current employer).

The interim appointment at Christ Church is, of course, Stephen Darlington (until July).

I think the advert for a permanent post is waiting on a decision as to what that post will actually entail, as alluded upthread.

• 2 weeks later...