Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments

Guest Barry Williams

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

From the facebook page of the group supporting the choir; a note which explains the transitional phase:

[The new choirmaster] doesn't start until after Easter, so we have to be patient. John Mann [the new dean] has done more for the Cathedral in four months than his predecessor managed in ten years. A pity he couldn't right the one terrible wrong that took place.

Paul

From the facebook page of the group supporting the choir; a note which explains the transitional phase:

Paul

============================

That's a crumb of comfort at least, but I think it emphasises what I've said previously about the power of particular individuals within the church; sometimes used wisely, but often not.

MM

"Transitional phase" is an interesting spin on it! The new Master of the Choristers (they couldn't call it DoM as they made the last one redundant!) will have to start from scratch at St Anne's. There is currently a choir that could at best be described as being suitable for a medium size parish church. Only the Eucharist is sung to mainly unison Congregational type settings and no evensong. David Stevens is obviously a man who likes a challenge! Good luck to him, he will need some luck........

That's interesting. I love the Isle of Man - we used to go there for breaks as it's only twenty minutes by plane from Belfast. I took the choristers there for a week one year and we sang all over the place, including the Cathedral. At the time, I don't think there was any musical tradition there - when I went to spy out the land some weeks before, there was no organist and Evensong was accompanied by a lady on a piano. St. German's has only been a cathedral for about thirty years. The old cathedral is a ruin and the bishop's seat was for centuries in his private chapel. Big diocesan events tended to take place in one of the churches in Douglas - I think it was St. Thomas's.

Peter Litman is a very fine organist. I hadn't come across him before he came to Ruthin, a good choice of IoM. How strange David Drinkell should mention his visit to the IoM from Belfast, I was there at the same time visiting the railways (as you do) and came across them all at, I think, Douglas. I mentioned to DD what I was doing there and he admitted that was why he really came there.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also - interesting - Iain Simcock now installed at St Mungo's Cathedral Glasgow - seemingly also continuing his work with the Maîtrise de l'Académie Vocale de Paris. 'Good for Glasgow!

A

• 4 weeks later...